Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Forbidden City (General Discussion)
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:31 am
 Post Post subject: Murphy's Law

So I have to drive to Columbus tonight to leave for Hawaii in the morning.

Driving to work, my jimmy starts spewing anti-freeze after dumping a small fortune into the cooling system last week.

My mechanic is down the street and can fit me in, but this seems to be the one day that FEDEX and UPS don't show up at my doorstop at 12:05.

I'd leave the checks with the Barber, but he is closed on Wednesdays.

When Fedex and UPS show up I still have to walk 2 block in the rain Sad

Watch.... I'll have to drive out to Fedex to pick up my package anyhow.

BOO!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: The Maven Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:51 am
 Post Post subject:

Life only gets complicated to see if your serious about it.

So what ever you want out of life, know that it can only fully be achieved through commitment and, perserverance

Most importantly, smile through it all because, you never want to let them see you sweat

Posted by: graph Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 hublugggggghhhh
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:57 am
 Post Post subject: Re: Murphy's Law

Doug Burkhart wrote:
Driving to work, my jimmy starts spewing

i was like whooaaaaaaaa doug, hey now....

...until i kept reading. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:01 pm
 Post Post subject:

Uh, yeah, jim.

Crisis averted. Boxes are here, jimmy is in the shop.

Now... let's hope in addition to the water pump, thermostat, and hoses I replaced last week... i'm not gonna have to get a new radiator!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:05 pm
 Post Post subject:

Hopefully it's just a hose connection that wasn't tightened properly...did you see where it was spewing from?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:10 pm
 Post Post subject:

Jamie Tyler wrote:
Hopefully it's just a hose connection that wasn't tightened properly...did you see where it was spewing from?

I didn't open it while it was running.

10 to one odds it is the radiator, and that my mechanics just cleaned the system, replaced the pump and stat, because it was a radiator leak.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:11 pm
 Post Post subject:

AND

10 to 1 odds that if it is a radiotor leak, it was kids next door who punctured a hole since rob parks beside me and his radiator is leaking.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:28 pm
 Post Post subject:

Doug Burkhart wrote:
I didn't open it while it was running.

10 to one odds it is the radiator, and that my mechanics just cleaned the system, replaced the pump and stat, because it was a radiator leak.

1. you should have openend it (the hood, obviously) so you could see if it was obviously coming from somewhere.

2. your mechanic just flushed the system and replaced the water pump and thermostat becasuse of a radiator leak I confused. do you mean you think it's a rad leak because your mechanic just did all that? There is the possibility that flushing the system (and dislodging the crap in it) and replacing the water pump (possibly increasing the system pressure slightly) would exacerbate an existing leak, or start a small new one...but not a spewing coolant kind of leak.

3. If it is vandalism beat-downs are in order.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:35 pm
 Post Post subject:

Jamie Tyler wrote:

1. you should have openend it (the hood, obviously) so you could see if it was obviously coming from somewhere.

2. your mechanic just flushed the system and replaced the water pump and thermostat becasuse of a radiator leak I confused. do you mean you think it's a rad leak because your mechanic just did all that? There is the possibility that flushing the system (and dislodging the crap in it) and replacing the water pump (possibly increasing the system pressure slightly) would exacerbate an existing leak, or start a small new one...but not a spewing coolant kind of leak.

I opened the hood, but not while it was running. I didn't want to deal with much else.

I had a gurgling noise, which is typical in these things, a while ago. He replaced the _____ coolant (red) with normal green antifreeze (which required 3 acid baths to clear out the red/orange stuff). This was 2 years ago.

The gurgling noise was back. I checked coolant level and it was low, and it looked nasty inside. I took it to him, he said the drain on the water pump was dripping fluid which indicates the bearing was going out. So he replaced, pump, hoses, thermostat. I know my mechanic to be pretty reputable, he has never really tried to dick me over when I have given him the chance.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:49 pm
 Post Post subject:

OK, what he replaced makes sense (other than switching dexcool - the pink stuff - for regular green stuff if that's what he did). hopfully he just didn't tighten something correctly Confused

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:53 pm
 Post Post subject:

Jamie Tyler wrote:
OK, what he replaced makes sense (other than switching dexcool - the pink stuff - for regular green stuff if that's what he did). hopfully he just didn't tighten something correctly Confused

Yeah... dexcool for green stuff. I think he said it was a common problem, and GM's recommended remedy was to do the replacement.

Posted by: graph Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 hublugggggghhhh
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:56 pm
 Post Post subject:

i inherited a 1987 full size GMC Jimmy for my last two years in high school. man i miss that thing...it was a fucking tank.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:58 pm
 Post Post subject:

The dexcool's supposed to last longer (up to 100k miles) but costs a lot more as well. The gurgling, I'm guessing, was just the noise of coolant being low to the point where the top of the coolant level was somewhere in the radiator...my '63 chrysler used to make gurgling noises, especially right after you turned it off, and it didn't have an overflow tank so the coolant level was always somewhere near the top of the radiator.

You could also have a hose that's ruptured as well...that won't be as much as a new radiator would.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:06 pm
 Post Post subject:

Jamie Tyler wrote:
The dexcool's supposed to last longer (up to 100k miles) but costs a lot more as well. The gurgling, I'm guessing, was just the noise of coolant being low to the point where the top of the coolant level was somewhere in the radiator...my '63 chrysler used to make gurgling noises, especially right after you turned it off, and it didn't have an overflow tank so the coolant level was always somewhere near the top of the radiator.

You could also have a hose that's ruptured as well...that won't be as much as a new radiator would.

He put all new hoses on when he changed the pump. The gurggling was coming underneath the track not up front, like under the 4wd. It was definately the coolant system.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:15 pm
 Post Post subject:

then there's air somewhere in the system that there shouldn't be...generally on modern cars there are valves to bleed the air out of the cooling system in areas where it tends to get trapped...wonder if someone forgot to do this when they flushed the coolant...was the car running really hot?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:20 pm
 Post Post subject:

Jamie Tyler wrote:
then there's air somewhere in the system that there shouldn't be...generally on modern cars there are valves to bleed the air out of the cooling system in areas where it tends to get trapped...wonder if someone forgot to do this when they flushed the coolant...was the car running really hot?

No, not really.

The first time they flushed the system (2 years ago) was to remedy the gurgeling. It might have been to flush the system then.

The second time the gurggling appeared (a month ago) they replaced all the parts.

This time it is just a leak Wink

The first time, maybe, they had to flush it and wanted to get the dexcool out or something.

I'll let you know what's up when I get a call Wink

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:27 pm
 Post Post subject:

OK.

So they are out test driving it at the moment.

He thinks, that of all the freak things, that the radiator cap went bad (the spring let loose etc).

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:28 pm
 Post Post subject:

...and that's why I'm an engineer and not a mechanic Smile

Posted by: Tiesto Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:30 pm
 Post Post subject:

Have a good trip to Hawaii... it's well deserved!

Oh, and no sneaking on the internet... I'm sure the DRAMA will be here when you get back. :wink:

Last edited by Tiesto on Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:14 pm
 Post Post subject:

Damon Havill wrote:
Have a good trip to Hawaii... it's well deserved!

Most Definately! Have a great time Doug!

Page 1 of 3