Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : DJs, Producers, Promoters, Music Discussion Forum
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: curved.space.labs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:04 pm
 Post Post subject:

jealeigh wrote:
csl wrote:
wasn't trying to bash Cleveland or anything like that. One of the drawbacks about trying to have discussions on the internet is how often people get misunderstood.

Its not that I misunderstood your comments.. its the fact that youre coming over here from New York, and jumping on this board.. and basically letting anyone, and everyone know that there's no future to what we do here..

^^^ this is the exact definition of a misunderstanding.

jealeigh wrote:
csl wrote:
and speaking of...if you would've actually read my post, you would've realized I'm from Cleveland....how can I "come to this city" if I'm from here???????????

I know youre from here, you told me twice when we met. BUT you came from New York and youre judging the scene here like it should be competition to whats going on there. We have a small family here.. yeah, I sad small, but atleast everyone that is here doing their thing has heart. We've kept it going for sometime now, and thats why I put my two sense into this conversation.

Yeah, and you know what? Small is exactly what the problem is. I never said the players in it were shit or that people here have any less of an understanding of what's good, (and I believe i did state that) and yet it seems that that's how you're taking it.

As for judging the scene against others? That is entirely valid, and it is a primary component of how scenes, whether they be metal, goth, punk, or what have you are judged. Scenes are, andshould be judged by their size, wtf. 4 people in a basement is not a scene (just an exaggeration, don't get your shit in a twist) -- being able to go out and see quality bands/djs/etc...on a very regular basis is. That is, in fact, the very essence of what a scene is. Sure, they can be small or a bit bigger, or full on kick ass. But i'm pretty sure if you asked a kid in the early 90s into 'grunge' if he prefers the minute scene of 2 bands and no support in Topeka, Kansas, or Seattle, he or she would probably opt for where they could see Nirvana at clubs the size of Peabody's.

Again, it seems you have totally missed the part where I have acknowledged that Cleveland is a lot more happening now, just from the mere fact there's a real dnb weekly...I believe the words I used were "I think its awesome".

jealeigh wrote:
csl wrote:
what's sad is that you cant comprehend what I wrote. try re-reading that ish before letting your emotions take over...

Whats really sad is youre arguing on a message board... for what? Seriously.. I dont think Ive ever seen you out at any other weeklies here in Cleveland besides Spy. Do yourself a favor and explore whats going on here before you judge what "we're all about".

Well, seeing as how drumnbass is my shit, that's why you're seeing me there. If you're trying to imply there are other dnb weeklies that i'm unaware of, by all means, i'm down to check them out..and outside of dnb, shit, if there is some kick ass techno/tech house/breaks party i dont know about, by all means, let us know, alright? Because I will check it out -- like that 2527 spot, Dwreck hit me up and said, "hey this place is chill..stop on by" -- so I am. You just have to understand that as I have just gotten back here, I'm not yet familiar with a lot of the new spots or many of the parties. Forgive my ignorance in this regard.

But that brings me to this board...why do you think I got on this board, to argue? No - I came on here to see what's happening, and try to see if things are any different now here, and, yes they are. Its much better, and I'm greatful to those that have put time and energy into making it that way.

what the fuck, you need to ease back on the defensiveness throttle. I'm not attacking you. I'm not attacking your friends, ok? I'm making valid observations based on what I have personally experienced here and elsewhere. If you can't deal with that on an objective level, I'm sorry...I propose we drop it.

jealeigh wrote:
csl wrote:
Look, I would love more than anything to see this city have a thriving dance music scene. It doesnt mean that what you or I or anyone else does here is any less important or less meaningful than what djs in elsewhere do. It doesnt mean that people shouldn't continue to try to grow the scene by leaps and bounds.

^^^way to overlook that part of my post....thanks.

And what do you do to contribute to this scene here in Cleveland?

I support the one party i've found so far that does shit that I like. I consume mass quanities of alcohol there as well...doing my part to make sure the party stays afloat. I've met Kevin and TikTak, and they're both nice cats...gave TikTak a CD for booking purposes. I'll be at High Contrast, which i believe (i may be wrong) is done by another crew, and at Bailey, which is yet another...and like i mentioned above, if someone can let me in on what's up with quality techno/techhouse, etc...I'll be there in a flash.

jealeigh wrote:
I dont want to sit here and argue either, but I dont think its right for you to possibly give up hope for anyone that still has it here.

It was not my intention to put the damper on anyone's hopes -- I hope I have made that clear. I'm down to do what I can to add to what's already established...

peace... Cool Very Happy

Posted by: Derek Carney Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:23 pm
 Post Post subject:

Okay, everyone...

as my grandmother says, "Fight nice or don't fight at all."

Very Happy

...and now for my best impression of Miles Maeda: Everyone relax. Close your eyes. Take a deep breath. Exhale slowly... etc. etc. etc.

"I feel much better now."
-HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey

Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:29 pm
 Post Post subject:

I was NEVER trying to make the point that a dj can never be successful without being known as a producer.

I think that during the last 5-8 years a Cause-Effect cycle has made it very difficult for a dj make it on skill alone. Maybe you do disagree with that? That's where you say I am wrong anyhow. We seem to agree that average joe does not give a dj any credit unless he produces. Then logically I think that the paths of dj and producers need to dramatically diverge if dance music is to gain new audiences and exposure.

I don't prefer a small intimate scene myself, I think maybe the underground should be. But I think in order to preserve the underground we need something bigger that is dance music driven.

As far as schooling goes -- I never said Cleveland was an electronic music mecca -- i was simply saying it is not as bad as you paint it to be.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:32 pm
 Post Post subject:

One other thing. Regarding drum & bass I actually have a whole other set of beliefs on that right now. I've had the pleasure of turning 3 very different people (who don't know terms like breaks-drum&bass-house-trance) on to nu-tone lately. You know what all three of them said: "this doesnt' sound like techno". I believe dnb is also on a path all of its own, in a very very good way.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: curved.space.labs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:42 pm
 Post Post subject:

TymezUp wrote:
I was NEVER trying to make the point that a dj can never be successful without being known as a producer.

I think that during the last 5-8 years a Cause-Effect cycle has made it very difficult for a dj make it on skill alone. Maybe you do disagree with that? That's where you say I am wrong anyhow. We seem to agree that average joe does not give a dj any credit unless he produces. Then logically I think that the paths of dj and producers need to dramatically diverge if dance music is to gain new audiences and exposure.

I don't prefer a small intimate scene myself, I think maybe the underground should be. But I think in order to preserve the underground we need something bigger that is dance music driven.

As far as schooling goes -- I never said Cleveland was an electronic music mecca -- i was simply saying it is not as bad as you paint it to be.

we're cool, man...its all good... i think we probably agree about more shit than disagree. Smile Cool

I<3CNL
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:05 pm
 Post Post subject:

<-------- hands white flags to TymezUp and curved.space.labs

<-------- makes them hug

:wink:

Posted by: citizenj Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:07 pm
 Post Post subject:

yeah, but if they kiss while making up I'm gonna get sick...... :wink:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number

I<3CNL
Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:23 pm
 Post Post subject:

citizenj wrote:
yeah, but if they kiss while making up I'm gonna get sick...... :wink:

...and I thought you were EATING noodles in your avatar. Now I get it. :wink:

Posted by: Forte Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Grippa Trill
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:12 am
 Post Post subject:

TymezUp wrote:

I want to do something that gives djs hope, and inspires them to work harder at their craft.

Ok so I bothered to read the first page. Then I went on to page 2....blah blah...i didnt really care what everyone else had to say...sorry...but alas...if you want to know how Forte decides on how to book a show, I'll tell you a bit.

First off...getting my attention is key. I have ADHD...or so I made myself believe I do...In either case, I lack attention span...but can annalyze the deadliest of djs mizixing to da t.

I encourage demos greatly. They are really an awesome tool...at many levels. Passing out a CD with felt tip marker tracklisting is great for friends and grassroots promotion! However, when I am encountered by TONS of djs handing me cds, I wanna try and give them all a chance. Sadly, I have a stack gathering of upon 2" in height of CDs i MOSTLY havent heard or heard fully through as of yet. SOOO.....what i suggest is when making a cd, try and create more than a demonstration of your skills, and obviously your grasp on a certain style (or at least let me know that you know what the fuck is going on), and most importantly the prepartion of the media ( Make art cover, plasticy film or writing on disc, fancey case, nice font, no unnoticed misspelings, etc.

But there are 1000 djs submitting cds to Forte...who does he choose n y??? Well, supposng I get through that pile...I can start finishing up some corners in the slots for the night of party "blah"....ok...1 or 2 koala tea residents playing here...1 political or neutral booking of some sort...if room....1 other interesting booking.

Getting that intesting booking slot is tough though. Because there are soo many djs and so little time...I really love to see an artist (note: I didnt say dj) that is pushing the limits. Basically...if they are 110% about the music, or their dancing on a fucking chair on one leg and juggling knives to get my attention and I happen to stare...then theyre doing a good job. If I'm bored...well...your not trying hard enough.

Really PUSH the limits. I love see producers active. So to take a popular saying " death to the dj", I encourage djs to become the best at what they do. And I mean that even if they are doing mroe than just mixing records (and I mean that even if they are scratching records (and I mean that even if they are bringing out live Equipment as accominiment (and I say that if they have a following of 50 people that will pay to get into my show)))).

Was that helpful?

forte@koala-tea.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: graph Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 hublugggggghhhh
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:13 am
 Post Post subject:

has anyone mentioned core values?

like being nice, appreciative, fun to be around, and not act like a total douhebag in public?

Posted by: Forte Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Grippa Trill
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:53 am
 Post Post subject:

graph wrote:

like being nice, appreciative, fun to be around, and not act like a total douhebag in public?

Naw...thats not worthy enough of that one hour timeslot. I meet plenty of those people as a promoter. Still, the best ones suitable for a spot as a performer I DONT judge soley on how good I can shoot the shit the shit with them. If I did, they'd have to settle for my friendship.

No, djs...err artists, in my eyes, require much more.

forte@koala-tea.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: ramzi Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:01 am
 Post Post subject:

graph wrote:

I hear what you are saying...Another core value is a bit of altruism. A dj who only supports themselves won't make for a productive booking. You know what I mean...A dj who is usually seen only when they are behind the decks.

Ramzi

Posted by: Elysium Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Candy Raver
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:04 pm
 Post Post subject:

I can agree with most of what was posted already(maybe not most. I by mistake chose to list posts in reverse order. opps! it's messing me up a little). It also helps to be seen and find the promoters give them a demo. I gotten about 80% of my bookings from being out at the clubs every week(handing out about 4-5000 cds and tapes). Over the past few mounths I have been working hard on my productions. Hence I haven't been out as much and my local booking went down, but soon I'll be out with a new mix and cd of original/remixed tracks. I will also be looking to come to Cleveland to promote it as well. Promoters that may be intrested in booking me please contact me. djelysium@innerchild.biz

Posted by: EricEvasionCumulus Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:28 pm
 Post Post subject:

GO TO EVERY EVENT AND LET YOUR NAME BE KNOWN!!!... THE REST WILL FALL INTO PLACE...

Page 4 of 4