Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Forbidden City (General Discussion)
View previous topic : View next topic

favorite club?
 3%  [ 1 ]
wish
48%
 48%  [ 15 ]
mercury lounge
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
b side
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
abbasso
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
cloud 9
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
spy
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
moda
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
other
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 31

Posted by: validation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 "The Situation"
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:09 pm
 Post Post subject: favorite club?

i asked this in the past, curious what people's answers will be this time around . . .

Posted by: Jugoe Boss Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:42 pm
 Post Post subject:

I think Karma has the best layout.

Mercury is the most consitant but often annoying.

Cloud 9 has the best dj booth (and that is all I am going to say about that)

Spy had sooo much potential.

Wish's basement is one of my favorite rooms in the city...if they could only fix the sound on the first floor!

B Sides has potential as well, but I just don't find it to be too inviting.

V-bar could be cool..lets see what happens with that.

I just wish Touch was still open.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Posted by: candice radin Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:43 pm
 Post Post subject:

mine's definitely Wish now......i'm starting to feel really comfortable in there. i especially like the martini lounge. i also can name a few people that have already taken little naps in there (yes, including myself)......starting to get homey Wink

Posted by: Tekatoka Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:30 pm
 Post Post subject:

Wish looks great since they've remodeled the upstairs, but they MUST stabilize the booth. People have to be able to dance and jump without sending the tonearm into an olympic track and field event. If people thought the skipping was bad at the Pete Moss show, just imagine how horrible it could have been if Steve G or Ty Tek were there...People were dancing 2x as forcefully as they were at Pete Moss, if you can imagine that!

Moda still has potential if they'd darken it up; put it less on the white room tip and more on the industrial tip to mirror Cleveland. I think they'd also benefit greatly from a second room, a small side chill room with a house or downtempo tip to provide contrast from the main room.

Cloud 9's sound is good but only if you're standing in the dance floor; otherwise it's like a regular bar, and most people who aren't there to dance only catch "the sweet spot" on their way to and from the bathroom.

I've never really thought of Mercury as a club and more as just a bar with music. Very little room to dance; lots of bar-hopping in and out.

I like Karma for a "disco" or glam vibe, but not so much for deeper tones.

I like B-Side for the clientele, neighborhood, concept....needs a little "push," though.

Spy has always been a struggle to find room to dance.

I'm still waiting for my big dark room. Arc, Twilo, Space, Filter 14, Anu, 111 Minna St, System Soundbar,RedNoFive (downstairs)......So far Abbasso is the only thing that comes close. You know you're not just at any old bar, but it's also not so overclubbed that you can't just hang out, either. It's also a "destination," so we're not dealing with annoying foot traffic.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Posted by: Tiesto Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:49 pm
 Post Post subject:

headrushmusic wrote:
I'm still waiting for my big dark room. Arc, Twilo, Space, Filter 14, Anu, 111 Minna St, System Soundbar,RedNoFive (downstairs)......

Werd... too bad half of those are closed. RedNo had an unbeatable vibe. I'd also put Motor on the list. I too miss the big, dirty, loud and grungy venues. Can't vote, 'cause I can't think of a venue in Cleveland that stands out above the others.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

"The Situation"
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:33 pm
 Post Post subject:

i think spy has potential, but needs a professional manager or consultant to go in there and revamp the place.

i think moda serves it's purpose, but i also think they should have created a side room. i really think a side room would help them increase business.

i like karma's layout a lot. my biggest beef with them is there lack of inventory. the other night i couldn't find any of the drinks i like- no stoli, no hoegaarden, no amstel, seemingly no beers except corona light, bud, and the other domestics!

abbasso is cool, but i actually like having foot traffic to add a little substance to an event. without it you rely stricly on destination traffic, which is tough in this city!

never been to vivo's v bar. i have had problems with their management in the past and have heard horror stories from other people about them, so i'm very skeptical of doing anything there.

i love mercury- prol my favorite "bar." very consistent- you always know what you will get when you go there.

wish's basement is my favorite spot downtown. i agree about the middle floor and the upstairs. the upstairs should hopefully be fixed this week. to me, this is the house music mecca of downtown.

cloud 9 definitely has the best booth downtown. they do however, have sweet spots in their system. only really go there when j long is playing, so i can't really comment on their nighttime vibe. i have had fun at their wednesday hip hop night though. and jason used to drop sick sets there.

b side just improved their soundsystem on i enjoy the house head crowd that shows up on fridays. if it could me more consistent, it would be an even doper place to play/hang.

i miss touch too! the closest vibes i have felt since their closing was at jazzanova at wish and ?uestlove at karma. the heads showed up!

I<3CNL
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:37 pm
 Post Post subject:

dj vodka wrote:

i actually like having foot traffic to add a little substance to an event.

"Substance?" Surely you don't mean the people who generally refuse to pay cover when four places down the street will let them in for free, and the people who walk up to a house DJ to request Twista !?! :fork:

Posted by: Phoenix Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 CNL Bigmouth
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:49 pm
 Post Post subject:

At first, Bsides was my fav after I moved back in town, as it's right down the street from me and it was the first place I knew of that played house music in Cleveland, upon my move back here from Chicago last Sept. I still love that place, but I wish I had more company on the dancefloor. Except for a few other free spirits (usually girls whose slacker boyfriends are too chicken to dance so lurk on the side) most people just lounge at the bar and on the furniture. At times, it feels like I'm puttin' on a show at that place. lol ...just reaffirms my viewpoint that Cleveland has the most boring liberals I've ever laid eyes on, with the exception of you guys. I swear, after I moved back here last Sept, I thought this city was a Republican town. To be fair, most of the cool people move away from here when they're 18-21.

Cloud Nine became my next fav spot thereafter, when I stumbled upon Justin Long's once-a-residency there, which blew me away. I'm still tryin' to get over that. Much cheese there in the way of patronage, though. Next time I'll bring crackers, so I can make sandwiches. lol

After hittin' up WISH over their continuous strong summer events, I've decided long ago that WISH is #1. They seem to be landing the djs that just played at my homebase SMARTBAR (Chicago) a day or two prior, which says a LOT. The people there are wayyyyy cool, too. See u guys there! Razz

p.s. Still have to check out Abasso, but WISH always seems to lure me away on their nights. Karma... I want to check this place out, but mixing top 40 w/ house is sacralidge to me.. and got over half naked chick shows when I was 21. ...still, I would like to see the layout.

I<3CNL
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:52 pm
 Post Post subject:

dj vodka wrote:
you rely stricly on destination traffic, which is tough in this city!

Something that's even more tough when SCENE publishes the wrong date of your event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Angered

Please note: Trendroid will be taking place on July 24, not July 22.

Posted by: jbunny Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:14 pm
 Post Post subject:

Karma - sugar room is cool. But the club is big so it is rarely full which suxs. Not to hot on the Staying Alive dance floor.
Wish - the basement is def my new favorite spot. You can't beat the intimate atmosphere, but the sound could use some work.
Mercury lounge - I've always liked Mercury, good size, nice layout.
B-side - Going to for the first time tomorrow to see Matt Dear.
Abbasso - Not the same w/o Naps.
Cloud 9 - Sweet sound system. The VIP area is retarded, who is going to pay extra to sit by the wall?
Spy - Haven't been since I use to harass Doug by the dj booth asking him what mixer I should buy my boyfriend.
Moda - I wish the dj booth was lower and not up in a big cone. A side room would be a great idea.

I guess my favorite spot would be Wish since that is where I regularly see people. But it still doesn't feel like homebase. I miss having a regular afterhours.

Posted by: ashybutclassy Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:17 pm
 Post Post subject:

jugoe wrote:

I just wish Touch was still open.

U and me both.

Posted by: ashybutclassy Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:24 pm
 Post Post subject:

headrushmusic wrote:
dj vodka wrote:
you rely stricly on destination traffic, which is tough in this city!

Something that's even more tough when SCENE publishes the wrong date of your event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Angered

Please note: Trendroid will be taking place on July 24, not July 22.

Deep breathing...In...Out.....

Seriously, I feel your pain.

"The Situation"
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:28 am
 Post Post subject:

yeah, sucks when papers print wrong dates. at least you got a story. nobody in this town did shit on ?uestlove or kaskade- 2 huge figures in the music industry.

what i meant by "substance" was extra bodies on the dancefloor. take the door variable out of it and i think we can all agree that 100 people dancing is better than 10.

Posted by: jbunny Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:26 am
 Post Post subject:

Does Rain have potential? Haven't been yet.

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:41 am
 Post Post subject:

Wish - management seems receptive to EDM, basement is cool. First floor and second floor sound need work though (obviously some of that is being accomplished) and its a big place to fill.

Abbasso - nice size, potential management issues, out-of-the-way

Mercury - bar crowd, not many fluctuations in residents, etc.

Cloud Nine - Great DJ booth, management issues and fromage/powder room crowd.

Spy - aren't they basically top 40 and hip-hop now? Layout never seemed to work right IMO

Karma - 3-room setup is cool, the decor (other than the sugar room) isn't. Weak sound in the two main rooms.

Moda - Great Sound but too big...have to cater to the mainstream to fill it. Too cold/impersonal (both decor and some staff). It may belong to the feds before too long.

Metropolis - Great sound but can't seem to hold a crowd these days unless its for fromage events. Kaotic is playing what was church night. Mgmt?

B-Side - cool space, sound needed work when I was last there, management doesn't seem too into EDM?

V-Bar - nicest small-club layout in town, no sound, potential management issues?

Touch - I miss it too...Jeff seemed like he'd have been really easy to work with and the spot rocked.

I need a spare million to construct the 'right' space.

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:48 am
 Post Post subject:

Quote:
Does Rain have potential? Haven't been yet.

I don't know why I even bother posting this since you're not going to read it...but I think Rain has potential only because it is small, has a dope patio, and its extremely casual. The sound / dj set up needs some work, but other than that, I think it can be a lot of fun with the right crowd. I haven't been there for Fracture yet, but I know Tuesdays are cool and August 12th will be really fun.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

"The Situation"
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:05 am
 Post Post subject:

jude- i read your post.

jamie- did you not like the sound at karma for ?uest?

also- not sure why people think b sides is not receptive to dance music. they actually are very receptive to it. however, if i night doesn't bring in anybody to support it, they will obviously evaluate what is and isn't working. to be honest, i thought they were going to be much "rockier" when they were building it. however, the owner actually didn't want to go in that direction- she wanted a little lounge/club with electronic music. however, since eastsiders are generally not up-to-date on good music, she is starting to wonder what will work there.

also, their sound has been fixed and is close to perfect now.

i forgot to list metropolis in the poll- hmm, what's that tell you?

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:13 am
 Post Post subject:

Quote:
jamie- did you not like the sound at karma for ?uest?

I spent most of the time listening to ?uest through the booth monitors which he turned out instead of using them (I guess the man doesn't like monitors). My main issue with Karma's sound is the subs. The middle room has shit for bass because the subs are way over by the bathroom. Also in both the middle and back room they have the subs stacked on top of one another as opposed to being placed on the ground where they belong IMO. Thus karma's sound comes across to me as being rather thin on the bottom end. I think that re-evaluating their speaker placement could do a lot to help this though.

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:21 am
 Post Post subject:

Quote:
jude- i read your post.

That wasn't directed at you.

"The Situation"
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:26 am
 Post Post subject:

ok gotcha. i agree. i was by the booth everytime i could stop and listen, so i didn't really notice the sound too much anywhere else.

Page 1 of 2