Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Post new topic   Reply to topic Apple to Use Intel Microprocessors Beginning in 2006

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Forbidden City (General Discussion)
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: Archived Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:18 pm
 Post Post subject: Apple to Use Intel Microprocessors Beginning in 2006

I'm sure this is old news to many of you, but I find it very humorous.. it's official!

Quote:
WWDC 2005, SAN FRANCISCO—June 6, 2005—At its Worldwide Developer Conference today, Apple® announced plans to deliver models of its Macintosh® computers using Intel® microprocessors by this time next year, and to transition all of its Macs to using Intel microprocessors by the end of 2007. Apple previewed a version of its critically acclaimed operating system, Mac OS® X Tiger, running on an Intel-based Mac® to the over 3,800 developers attending CEO Steve Jobs’ keynote address. Apple also announced the availability of a Developer Transition Kit, consisting of an Intel-based Mac development system along with preview versions of Apple’s software, which will allow developers to prepare versions of their applications which will run on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs.

“Our goal is to provide our customers with the best personal computers in the world, and looking ahead Intel has the strongest processor roadmap by far,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “It’s been ten years since our transition to the PowerPC, and we think Intel’s technology will help us create the best personal computers for the next ten years.”

“We are thrilled to have the world’s most innovative personal computer company as a customer,” said Paul Otellini, president and CEO of Intel. “Apple helped found the PC industry and throughout the years has been known for fresh ideas and new approaches. We look forward to providing advanced chip technologies, and to collaborating on new initiatives, to help Apple continue to deliver innovative products for years to come.”

“We plan to create future versions of Microsoft Office for the Mac that support both PowerPC and Intel processors,” said Roz Ho, general manager of Microsoft’s Macintosh Business Unit. “We have a strong relationship with Apple and will work closely with them to continue our long tradition of making great applications for a great platform.”

“We think this is a really smart move on Apple’s part and plan to create future versions of our Creative Suite for Macintosh that support both PowerPC and Intel processors,” said Bruce Chizen, CEO of Adobe.

The Developer Transition Kit is available starting today for $999 to all Apple Developer Connection Select and Premier members. Further information for Apple Developer Connection members is available at developer.apple.com. Intel plans to provide industry leading development tools support for Apple later this year, including the Intel C/C++ Compiler for Apple, Intel Fortran Compiler for Apple, Intel Math Kernel Libraries for Apple and Intel Integrated Performance Primitives for Apple.

Intel (www.intel.com), the world’s largest chip maker, is also a leading manufacturer of computer, networking and communications products.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

Posted by: graph Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 hublugggggghhhh
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:29 pm
 Post Post subject:

*officially smacks forehead*

apple's really screwing their developers. but, it's cool that Mac OS X has been x86 compatible since its incipience.

Posted by: firstdivision Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 King of all Pimps
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:12 pm
 Post Post subject:

well apple was tired of getting screwed by ibm/motorola. i still think it would have been smarter to go with amd, i mean jesus look at the watt consumption of intels dual core's (approx 270 watts idle).

"..and fuck your parakeet to" -LH

Posted by: Suburban Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:35 am
 Post Post subject:

so does this mean apple will be using the same intel processors being used in wintel machines? or will intel just be manufacturing processors that are built to apple's specifications?

this kinda stinks because i was planning on purchasing a new powerbook this year...guess i'll just have to wait a little longer...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: Deviant Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:52 am
 Post Post subject:

you are all big geeks

Posted by: Tekatoka Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:01 am
 Post Post subject:

Deviant wrote:
you are all big geeks

Listen, Mr. Spent-an-entire-week-and-weekend-building-a-new-studio-PC,

I don't think you have much room to talk Razz

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Posted by: >infraction< Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Professional Hipster
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:10 am
 Post Post subject:

wow, i can see the white tape on the bridge of your glasess from here... Shocked

my earth, my heaven, my heart, my pain

Posted by: Archived Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:07 pm
 Post Post subject:

I believe you will be able to run various OS's on Macs now, but you won't be able to use the Mac OS on non-Apple hardware.

The best part about this IMO is that now there will be the possibility of direct price comparison between macs and pc's.. which will show once and for all how overpriced macs are. beautiful.

Posted by: Deviant Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:42 pm
 Post Post subject:

headrushmusic wrote:
Deviant wrote:
you are all big geeks

Listen, Mr. Spent-an-entire-week-and-weekend-building-a-new-studio-PC,

I don't think you have much room to talk Razz

I never said that I wasn't a big geek, as well. I was simply giving props to my brothers.

King of all Pimps
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:14 pm
 Post Post subject:

i'm not a computer geek Wink

Posted by: Suburban Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:37 pm
 Post Post subject:

Strauzzie wrote:
I believe you will be able to run various OS's on Macs now, but you won't be able to use the Mac OS on non-Apple hardware.

The best part about this IMO is that now there will be the possibility of direct price comparison between macs and pc's.. which will show once and for all how overpriced macs are. beautiful.

like it isn't obvious already?

then again you are paying for style...and yes, i'm willing to pay an extra $bill or two for the bling factor. my powerbooks just look sweet next to each other =P

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

King of all Pimps
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:01 pm
 Post Post subject:

but i still dislike intel b/c they have poor architecture to their chips so they run almost as hot as freaking g5's. they really should have went intel for mobile and amd for desktops.

Posted by: jdat Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:37 am
 Post Post subject:

Anything that can make the technology more accesible to people is a big plus in my book.

I don't know about you all but I don't really like the idea of spending 2 grand for a decent mac ....

Page 1 of 1