Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Suggestions, Support, and Bug Reports
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:24 pm
 Post Post subject: Post validation

We are still working out the bugs on the new way of validating posts in events sections.

The intention is to make it easier to split posts with this mod - which it does well! When you post a new topic, it has to be validated. Simple, right?

Well the downside, that we just found out about today, is that even if you validate the original post the rest of the thread stays in validation mode by default. It is easily enough turned off, but there was some confusion as to procedure. A temporary fix for admins has been issued, and it won't be a problem from here on out.

On the topic of moderated/validated threads... we won't be doing this by default. However, if an events thread goes offtopic by 3 posts without resolution we may choose to enable validation until a resolution is reached. I don't want appear to be biased, but one of the main objectives of the forum is give every promoter a fair shake.

As for regular threads, there may be times when validation is enabled to give people a chance to cool off in case of an arguement. I don't expect this to happen regularly, but it is a new option.

Justin, sorry you were the first guinea pig and got caught. We (hopefully) have it fixed now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: validation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 "The Situation"
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:17 pm
 Post Post subject:

post validation is wack. sorry.

Posted by: El Prezidente Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:25 am
 Post Post subject:

Jim Beam wrote:
post validation is wack. sorry.

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:57 am
 Post Post subject:

From a moderator's point of view it is much easier than splitting threads.

This is faster that splitting posts, which I don't see how you can be complaining about.

Still working on the bug of editing the first post, because whole threads should not be getting marked invalid. Unfortunately my coding skills can't find the bug and the author's of the mod speak french. If that is not resolved in a few weeks, I will install a different validaiton mod. When it is working smoothly, I don't see a downside because it allows for threads to be split much faster.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: ramzi Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:45 pm
 Post Post subject:

Cleveland Night Life has drifted pretty far from a place for "honest discussion." Posts need validation. Event announcements are massaged. Threads are pulled. Posts are pulled.

Is any of this for the better?

R

Posted by: Random(seed) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Level 3 Dungeon Master
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:03 pm
 Post Post subject:

ramzi wrote:
Cleveland Night Life has drifted pretty far from a place for "honest discussion." Posts need validation. Event announcements are massaged. Threads are pulled. Posts are pulled.

R

Mans gotta point there Wink

Posted by: Naps Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mix Librarian
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:06 pm
 Post Post subject:

Yeah I don't like the whole validation thing at all! Razz

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:46 pm
 Post Post subject:

ramzi wrote:

R

Event announcements are moderated for the purpose of maintaning continuity. That hasn't changed in over half the existence of the forum.

Validation was implemented to replace the afore mentioned system and to allow for threads to get created much quicker. If the actual mod worked properly, it would be transparent and suit our needs perfectly. The mod itself has bugs which are discussed in this thread.

Just to clarify...
- Validation is *NOT* enabled in 8 of the 10 forums here so you would never see it in them.
- Individual posts are rarely pulled, there are exceptions. We enforce courtesy in threads, and if someone wants to argue semantics enough to make a stuipd comment then it becomes a side debate in the drama section. If you think something sucks enought to piss in someone else's event announcement you deserve your own thread. Period. When this happens, a link is placed in the thread so that people know where it went.
- Threads are rarely pulled, unless it is agreed upon by the people in the thread that they got into a stupid arguement. If someone is being downright cruel, a thread might get yanked as well.

I haven't been a part of the day to day workings of the form since July - but honest discussion still goes on here. However - regarding events, save it for the review.

Please, feel free to point out specific examples about what you speak of. I'll start.

You mentioned missing threads a couple of times in the past. We were doing pruning of threads that were inactive for 6 months specifically to save space and improve performance. My webhost said we don't have to do that anymore, so we don't. Also, the last time I did it - I announced it like 2 months in advance so that people could bump threads they didn't want lost.

In the past when discussing missing threads, they were simply moved from current events to reviews. You didn't seem to follow that logic and said you couldn't find the review. Most other people don't seem to have a problem with that.

Finally, you started saying this form wasn't allowing free speach when you posted pics of drug use in a review thread. The promoter asked that it be pulled from his event review. This was prior to having a drama area on the form. That stuff was removed at the request of the thread owner, because he felt it was damaging to his production company and he can't control what people do and don't do at an event. If then was now, I think all mods here would have agreed to split the offtopic discuss to the drama section. Largely this is done to prevent PUBLIC forms which are OPEN to all SEARCH engines from spitting back crap like that.

The validation thing has its problems, I know. When I have free time I was going to remove it and try the other one that is offered. I just don't have the time right now. If the mods would remember NO RED LINE at the bottom of the screen, you would only see validation turn back on when the first post in the thread gets edited.

Posted by: ramzi Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:19 am
 Post Post subject:

Doug Burkhart wrote:

Finally, you started saying this form wasn't allowing free speach when you posted pics of drug use in a review thread.

For the record, I just zoomed in on a picture that the promoter posted.

I read 3 forums regularly and none of them do the heavy admin that CNL does. All are more active and stay pretty on-topic.

The CNL admin policy in the event board did stop the annoying *bump* posts.

R

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:08 am
 Post Post subject:

ramzi wrote:
All are more active and stay pretty on-topic.

Good for them.

Feel free to post them.

Posted by: Can't we all get along? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:40 pm
 Post Post subject: Validation

Ok I totally get why topics need to be validated, but does anyone know why individual posts need validation?

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:45 pm
 Post Post subject:

it's a bug with the mod.

When the thread author posts, it turns back on "validation" for the thread and it has to be turned back off by a moderator.

Also, if a moderator forgets to turn it off for the thread (sometimes they just press the validation button) then that causes the same problem.

"The Situation"
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:43 pm
 Post Post subject:

kill the bug

kill

the

bug.

please?

so ... annoying.

Posted by: ROBTRONIX Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:49 pm
 Post Post subject:

I think you should seriously kill the validation for some of these Detroit events this weekend.
It really kinda sucks when your trying to make plans and can't even see any info on it.

"The Situation"
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:39 am
 Post Post subject:

post validation = so lame. mods, please take it off for a week and let the public decide if it's worthwhile.

Exclamation

Question

Posted by: NRM Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mod from the Future
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:41 pm
 Post Post subject:

misterbradleyp wrote:
post validation = so lame. mods, please take it off for a week and let the public decide if it's worthwhile.

Exclamation

Question

shut it

Page 1 of 1