Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : DJs, Producers, Promoters, Music Discussion Forum
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: curved.space.labs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:32 pm
 Post Post subject: New Bauhaus

Go Away White

I'm not sure what to say about this...I was kinda conflicted about them doing something after 25 years, but it's turning out to be pretty damn kick ass.

I suspect if you're not already a long time fan, it may seem like an album that's not really going anywhere, and if that's the case, I don't know what to say. I'm too selfish to think about anything other than my own aural satisfaction. Wink j/k. I'm saying it probably makes perfect sense to fans, and won't make any sense at all to the youngins/first time listeners out there. In the end, I'm glad they did it. There are times when it seems like it's Peter Murphy leaned on it musically, but enough of the album captures their vibe to make up for it.

It's growing on me with each listen. Lots of hints of their earlier work...some parts just ring out "1982" big time. It's definitely not as raw, but then that's to be expected, given their age. Even so, they recorded a lot of it in 1 take, and most of it was recorded live. That's fucking serious badassery, and something that as a musician I have the ultimate respect for. Amazing. Mirror Remains is the highlight. So oldschool sounding - it very well could have been off an earlier album.

Only downer is apparantly something happened, and there will be no more tours. Glad I got to see 'em for the filming of Gotham @ the Hammerstein in 1998. One of the best shows of my life. Not very common you grow up llistening to band who had already broken up by the time you heard of them, with no chance to resolve their problems, only to see them re-unite 13 years later and drop the hammer better than all the shitty bands out there now trying to do what they already did so long ago....

To that note, this album kicks much ass compared to a lot of what their peers did....keep recording and touring, while continually degrading and turning shittier and shittier to the point of embarrassment (read: The Cure)

In short, if you were curious, pick it up. Worth it.

Posted by: Metz Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:27 pm
 Post Post subject:

Oh the memories... Bella Lugosi's Dead

Posted by: curved.space.labs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:58 pm
 Post Post subject:

Cool

Page 1 of 1