Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Post new topic   Reply to topic International Artists Face Difficult Procedures to play out

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : DJs, Producers, Promoters, Music Discussion Forum
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: bushwik Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:01 pm
 Post Post subject: International Artists Face Difficult Procedures to play out

Border Line Insanity
International artists beset by visa woes

So much for "Hello, Cleveland!" Passport in hand, with flyers promoting his tour already circulating around the US, Canadian artist Montag was on his way through the border from Vancouver, BC last month when his plans came crashing down — without a performance visa for the US, Customs would not admit him. An attempt to pass through a few days later, bearing a note from Seattle radio station KEXP confirming a promotional appearance, was also rebuffed. One more failed attempt to cross, Montag was told, and he'd be banned from the United States for five years.

Montag joins a distinguished list of artists, including Ellen Allien and Paul St. Hilaire (aka Tikiman), who have been turned away at the border in recent years. And Laurent Garnier, one of the world's most prominent DJs, actually chose to cancel a tour rather than subject himself to an in-depth probe that he alleges included the review of private financial statements, mobile phone records, and other personal information.

Clearly, musicians seeking to play in the US now face a number of hurdles, both bureaucratic and financial; the specters of terrorism and economic concerns have led to border restrictions with far-reaching implications for the international cultural community. Gone are the days of impromptu tours, when a plane ticket, a box of records, and a network of couches for crashing on were all a DJ needed. Today, artists must apply in writing, up to six months in advance, for a visa costing around $200; premium processing, immigration attorney fees, and third-party expediting services can add $1,000 or more to the bill.

According to the US Embassy in London, musicians attempting to perform in the US must apply for an "O" Visa (for "persons with extraordinary ability") or a P Visa, normally issued for specific events. Applicants are advised that an in-person interview is necessary, and that they "can expect to wait a minimum of 14 to 16 weeks before being advised of the outcome of their application."

"The timeframe involved with obtaining a visa is often problematic for performers," says Bill Bragin of New York's Public Theatre, a venue known for hosting a wide range of international performers. "By the time marketing materials for an appearance go out, it's impossible to get ahead of the curve."

The hurdles don't end there, either. Some artists are required to bring instruments to their interview, essentially turning it into an audition; and some US promoters have recently complained that touring musicians now not only need to supply press clippings, but that these must be original copies of articles appearing in print publications — Internet coverage, the medium of choice of many underground networks, fails to meet official standards.

Fortunately, the Association of Performing Arts Presenters, a group dedicated to performance art advocacy, is attempting to lessen these barriers to cultural exchange. Realizing that many delays stem from improperly filed applications, the group has also created a website, artistsfromabroad.org, which offers clear, easy-to-understand information about the visa process, enabling musicians to turn in perfect, easily processed applications.

"We've also been working with Citizenship Immigration Services to reduce processing times," explains Patrick Madden, the association's Vice President for External Affairs. "We're aiming to get the time down to 45 days, but with consulates backlogged with the necessary interview requests, there are huge delays resulting." Performing Arts Presenters did have a recent victory, after four years of lobbying, that will allow musicians to apply for visas up to a year in advance — but, as Madden indicates, this is only a minor win. "This is good for symphonies and operas that do long-term planning, but the reality is that it's not helpful for festivals and artists working on shorter timeframes and lead times."

With the Bush Administration's interest in improving America's image around the globe, many arts presenters believe that these barriers to cultural exchange could have disastrous consequences. Bragin likens the restrictions to a trade barrier that could incite retaliation in foreign countries' visa policies towards Americans, as well as limiting Americans' access to artists from abroad. Patrick Madden agrees. "We're hearing that artists are seeing the visa process as a barrier to playing in America, and that the restrictions are inhibiting their desire to come here. That's a scary thought." (CJN)

Posted by: >infraction< Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Professional Hipster
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:07 pm
 Post Post subject:

so wait, my drunken friends can cross the border to go gambling for a few hours and someone with a real reason to enter the States can't.

important safety tip

my earth, my heaven, my heart, my pain

Posted by: pepper spray Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Grammar Nazi
Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:56 pm
 Post Post subject:

If I remember correctly, I believe your friends will need a passport to get back in here come 2007 or so.

We seem to have found some bizarre combo of isolationism and imperialism.

Posted by: ErockUSA Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:42 pm
 Post Post subject: Sad But True

I read when Mr. Garnier cancelled his tour on his website. It is indeed unfortunate for the USA. I can only imagine what will happen when even the dance world's titans like Oakey, Ferry, Tiesto, etc. are eventually turned away.

The critics were correct. We are fast becoming a new North Korea. All we need now is a "W" Bridage.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Page 1 of 1