Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Forbidden City (General Discussion)
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: firstdivision Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 King of all Pimps
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:14 am
 Post Post subject: Audi A3

its finally here...yaaaay also anyone hear how the demo car was stolen from new york? check this out http://www.audiusa.com/shared/a3_microsite/html/a3_microsite_vin.html

also i'm waiting for them to bring over the 2dr hatch a3 http://www.audi.co.uk/newcars/gallery.jsp?section=/models/a3/a3#

"..and fuck your parakeet to" -LH

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:12 am
 Post Post subject:

I call BS on the Demo car being stolen. Marketing ploy.

As for the A3:

Audi = Volkswagen = Piece of Shit, no matter how good it looks or runs when it's new.

It looks like a sleeker golf (because that's all it is) with the current audi front end, which I think is

Somewhere Chris Bangle is smiling because another German car company is ruining the look of their vehicles in the name of change.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:54 am
 Post Post subject:

Anyone else see the similarities? Guesss which one came first Razz

Posted by: Suburban Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:38 am
 Post Post subject:

bah...

you must've had some bad experiences with one or something..

i've had a '99 a4 since 2002. been beating on it since and i haven't had any major problems. any repairs and services come with a $$ premium tho =/

if i had the fundage, i'd pick up an a3...maybe when they're a couple of years old.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:53 am
 Post Post subject:

Suburban wrote:
bah...

you must've had some bad experiences with one or something..

had a 97 A4 for 5 years bought it at 38.5K miles, dumped it at 147K. it was bought from a dealer and was audi assured until 75K miles.

had to put over 14K in repairs into the car over the 3.5 years that the thing was out of warranty just to keep it on the road. when I dumped it it was ready for about $1000 more in repairs (needed a turbo, needed a new timing belt/water pump/etc.)

Never again will I purchase anything made by Volkswagen. Even If I am someday stupid rich enough to afford a Veyron as a toy I wouldn't touch it because it's still a fvcking Volkswagen. Same goes for Lamborghini.

Posted by: citizenj Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:56 am
 Post Post subject:

On the subject of cars-
Anyone heard about the hybrid accord?
I'm gonna be in the market soon and wanted to know if anybody's got any feedback.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:03 am
 Post Post subject:

citizenj wrote:
On the subject of cars-
Anyone heard about the hybrid accord?
I'm gonna be in the market soon and wanted to know if anybody's got any feedback.

The reviews of it rock...it's faster than the regular accords and gets 30/38 mpg IIRC. I haven't seen or driven one personally, but I imagine it'd be the same as a current ex v-6, only a little faster. Personally I'm a manual transmission devotee, so its not for me and the accords are a little on the soft side when it comes to handling (as are most family sedans) but I'm reasonably sure that you won't be dissapointed.

The only other thing I've heard is that they are in short supply, so expect to pay sticker or close to it unless you go through carsdirect.com (usually about 100 over invoice for hondas) or something similar.

Posted by: Suburban Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:10 pm
 Post Post subject:

the worst i've had to pay for my a4 was 600 dollars to get the door lock vaccuum replaced. my wheel bearings are starting to fail right now (damn cle roads), but hopefully that won't total more than a grand.

i can't beleive you dropped 14k for repairs....you could've bought a new car with that.

i've heard a lot of good things about the upcoming hybrid vehicles....but my main concern is the disposal of the batteries once they're tired out.

are the batteries recyclable? or will they be even more poisonous for the environment compared to gasoline?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: citizenj Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:22 pm
 Post Post subject:

coupla links for ya Suburban:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs.shtml

www.greenhybrid.com

found this in the forums on greenhybrid:
Batteries:
Where did you get the 5 year battery failure figure?
About "Sticking it to the next guy" applies to all vehicles whether it may have an unapparent expensive repair need (transmission, engine, brake, etc).
A wise person will have any potential used car professionally inspected.
About hybrid batteries in a landfill- they are not a toxic substance as you've mentioned next to old oil, etc.

That *may* answer your question, but I'd say some research is in order.

BTW- how's the radio show? I've been going to work early and haven't caught it in the last coupla months....i know, i suck....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:06 pm
 Post Post subject:

Suburban wrote:
the worst i've had to pay for my a4 was 600 dollars to get the door lock vaccuum replaced. my wheel bearings are starting to fail right now (damn cle roads), but hopefully that won't total more than a grand.

i can't beleive you dropped 14k for repairs....you could've bought a new car with that.

Wheel bearings from a dealer will run about 350/wheel IIRC. I did mine myself as I have access to a big bearing press (the bearings cost about $60 each at auto parts stores BTW). You may want to think about doing the front control arms (all 8 ) at the same time as they are bound to be going if they haven't already been replaced.

In all honesty if I'd known about the audiworld forums earlier on I probably would've saved myself a significant amount of money. The timing belt on my car broke at 86k (factory interval according to the manual was 90k. in reality at anything over 60k you're on borrowed time. audi knows this and refusees to address it) costing me over 3 g's. a transmission rebuild was another 2500. the rest is just tons of shit that wore out and needed to be replaced or just failed out of nowhere. The one thing i did learn from that car was to find the online forums for whatever vehicle you have. someone's bound to have already had the same issues you have and found a good way to deal with them.

Page 1 of 1