Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Suggestions, Support, and Bug Reports
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: vitruvius Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Grillmaster
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:53 pm
 Post Post subject: CNL Podcast?

A lot of people post links to mixes and tracks and so on. How cool would it be to have this all aggregated into a podcast?

The backend is easy. Just wrapping the necessary information into an RSS feed (and CNL wouldn't need to host the actual mp3 files or anything). I'll even volunteer to do it.

The question is, how to set up the frontend?

What do you all think?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: Derek Carney Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:48 pm
 Post Post subject:

Brilliant, Jim. Fucking marvelous.

Grillmaster
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:51 pm
 Post Post subject:

OK, I've had a chance to flesh out a possible plan for technical implementation.

First, a few assumptions:
-The server runs PHP (given, actually)
-The server runs MySQL (or some equivalent SQL-driven rdb service)
-The site admin (Doug?) has access to the SQL implementation to set up new databases and table

Basic methodology:
The sticky thread in the events sections seem to work fairly well for getting event postings listed, a similar method could be used for podcastable items in the producers section. The mods of this forum would have access to a custom front-end for adding items to the podcast feed.

Technical implementation:
(1) A db table to store pertinent information for each podcast item.
(2) A PHP script to generate the podcast RSS file.
(3) A PHP script for the moderator front-end to add new items/manage old ones.

As I said, all that's needed for the podcast RSS file is a link to the enclosed podcast item, so CNL wouldn't have to host the audio files, they can be accessed from remote hosting (e.g. any of a number of the sites from which people currently post links to mixes/tracks).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:51 am
 Post Post subject:

vitruvius wrote:
OK, I've had a chance to flesh out a possible plan for technical implementation.

First, a few assumptions:
-The server runs PHP (given, actually)
-The server runs MySQL (or some equivalent SQL-driven rdb service)
-The site admin (Doug?) has access to the SQL implementation to set up new databases and table

Basic methodology:
The sticky thread in the events sections seem to work fairly well for getting event postings listed, a similar method could be used for podcastable items in the producers section. The mods of this forum would have access to a custom front-end for adding items to the podcast feed.

Technical implementation:
(1) A db table to store pertinent information for each podcast item.
(2) A PHP script to generate the podcast RSS file.
(3) A PHP script for the moderator front-end to add new items/manage old ones.

As I said, all that's needed for the podcast RSS file is a link to the enclosed podcast item, so CNL wouldn't have to host the audio files, they can be accessed from remote hosting (e.g. any of a number of the sites from which people currently post links to mixes/tracks).

Yes, phpbb uses both mysql and php. There are several requests for podcast mods on the phpbb forum, but no results that I have found. I've never used a podcast. I'm guessing all the end user needs is a link to the rss feed, correct? The only thing we would need that would be visible is the admin control panel. I'm not familiar enough with coding to write a mod that is fully integrated with the forum, but I would assume that there are existing scripts that can be implemented seperate from the forum (with a seperate user database) but hosted on the site. If you know of any, let me know and I'll take a look and upload them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Grillmaster
Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:44 am
 Post Post subject:

Doug Burkhart wrote:
Yes, phpbb uses both mysql and php. There are several requests for podcast mods on the phpbb forum, but no results that I have found. I've never used a podcast. I'm guessing all the end user needs is a link to the rss feed, correct? The only thing we would need that would be visible is the admin control panel. I'm not familiar enough with coding to write a mod that is fully integrated with the forum, but I would assume that there are existing scripts that can be implemented seperate from the forum (with a seperate user database) but hosted on the site. If you know of any, let me know and I'll take a look and upload them.

As to the end user, that is correct. I know for a fact that iTunes has built-in handling of podcasts -- once you give iTunes the link to the feed it will automatically download new items and handle maintenance of those files. I would imagine other audio players have similar functionality given how popular it's becoming.

I don't know if there are independent template implementations, though I'd bet good money that there are. I can probably find something and tweak it, or I'm also familiar enough with PHP that I can probably code something up on my own -- either way would be independent of phpbb, but I doubt that'd be a huge issue. I'll poke around with it over the next week or so and get back to you on it.

Page 1 of 1