Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Suggestions, Support, and Bug Reports
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: ramzi Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:30 am
 Post Post subject: Where did the event calendar go?

Where did the event calendar go?

R

Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:30 am
 Post Post subject:

http://clevelandnightlife.net/viewtopic.php?t=4948
http://clevelandnightlife.net/viewtopic.php?t=4967
http://clevelandnightlife.net/viewtopic.php?t=4954

Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Trainspotter
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:34 am
 Post Post subject:

OK. Well while you are upgrading...

Could you maybe re-think the use of "stickies" and the "completed events" section.

Too many stickies are clogging the forums.

Threads disappear for events.

Just my thougts...

Other forums I'm on seem less cluttered and it is easy to find threads cause they don't jump locations.

R

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:38 am
 Post Post subject:

ramzi wrote:
OK. Well while you are upgrading...

Could you maybe re-think the use of "stickies" and the "completed events" section.

Too many stickies are clogging the forums.

Just my thougts...

Other forums I'm on seem less cluttered and it is easy to find threads cause they don't jump locations.

R

Threads disappear for events? What do you mean? When an event is no longer current it moves to the reviews section. I think we should probably be leaving the shadow topic though, we just wanted to keep that area relevant and clean. Other thoughts?

I agree that there are too many stickies in the DJ'S & Producers forum, but no other thread is clogged with them. Perhaps a classifieds area to replace those.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:07 am
 Post Post subject:

Doug Burkhart wrote:
ramzi wrote:

R

I'm still really confused about this.

When we move from the "current events" to the "reviews section" the thread id stays the same so even if you bookmark it, it isn't lost. I think that's a better solution than cluttering up current events with reviews or even with shadow topics.

Trainspotter
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:41 pm
 Post Post subject:

Doug Burkhart wrote:
When we move from the "current events" to the "reviews section" the thread id stays the same so even if you bookmark it, it isn't lost.

The pop ups for the calendar don't work too well for me on the browsers I use - Safari and Explorer on the Mac. The popups popup but don't disappear after mouse off. Plus they usually explode off the screen and I can't read them.

So I am used to going to the events section and scanning the threads for events of interest.

After an event, I am still trying to go to the events section to find the event.

Just my preference due to the fact that the calendar doesn't work so well for me.

R

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:48 am
 Post Post subject:

ramzi wrote:
Doug Burkhart wrote:
When we move from the "current events" to the "reviews section" the thread id stays the same so even if you bookmark it, it isn't lost.

The pop ups for the calendar don't work too well for me on the browsers I use - Safari and Explorer on the Mac. The popups popup but don't disappear after mouse off. Plus they usually explode off the screen and I can't read them.

So I am used to going to the events section and scanning the threads for events of interest.

After an event, I am still trying to go to the events section to find the event.

Just my preference due to the fact that the calendar doesn't work so well for me.

R

My game plan is to go back to the original Calandar we had, but it may not work. Adding events was easier, and that javascript thing isn't there. I'm fairly sure the javascript preloads those images so even if I go back to the one we were using I won't add in that code.

Would you recommend leaving "shadow topics" in the event forum that take you to the review? Personally, I don't like the clutter but if people find it easier I'm more than happy to put up with it. Possibly we'll put it to a vote Wink

Thanks for the much welcomed input!

Trainspotter
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:35 am
 Post Post subject:

Doug Burkhart wrote:
Would you recommend leaving "shadow topics" in the event forum that take you to the review?

I'd say go with one or the other...

Either leave the threads or move them. The shadow is, in effect, leaving the thread and duplicating the thread - generating "clutter."

R

Posted by: Derek Carney Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:59 pm
 Post Post subject:

clutter... clutter... clutter....

I'm having a difficult time keeping my fangs inside my mouth...

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

:evil:

Trainspotter
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:28 pm
 Post Post subject:

D3R3K wrote:

CNL.NET requires a heck of a lot of hands-on moderating with the posting to the events forum, calendar, stickies, banners, and jumping threads.

For a software system this is the antithesis of automatic.

If any of the moderators want to sleep in one Sunday the whole system is thrown off.

I know this was done to keep the forums tidy and stop the "bump" posts, but I find the CNL.net harder to navigate than the ableton, mnml, and experimental behavior forums (and I use the cnl.net forum more than any of the above).

R

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:12 pm
 Post Post subject:

ramzi wrote:
D3R3K wrote:

CNL.NET requires a heck of a lot of hands-on moderating with the posting to the events forum, calendar, stickies, banners, and jumping threads.

For a software system this is the antithesis of automatic.

If any of the moderators want to sleep in one Sunday the whole system is thrown off.

I know this was done to keep the forums tidy and stop the "bump" posts, but I find the CNL.net harder to navigate than the ableton, mnml, and experimental behavior forums (and I use the cnl.net forum more than any of the above).

R

We haven't used the stickies in the events threads for almost 3 months. That WAS too much work, but Derek wanted to do it.

If you paid attention to some of the stuff that gets posted as "events", you would see and understand exactly why that has to be moderated. There are a lot of people who try to post irrelevant stuff as events (my dog's birthday; we are playing in my basement tonight; etc) and we are trying to keep a better representation of Cleveland nightlife than that. The other side to moderation is let the noobs post nonsense, and let the regular "hawks" scare them off and breed negativety. Once we instituted that policy, more people felt welcome here than just the clique.

The Calander is user configured but Derek likes to keep that up to date for users. I do to.

The banner is a script that I edit. Most banners are hosted on the owners websited, and I only mess with the script once a month to remove dead links/sites or add new ones. It does piss me off that people who have banner space can't keep them current. They have the ability to change the file on their own site themselves, and they know it -- and I consider it to be a representation of the event not the site if they let shit go. Once it is more than a month out of date, I usually remove them. I don't consider this to be much effort -- it takes 100 times more work to send out my weekly mailer.

Now we are back to discussing events moving from "current" to "past". I guess I see where that could be confusing, and we don't catch everything right away, but I thought it made a lot of sense. I was lead to believe that people were very happy with it when we made that change, and shortly after we saw a pretty good boom in new members and traffic. If it is confusing to others, I would really like to hear more about it. If you aren't going to offer solutions, then I need to hear more perspectives than just one to start formulating a solution.

Last edited by Tymezup on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

I<3CNL
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:15 pm
 Post Post subject:

Um... if you know what TODAY's date is...

then you shouldn't have any trouble figuring out what is CURRENT and what is a PAST event.

Everything is dated.

?

What's the problem?

?

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:19 pm
 Post Post subject:

D3R3K wrote:

then you shouldn't have any trouble figuring out what is CURRENT and what is a PAST event.

Everything is dated.

?

What's the problem?

?

Are other people having this problem that we don't know about?

I<3CNL
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:02 am
 Post Post subject:

Doug Burkhart wrote:
D3R3K wrote:

Everything is dated.

?

What's the problem?

?

Are other people having this problem that we don't know about?

Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

Posted by: geeves Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Professional Hipster
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:44 am
 Post Post subject:

An events driven forum or two with future and past events could be handled automatically.

It's actually surprisingly simple, just takes a bit of know-how to write a solid query. But again, hacking up phpBB for it, would be a nightmare. A good mod - if there is one out there, would be to have an option to sort threads based on the event date/time - not just just by the last post. An array of sorting methods could help out too.

Something that could be written and not have to even worry about hacking phpBB itself would be a CRON job (to run nightly) could easily move past Events into the Event Reviews forum.

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:53 am
 Post Post subject:

Adam Oliveri wrote:
A good mod - if there is one out there, would be to have an option to sort threads based on the event date/time - not just just by the last post. An array of sorting methods could help out too.

This, if doable, would be a great mod as it would take away people's need to 'bump' posts to the top (in other words less meaningless drivel in event threads)

Professional Hipster
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:05 am
 Post Post subject:

Jamie Tyler wrote:
This, if doable, would be a great mod as it would take away people's need to 'bump' posts to the top (in other words less meaningless drivel in event threads)

No mod would cure retardation.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:25 am
 Post Post subject:

Adam Oliveri wrote:

Something that could be written and not have to even worry about hacking phpBB itself would be a CRON job (to run nightly) could easily move past Events into the Event Reviews forum.

Hmm. Let me choose a Calandar and get it intstalled then I'll think about that. I haven't coded anything in a long while, but it sounds like a challange I could handle once the Calendar is installed.

What should the script be written in? For some reason I'm thinking php can't be run from the command prompt.

Posted by: Random(seed) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Level 3 Dungeon Master
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:37 am
 Post Post subject:

Doug Burkhart wrote:
Adam Oliveri wrote:

Hmm. Let me choose a Calandar and get it intstalled then I'll think about that. I haven't coded anything in a long while, but it sounds like a challange I could handle once the Calendar is installed.

What should the script be written in? For some reason I'm thinking php can't be run from the command prompt.

You'll have to use perl or shell or something like c++ to be schedualable (assuming *nix)

Re(Vision)
Every Weds @ Annabell's [Ak]

"Minimal house-no is the shit"

Professional Hipster
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:41 am
 Post Post subject:

depending on what your host has setup, there might be an option specifically for setting up Cron jobs. PHP should be fine.

Page 1 of 3