Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Forbidden City (General Discussion)
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: Archived Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:57 am
 Post Post subject: I think I'm a vegetarian now...

One of my coworkers passed this on to me..

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=mym2002

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Posted by: jovana Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:44 pm
 Post Post subject:

consider not just going vegetarian but vegan...they don't just factory farm for meat, its also for eggs and dairy

life's not a bitch, life is a beautiful woman. you only call her a bitch because she wont give up that pussy. maybe she didn't feel y'all shared any similar interests, or maybe you're just an asshole, who couldn't sweet talk a princess...

Posted by: Avalon Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Nightlife Goddess
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:32 pm
 Post Post subject: Re: I think I'm a vegetarian now...

Strauzzie wrote:
One of my coworkers passed this on to me..

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=mym2002

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Save it for after Jamie's birthday...,.I'm not slaving over frying pans, an oven and a crock pot for you to only eat the edamame. ;P

But yeah...probably healthier too.....I tried to go vegetarian once, but I'm too picky, never got enough iron, and was tired all the time.

Posted by: bushwik Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:51 pm
 Post Post subject:

PETA did that to me about this time last year after I saw those horrific videos, unfortunately I was only able to hold out for about a month before I need the flesh on my taste buds again. It truly is hard and takes a ton of discipline to become a full fledged vegetarian let alone vegan. I commend anyone who has the cojones to hang in there.

Trainspotter
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:57 pm
 Post Post subject:

its actually pretty easy...so many foods are vegan that one wouldn't expect, even oreos. plus, there are so many replacement foods that are actually pretty good like textured veggie protien instead of beef or soy "ice creme."

life's not a bitch, life is a beautiful woman. you only call her a bitch because she wont give up that pussy. maybe she didn't feel y'all shared any similar interests, or maybe you're just an asshole, who couldn't sweet talk a princess...

Posted by: bushwik Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:04 pm
 Post Post subject:

jovana wrote:
its actually pretty easy...so many foods are vegan that one wouldn't expect, even oreos. plus, there are so many replacement foods that are actually pretty good like textured veggie protien instead of beef or soy "ice creme."

I think the main problem I had was the fact that there werent enough choices...I mean obviously you have to come to expect that you were going to have less choices but boy was it hard. I also found that I ended up eating a lot of junk too becasue it was the only thing available at many times....

Posted by: Deviant Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:38 pm
 Post Post subject:

jovana wrote:

Don't forget about Quorn!
http://www.slate.com/id/2118241
http://www.quorn.com

Plus more reviews of fake meat products:
http://www.slate.com/id/2059720/

Trainspotter
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:56 pm
 Post Post subject:

quorn is nonvegan...actually most meet free processed foods like that are not, you have to be very careful b/c they almost all have egg white in them. boca does make a vegan veggie burger as well as a portabella patty that are vegan, and at heinans and zagaras you can get some really awsome soy chicken nuggets that taste and have the texture of real chicken nuggets. even most soy cheeses are non vegan b/c hey have casin which is a milk derivative. you just have to be careful b/c those seemingly friendly products can be tricky.

Posted by: Derek Carney Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:37 pm
 Post Post subject:

Can you all compile lists of food that are vegan?

That'd be nice to have a VEGAN GROCERY LIST that we can print out and take to the grocery store with us.

I didn't eat meat for a few years in the early nineties while going to CIA and living with a bunch of art hippies... but after I moved out I really couldn't not eat meat while delivering pizzas and having free food around me all night long.

Posted by: >infraction< Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Professional Hipster
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:13 pm
 Post Post subject:

try having a food allergy first, before you decide to make the choice of not eating something

my earth, my heaven, my heart, my pain

Trainspotter
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:53 pm
 Post Post subject:

if you google veganism or vegan food list you should be able to find them...they often have lists of safe foods as well as sneaky ingrediants to look for.

i actually do have allergies which is why i choise to go vegan. not only am i lactose intolerant but when i have dairy i break out in a rash. that and other health related reasons are why i cut meat out of my diet (too hard for me to digest) and i just cut out eggs b/c since i couldn't eat anything else, i might as well.

i am actually much healthier and eat a much more nutritious and varied diet now that i am vegan. i am not the animal rights sot of vegan since i still am ok with leather and suede and such...but it is nice to know that my food is cruelty free.

I<3CNL
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:00 pm
 Post Post subject:

Alright, then... I'll Google around and compile a list, and then maybe you all can add to it.

D

Posted by: curved.space.labs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:58 pm
 Post Post subject:

you don't have to give it up totally...

just cut back, and when you do eat it, make sure you know what you're getting and where it comes from.

Free range, organic meat is fine. There is no cruelty involved, the animals are well-looked after and taken care of and healthy....fed vegetarian diets and given no hormones, etc....

that is how i've come to grips w/ that video... Sad that shit is so nasty, and so sad...i saw it a few years ago, and i will never support agri-bizness ever again.

Speaking of, i just got some mailer from Trader Joe's...they've got Organic Australian Beef, and they go off about how the cattle are raised in the open, drink from creeks and rivers, are fed all natural food, etc....

In that case, i'd eat it.

But yeah, in general, i've cut back a hell of a lot and fell better as a result....just don't think i'll be able to ever give it up totally. Just dont eat fast food, Perdue, grocery store bullshit.

Trainspotter
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:24 pm
 Post Post subject:

"While many of us may think of “free-range” farms as idyllic places where pigs relax in mud baths, chickens strut about, and cows graze leisurely in lush, green pastures while their calves romp playfully, most are nothing like that. There are few government regulations or industry standards to monitor the use of the term “free range,” so inhumane conditions and mistreatment of the animals are common. In fact, the U.S. Department of Agriculture defines “free-range” and “free-roaming” only for labeling purposes and has no inspection system in place to verify that those farms claiming to be “free-range” actually are.

As with factory-farmed animals, “free-range” animals can be subjected to the same physical mutilations without painkillers and are still sent to the same slaughterhouses as their factory-farmed relatives at a young age when their “productivity” wanes.

Dr. Charles Olentine, editor of industry trade journal Egg Industry, put it best: “Just because it says free-range does not mean that it is welfare-friendly.”

The term “free-range” “doesn’t really tell you anything about the [animal’s]…quality of life, nor does it even assure that the animal actually goes outdoors.”
— Peter Perl, The Washington Post Magazine, November 5, 1995
"

more...

http://www.cok.net/lit/freerange.php

http://www.animalsuffering.com/animalcruelty/expose_free_range_turkey_california.html

Posted by: curved.space.labs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:31 pm
 Post Post subject:

interesting. same goes for other types of labeling like rgbh in milk, as far as the gov't not regulating the definitions, etc...

if it keeps going like this, cashews will be the only good thing left to eat!!!

Posted by: PhuturePhysix Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Professional Hipster
Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:40 pm
 Post Post subject:

you can buy meat from the amish also and there are a few meat markets that are from farm raised animals they are a bit of a drive but worth it in the long run.

phuturephysix@yahoo.com
"to walk in someone elses footsteps, means you'll leave no impression on the earth"

I<3CNL
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:34 am
 Post Post subject:

PhuturePhysix wrote:
you can buy meat from the amish also and there are a few meat markets that are from farm raised animals they are a bit of a drive but worth it in the long run.

Actually, there's an Amish store at the corner of my street in Old Brooklyn...very close to Parma (State and Ralph/Burger)... a few blocks north of the State Road exit off I-480. PETA BBQ anyone?

:wink:

Posted by: Justin Hartman Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Hot Tub Beer Golf Champion
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:29 pm
 Post Post subject:

What about those poor veggies that are being steamed alive. Plants have feelings too. I'm going to start eating rocks and mud. :wink:

Trainspotter
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:39 pm
 Post Post subject:

thats generally why i tell people that i'm vegan....b/c i hate vegetables.

Posted by: Justin Hartman Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Hot Tub Beer Golf Champion
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:50 pm
 Post Post subject:

jovana wrote:
thats generally why i tell people that i'm vegan....b/c i hate vegetables.

So......I'm confused. What exactly do You eat? I personally eat more meat and fish than anything else so, I'm kind of an ignoramus on the subject. Enlighten Me please.

Page 1 of 2