Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Post new topic   Reply to topic Tone of this forum (READ BELOW BEFORE YOU VOTE).
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Forbidden City (General Discussion)
View previous topic : View next topic

What tone do you want this forum to have?
All plurry all the time. No offensive discussion ever. Even if you don't like the color of my shirt, the post will be deleted by the moderators.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The thread in question was a bit touchy, but the offensive posts should have been removed immediately.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The thread in question should only have been removed if it got out of control OR if one of the parties messaged a moderator requesting its removal. We are quite cabable of regulating ourselves.
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Free-For-All. Fuck this, Fuck That, He sucks, She sucks etc.
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
This is pointless. Lets start a private area and if anyone has a problem with it we'll just vote em off the island.
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Moderators who are not Djs, Club Owners, Promoters, or friends of them.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

Posted by: webmaster Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 West Sixth Stumbler
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:06 am
 Post Post subject: Tone of this forum (READ BELOW BEFORE YOU VOTE).

One of my goals in starting this forum was "Frank and Honest Discussion" along with "Hatred will not be tolerated". The later of the two statements was in reference to cleveland.com and the ability to easily create disposable names, and lack of local moderation. With this forum such attacks are easily stopped. All emails ARE verified by the system. All ip's are logged. Multiple screen names are easily tracked.

I believe in the spirit of free speech in places such as ravetrash and pb-cle where bad attitudes are easily regulated by the members of the list/forum. People should be allowed to state freely the opinions that are on their minds. In reality we are not far away from a "police state" in our government and our basic rights are being stripped from us daily. Why should this forum be heavily censored too?

I also believe that all problems can be worked out and that keeping our opinions silent does more harm than good. If you can't agree to disagree, then you really have no place as a dj, club owner, or promoter. Our scene is made up of many different people unique understandings of any given situation. Respect and knowlege of our disagreements helps us to know our points of agreement.... and that gives a chance to grow.

I also know that in a nice plurry society where everyone only says nice happy things and makes nice unoffensive comments, there is going to be a LOT of backbiting going on and cliques will form and the community gets divided far more than a few arguements on message boards.

The line between hating and free speech is a fine one. So if you want to catch up on the thread that started this line of debate, read up on it at:
http://www.clevelandnightlife.net/viewtopic.php?t=390

I went back and forth about deleting it with several people including moderators, and people outside of the situation. While what Neo Rude made said may not be very warm and fuzzy, it is still his own statement and it reflects on him directly. This is __VERY__ different from Cleveland.com in that it is not an anonymous post, and I know for a fact the author would not have a problem making his opnions clear IRL. I think neuspeed came along and requlated in proper fashion, like members do on bluelight.nu in the midwest section. I was also confident that Deviant would answer in his own patented manner Smile and that this would not get out of control.

I feel like if I had moderated this thread, I would have had to remove any other sensitive subjects. The Mark Farina "photochop" would had to go. The discussion on the soundsystems would have had to be scrapped. Hell, all those photchops should have gone because people might have gotten hurt by them.

So, with all of that knowlege I leave you with a poll:

Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:19 am
 Post Post subject:

Here is an idea:

I don't know if it is possible yet, or not... but we could have a private area that EVERYONE gets access to once their post count reaches a certain level. The post count qualification would show that a member is capable of more than just taking pot shots. We could call the area "The Island" and then if there is ever a problem we could chose to vote people off of it by 2/3 consensus or something like that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: Archived Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:20 am
 Post Post subject:

i like it.

Posted by: Forte Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Grippa Trill
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:36 am
 Post Post subject: Re: Tone of this forum (READ BELOW BEFORE YOU VOTE).

webmaster wrote:

The line between hating and free speech is a fine one. So if you want to catch up on the thread that started this line of debate, read up on it at:
http://www.clevelandnightlife.net/viewtopic.php?t=390

I went back and forth about deleting it with several people including moderators, and people outside of the situation. While what Neo Rude made said may not be very warm and fuzzy, it is still his own statement and it reflects on him directly. This is __VERY__ different from Cleveland.com in that it is not an anonymous post, and I know for a fact the author would not have a problem making his opnions clear IRL. I think neuspeed came along and requlated in proper fashion, like members do on bluelight.nu in the midwest section. I was also confident that Deviant would answer in his own patented manner Smile and that this would not get out of control.

Personally I ddin't like Deviant's initial comment that triggered this whole chemical reaction. Basically stating that both me and a perfomer that I have respect for on several different levels dresses "like a clown" was very Coxxxian, and did not exatly make me feel a warm and fuzzy either, but though I somewhat bit my tounge, NRM said what I would have said as well if I had 5 extra minutes to create a bunk screename. Play it like you will, I believe that though NRM was out of line in attitude, I do believe he did NOT neccessarilly use obscenity that would "make me cover my eyes", I do feel it was no worse than the initial comment.

Though I voted above for minimum regulation, I think you need to draw a line as to what is out of control, what is threatening, what is tollerable slander, and what is just plain funny. If I'm going to click on a thread only to see a picture of a naked 600 lb lady or midgets fucking horses (sorry lil guy's Twisted Evil ), then I believe that something has achieved the level of being sttrictyl for a non regulated site like Ravetrash. Order is, after all, neccessary for human civilization to succeed, so since we're all on a mature nightlife board, acting civilized takes a bit of cooperation from ALL parties registered.

That poll that was up for a minute last night was pretty funny though. I voted for it being "slang for clown monkey".

forte@koala-tea.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Grippa Trill
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:41 am
 Post Post subject:

I just noticed that curse words are blocked? I thought this was a free speech board?

forte@koala-tea.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:46 am

alex FORTE wrote:
Personally I ddin't like Deviant's initial comment that triggered this whole chemical reaction. Basically stating that both me and a perfomer that I have respect for on several different levels dresses "like a clown" was very Coxxxian, and did not exatly make me feel a warm and fuzzy either, but when though I somewhat bit my tounge, NRM said what I have said as well if I had 5 extra minutes to create a bunk screename. Play it like you will, I believe that though NRM was out of line in attitude, though he did NOT neccessary use obscenity that would "make me cover my eyes", I do feel it was no worse than the initial comment.

Though I voted above for minimum regulation, I think you need to draw a line as to what is out of control, what is threatening, what is tollerable slander, and what is just plain funny. If I'm going to click on a thread only to see a picture of a naked 600 lb lady or midgets ******* horses (sorry lil guy's Twisted Evil ), then I believe that something has achieved the level of being sttrictyl for a non regulated site like Ravetrash. Order is, after all, neccessary for human civilization to succeed, so since we're all on a mature nightlife board, acting civilized takes a bit of cooperation from ALL parties registered.

NRM wasn't a bunk screen name, so let's be clear on that. While he didn't sign his name... if you read fliers it isn't hard to figure out. Looking through the post, originally, and knowing Deviant's sense of humor it wasn't hard to figure out he was joking around. Not everyone uses "clown" as a derogatory term. So your saying his initial post should have been deleted as well? Plain and simple... Deviant said something he thought was funny. The promoter didn't think it was funny, and took it a step further. As long as it doesn't get overly vicious then it is done and over. Sensitivity is all good and fine but screw all this PC bullcrap (Like I have said for three years now... watch the comedy movie PCU to see how some of us act). Say what's on your mind. If you are legit it holds weight... if you are not then it doesn't. If its a fake name, of course it should be deleted...but overall deleted posts are what cause problems... because no one gets a chance to defend themselves.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 am
 Post Post subject:

alex FORTE wrote:
I just noticed that curse words are blocked? I thought this was a free speech board?

w/e

Grippa Trill
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:53 am
 Post Post subject:

I reallized the minute it was up who NRM was, I was just implying I'd have created a sn so as to not appear completely like a jerk off (not to say NRM is though), but I save my anger and frustrastion for less pertinent discussion, or at least untill all my buttons have been pushed. I guess you can say mouth is zipped untill it's full.

I did not think his comment was funny.

I did not think you should have deleted either comments.

If you were going to delete NRM's, then just say f*ck it and delete the whole thread.

forte@koala-tea.com

Posted by: Tiesto Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:01 am
 Post Post subject:

I dunno about all this deletion and closing of threads/conversations. Being one generally against censorship, I'd rather see threads work themselves out. We're all adults here and capable of PLUR.

The internet is an imperfect means of communication... emoticons only go so far to show the intent of words. I think it's better to keep conversations open, so that disputes can be had and resolved as they occur. As long as people can't hide behind a fake name and are accountable for their words, I see no problem.

Grippa Trill
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:05 am
 Post Post subject:

1200 wrote:
I dunno about all this deletion and closing of threads/conversations. Being one generally against censorship, I'd rather see threads work themselves out. We're all adults here and capable of PLUR.

The internet is an imperfect means of communication... emoticons only go so far to show the intent of words. I think it's better to keep conversations open, so that disputes can be had and resolved as they occur. As long as people can't hide behind a fake name and are accountable for their words, I see no problem.

If that's the case, I'm in agreement, but thena again I'm just a "weekly nightlifer" and not a mod.

What's plur?

forte@koala-tea.com

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:05 am
 Post Post subject:

My only comment to add to this is that there are far more effective ways of telling someone to fvck off than simply saying fvck off. If you're going to tell someone to fvck off at least do it in a manner that will amuse the rest of us.

or if you are going to use fvck at least do it excessively. nobody fvcking wants to fvcking read the fvcking word fvck just one fvcking time, do the fvcking fvcks?

OK, I'm done now. fvck it.

PCU is an awesome movie, BTW. everyone in our generation should see it, preferrably while either drunk or stoned, or both. well funk you very much too.

OK back to work now

Grippa Trill
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:06 am
 Post Post subject:

neuspeed wrote:
fvcking wants to fvcking read the fvcking word fvck just one fvcking time, do the fvcking fvcks?

I dont give a SHlT!! Razz

forte@koala-tea.com

Afterhours Champion
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:08 am
 Post Post subject:

neuspeed wrote:
My only comment to add to this is that there are far more effective ways of telling someone to fvck off than simply saying fvck off. If you're going to tell someone to fvck off at least do it in a manner that will amuse the rest of us.

or if you are going to use fvck at least do it excessively. nobody fvcking wants to fvcking read the fvcking word fvck just one fvcking time, do the fvcking fvcks?

OK, I'm done now. fvck it.

PCU is an awesome movie, BTW. everyone in our generation should see it, preferrably while either drunk or stoned, or both. well funk you very much too.

OK back to work now

fvuk you, dude. :wink:

Posted by: Deviant Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:44 am

alex FORTE wrote:

Personally I ddin't like Deviant's initial comment that triggered this whole chemical reaction. Basically stating that both me and a perfomer that I have respect for on several different levels dresses "like a clown" was very Coxxxian, and did not exatly make me feel a warm and fuzzy either,

I made no reference to you, Alex. I was referring to John's fun hair and face paint...you know, like a clown. Ever been to a circus? What made you think I was referring to you?

--D

Grippa Trill
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:45 am
 Post Post subject:

Thats fine, but I was dressed just like him. Surprised I took it on the chin. Like I said, I don't think your post should had been deleted (which it wasn't), but nor should have any repliyes.

forte@koala-tea.com

VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:47 am
 Post Post subject:

Oh yeah, and if I ever wore makeup to a gig and it wasn't Halloween, I would fully expect to get dissed by tons of locals. My personal opinion is that it draws attention away from the music and to the DJ, and that's not how it should be. It's like DJ Rap doing a Twix commercial.

--D

VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:50 am
 Post Post subject:

alex FORTE wrote:
Thats fine, but I was dressed just like him. Surprised I took it on the chin. Like I said, I don't think your post should had been deleted (which it wasn't), but nor should have any repliyes.

Were you in any of the photos? Sorry, mate, I really wasn't coming after you. I certainly have no issues with clubbers dressing like whatever. I just have issues with DJs who dress for the sole purpose of drawing attention to themselves as a "personality." I don't know what John's motivations are...I am sure he is mad cool, and it was all in jest.

But yes, in the past, I actually did consider wearing funny outfits when I was just starting out. YEARS AGO...

--D

Afterhours Champion
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:57 am
 Post Post subject:

Deviant wrote:
I certainly have no issues with clubbers dressing like whatever. I just have issues with DJs who dress for the sole purpose of drawing attention to themselves as a "personality."

So then how do you explain your Superstar Keoki Limited Edition Sparkle-Sport Slipmats? Huh, mister?

VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:04 am
 Post Post subject:

1200 wrote:
Deviant wrote:
I certainly have no issues with clubbers dressing like whatever. I just have issues with DJs who dress for the sole purpose of drawing attention to themselves as a "personality."

So then how do you explain your Superstar Keoki Limited Edition Sparkle-Sport Slipmats? Huh, mister?

Errr...uhhh...look, I was young and experimental...I was into a lot of hallucinogenics...but then I found God!

Grippa Trill
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:06 am
 Post Post subject:

Deviant wrote:
Were you in any of the photos?

That was me posing with him in the picture posted by Trat.:smt109:

Deviant wrote:

I just have issues with DJs who dress for the sole purpose of drawing attention to themselves as a "personality."

I don't think his hair or style has any inkling to do with why he is so popular. His style is distinct and it's impossible to say he hasn't broken multiple barriers within EDM. When he tours he is loads of fun and acts like every gig is his last. Among other things, he keeps a diary with pics and reviews from all the places hes visited. And my final question to him that (i think) got recorded fully went as follows:

Q- Do you have any advice for up and coming Djs or producers who want to make waves?

A- MAKE waves, do something different. Don't follow stuff that's out there.

I guess you can say he's lived up to his words. And for all the acclaim he's had and for the amount of tunes that he's put out and at the calibre at which they've been done, he still is a VERY moderately priced dj. Those are far and few between.

forte@koala-tea.com

Page 1 of 2