Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : DJs, Producers, Promoters, Music Discussion Forum
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: The Scythian Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Cockmongler
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:47 am
 Post Post subject: Studios

Anyone know of any studios in cleveland where one could actually purchase studio time to record an electronic album on professional gear? I think I'm confident enough now to walk in and have a good idea of how to go about things. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: ramzi Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:28 am
 Post Post subject:

You could check the phone book for recording studios or check the back pages of Scene or the FreeTimes.

From your posts on PB-Cleve you said you use Reason plus some sort of digital mixer. I don't see much point in moving to a production studio to use their copy. Maybe they'd have more plug-ins? Using a production studio's outboard gear gets more complicated as you'll need your material multitracked (one instrument on one channel recorded with little to no effects).

If you want to bump up your stereo mix downs you might be looking for a mastering studio. Check the liner notes for CDs or records where you appreciate the sound. Or ask someone who runs a record label where they get their tracks mastered...

I don't think many studios have much by way of electronic music instruments available for sessions. If you are near Florida try visiting the Audio Playground Synthesizer Museum. On another forum, Joeseph Rivers seems agreeable and might let someone bring a portable recorder for some sort of fee...

Another idea is to co-op different people's recording studios into one location. This is sort of how Detroit's Submerge facility works (dunno if this is still true and don't know if it was even called Submerge then). One building with numerous studios/offices/practice spaces. A friend who had space there in early 90s said people were good about sharing equipment/expertise. Near Cleveland's St. Clair and East 60th there are several buildings divided into offices that are occupied by bands. I've seen those cats share equipment and practice space. Watch out for the breakups or the late-night-move-out-of-towns!

If all this is too much one could just buy more plugins (yes, buy not borrow). The premium pack of Waves would probably cost less than a studio + mastering session. But with the studio comes the expertise of the engineer who knows what they are doing...

Ramzi

Posted by: EricEvasionCumulus Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:45 pm
 Post Post subject:

Just some advice... Anywhere you go be very prepared... For exaple if you were in a band, and you weren't prepared... You'll basically get charged for tuning your guitar and practicing you tunes... Just be VERY prepard... I've heard of this place called Scorpio Studio's... Check it out

Page 1 of 1