Calendar

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Suggestions, Support, and Bug Reports
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: Derek Carney Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:40 pm
 Post Post subject: EVENTS GUIDELINES

Doug Burkhart wrote:
This is a whole other discssion but I think there should be a stricter set of rules in the events forum.

a) If an event or weekly is cancelled and you don't let us know, and this happens more than twice in a calandar year, then you no longer are allowed to post weeklies here.

b) If you are posting weeklies that don't see a run of longer than a month, and this happens more than 4 times in a Calandar year, then you loose the right to post any weeklies.

That kind of stuff confuses people who are looking for stuff to do, and in my opinion it brings the collective Cleveland scene down. I follow a similar set of unspoken guidelines, with redemption possibilites, for my own events mailer.

Additionally, this should not be a school of proper etiquette. I can forgive it when people don't understand how to use the forum, or wait until they figure it out. Hell, I can even forgive poor taste for a year or two. When you just blantantly don't have concern for the people you are marketing to --- over and over again -- that bothers me.

Sounds good to me. Although, from my perspective, it gets frustrating to constantly have to harass people to format properly, when I came up with a very clear and precise system. All you have to do is copy and paste what is in the top thread (where you reply to post an event), and re-type in your specific info. Some people do it right on the first try and then there are others who post every week and just type whatever with no thought that I have to spend my time and go back in and fix it. That's just inconsiderate. Read the posting formatting template... it's really NOT that difficult and takes two seconds for you to do. If that is too hard, then just look at the forum posts themselves... they look a certain way, because I go in and make everything look nice and neat.

Thanks,
Derek

Last edited by Derek Carney on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted by: NRM Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mod from the Future
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:29 pm
 Post Post subject:

cool! there are some things mentioned here that i was wondering about...like someone posting absurd amounts of weeklies that seem to change every week(i wont mention any names) but i was really getting ready to ask the person just to quit with the post.

glad you brought this up

Posted by: geeves Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Professional Hipster
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:44 pm
 Post Post subject:

Just an idea that I've done on other phpBB boards -

Increase the maxlength of the subject and size in the DB (back it up first, of course!)

For somethings that might have a longer dj name / etc it might make it a bit easier.

Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:46 pm
 Post Post subject:

Adam Oliveri wrote:
Just an idea that I've done on other phpBB boards -

Increase the maxlength of the subject and size in the DB (back it up first, of course!)

For somethings that might have a longer dj name / etc it might make it a bit easier.

Thanks for the insite! I may well consider doing that! Though phpbb is on my shit list at the moment with that recent flop of an upgrade Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Professional Hipster
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:53 pm
 Post Post subject:

Doug Burkhart wrote:
Thanks for the insite! I may well consider doing that! Though phpbb is on my shit list at the moment with that recent flop of an upgrade Wink

It's on mine, too. I've upgraded manually since I've hacked mine to pieces over the last couple of years. Most other boards, vB especially, aren't much better. Some of the nightmare-ish things they do with the dB schemas is mindblowing. The session handling and form input handling is good in that it's backwards compatible, but also a nightmare to maintain.

I'm actually working on my own version of a message board and then CMS - just to do it. I hope to have a beta ready this summer - probably by September 1. It's going to run on PostgreSQL and PHP5 (though, I might switch to PERL).

If you're interested or have any ideas for features, I'm all ears. I'm working on finalizing the schema, but I hope to make it component based, so "hacks" etc won't be so difficult to install.

Edit: a buddy of mine from Denver is probably going to help out once we both have time and I get some groundwork on it - started up a Sourceforge project as well: http://sourceforge.net/projects/acidcult

I<3CNL
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:20 pm
 Post Post subject:

This might make some people insane just to know that I think about these things...
1) but I'd like to see a color code so that topic titles are different colored text for weeklies/monthlies, and one-offs.

2) I think it would also be cool, if everything would automatically go in order of upcoming date. Re: tonight's events would automatically be grouped at the top...much like when I was stickying and unstickying each day. Then tomorrow's, etc. Users could still BUMP a post up to the top of the list for each section.

and more importantly:
3) Can you figure out a way to make the board print out legal tender, preferably in hundreds, and mix cocktails as well. That would be ideal. Oh, and make it be able to send electric shocks to mean people.

Thanks.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:23 pm
 Post Post subject:

D3R3K wrote:
This might make some people insane just to know that I think about these things...
1) but I'd like to see a color code so that topic titles are different colored text for weeklies/monthlies, and one-offs.

2) I think it would also be cool, if everything would automatically go in order of upcoming date. Re: tonight's events would automatically be grouped at the top...much like when I was stickying and unstickying each day. Then tomorrow's, etc. Users could still BUMP a post up to the top of the list for each section.

The color coding thing would be damn near impossible since that is a function of the skin and not anything else - though for someone who knew how to code it probably wouldn't be that hard.

As for the date thing... I think that may be a problem as well. You could go searching for a mod, or posting requests at http://www.pphpbb.com and if you find something i'll consider installing it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:23 pm
 Post Post subject:

D3R3K wrote:

The color coding thing would be damn near impossible since that is a function of the skin and not anything else - though for someone who knew how to code it probably wouldn't be that hard.

As for the date thing... I think that may be a problem as well. You could go searching for a mod, or posting requests at http://www.pphpbb.com and if you find something i'll consider installing it.

Both VERY good ideas though!

Posted by: Alexandru Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trancecracker
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:34 pm
 Post Post subject:

I'm pretty sure phpBB allows the option of choosing and displaying an icon in a column to the left of the thread title. Wouldn't you be able to use this to allow W for Weekly, 1 for one-off, etc...?

Edit: Yes, I just checked. Right now that column is used to display if there are new posts or not in that thread. I'm sure you can mess around with that and have an end result much more helpful in indicating the type of event.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: Alexandru Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trancecracker
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:38 pm
 Post Post subject:

Why have the splash screen interruption after posting, "Click here to view your post/click here to return to the forum."

Is it to pace posters so they don't strain the hardware? I find it extremely inconveniencing and none of the very successful forums on the web utilize this.

I'd just have it go directly to the new post in the thread. There are plenty of links around the page to be able to easily return to the forum index.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Professional Hipster
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:37 pm
 Post Post subject:

phpBB doesn't have color coding.

I hacked up soulglo.com to have different icons available for weeklies or one offs in and out of the Pgh region. (see our events section).

It's possible, but it's not an "in house" feature of phpBBnor an approved hack on phpbb.com or phpbbhacks.com. I know enough of what I'm doing myself with out getting it tested by those that own the board. I'm not trying to be arrogant, but you know what I mean. I've written the whole application that runs soulglo by hand and it works pretty smoothly. Things that are buggy, I avoid, only because I don't have the time to fix them when I find them due to my actual job. But they're documented, ya know?

vBulletin, I think it is a base feature. I could "hack" this for you, doug or show you the code I did for it (I based it off of somethingawful.com's topics in their forums - the idea & icons, not necessarily the code, but works just as well)

Professional Hipster
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:40 pm
 Post Post subject:

dittoalex wrote:
Why have the splash screen interruption after posting, "Click here to view your post/click here to return to the forum."

Is it to pace posters so they don't strain the hardware? I find it extremely inconveniencing and none of the very successful forums on the web utilize this.

I'd just have it go directly to the new post in the thread. There are plenty of links around the page to be able to easily return to the forum index.

Yes, in a way. It can help and prevent bots flooding forums as well as adds a pause for users who are post happy. Inconvenient, maybe, the refresh rate can be changed to be shorter or none at all, but also, some people (like me) like to post then goto the forum into a new topic, I don't have to review what I just wrote all the time.

That's what the preview button is for. If you goto the forum and see someone else has the last post, just click it again. It's not that huge of a step or design-flow that impedes the functionality of the board and again, it adds pause and a moment of reflection before moving on.

Professional Hipster
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:44 pm
 Post Post subject:

D3R3K wrote:

That's one feature I'd like in the calendar mod. Instead of just changing the order of the threads, it could add the option to either view threads by last post or by order of event. It's not that difficult to implement and I've considered it myself on my board, but I don't have as many posts to deal with as here, so it just hasn't been worth my time, yet.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:06 pm
 Post Post subject:

Adam Oliveri wrote:
I could "hack" this for you, doug or show you the code I did for it (I based it off of somethingawful.com's topics in their forums - the idea & icons, not necessarily the code, but works just as well)

The icon idea is great. No rush, but down the road i might be interested when you have time. Thanks adam.

I<3CNL
Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:56 am
 Post Post subject:

So more importantly...

what about the money, cocktails, and electric zapper??

Professional Hipster
Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:51 am
 Post Post subject:

D3R3K wrote:
So more importantly...

My mod for punching people through the face on the internet is still in the theorem stage. The math is there, but it's just not coming together

I<3CNL
Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:56 am
 Post Post subject:

Adam Oliveri wrote:
D3R3K wrote:
So more importantly...

My mod for punching people through the face on the internet is still in the theorem stage. The math is there, but it's just not coming together

I don't know... I remember people talking about the future of cybersex where you can move a joystick at your computer and it "performs" and interacts with another person at another computer whether they're down the hall or across the globe. Why couldn't they come up with a zapper? It's all electricity and wires and messages. It doesn't have to be a very powerful shock...just enough to make them think twice about acting in a foul manner, misspelling, or declaring their love of epic trance.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:34 pm
 Post Post subject:

Page 1 of 1