Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Reviews (Completed Events)
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: pepper spray Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Grammar Nazi
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:35 pm
 Post Post subject:

Woo Woo!!

Posted by: validation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 "The Situation"
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:41 pm
 Post Post subject:

yeah, woo woos all around tonight . . . yummy.

Hey, if anybody from this board stops in tonight, I will hook you up with a live mix cd from Ruckus Roboticus that was recorded at his "Dance or Die" night in Athens, Ohio (at the Union). It's a great mix combining hip hop, rock, house, etc. and gives you an idea of what to expect when he plays our "Chicken & Beer" party next month at B Side.

"The Situation"
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:57 pm
 Post Post subject:

on again tonight. thanks to everybody who stopped in last week even though rithma couldn't make it. remember, no cover, cheap drinks, inexpensive tapas & hot music!

currently in the late nite mix:

mr. v 'just dance'
alix alvarez 'the critical point e.p.'
shur-i-kan 'waypoints ep'
john larner & slater hogan - movin our way
quantic 'en focus'
cpen 'puffin stuff'
dave barker 'rocococoa'
freaks 'telefunky'
tiefschwarz 'nix'
boogie corporation 'lay the funk ep'

Posted by: pepper spray Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Grammar Nazi
Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:01 pm
 Post Post subject:

I'll most likely stop by early for a drink or two! Smile

"The Situation"
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:14 pm
 Post Post subject:

on and on . . .

tonight, again stop in for a drink courtesy of your friendly local dj.

i'm in the mood for some greenskeepers, diz, farina, and some mo jackin shit tonight . . .

6-11

Posted by: Faque Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 West Sixth Stumbler
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:33 pm
 Post Post subject: WHat about

some Jimmy Smith Root Down Shizzit?

and ftr, do I get credit for the 5 times I've been to Fusion on Thursdays and you haven't bought me a drink...I'm looking for the five star treatment - - tonight (said ala JB in the BackStage Betty open mic performance skit)

blah blah blah

"The Situation"
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:54 pm
 Post Post subject:

yes and yes.

Surprised

"The Situation"
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:51 pm
 Post Post subject:

on tonight. i have a few more passes to 'one' at vivo (tomorrow night). ask and you shall receive.

"The Situation"
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:10 pm
 Post Post subject:

this week i will be giving the downtempo and deep house a rest and will instead play a set of mainly 80's brit, electro house, and other dark stuff . . . (tiefshwarz, new order, depeche mode, turbo recs, etc)

Posted by: bushwik Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:52 pm
 Post Post subject:

dj vodka wrote:
turbo recs

Drool :flagcanada:

"The Situation"
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:26 pm
 Post Post subject:

deeper house & jazzy downtempo tonight . . . after last week's rock set (for st. paddy's) i need a change of pace.

6-11

"The Situation"
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:07 pm
 Post Post subject:

tonight to celebrate the warm weather i will be mixing up a batch of roots reggae, dub, and summery downtempo.

i would assume the patio will be open as well.

"The Situation"
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:04 pm
 Post Post subject: music giveaways tonight

stop by fusion this evening for some free music!

i will be giving away 12" copies of greyboy's "to know you is to love you" on ubiquity records (dope cover version of stevie wonder and syreeta's classic song)

i also have some more k-os cds and dvds to hand out . . .

6-11

featuring a mix of dub, afrobeat, broken beats, and much more . . .

as always: half price martinis & tapas!

no cover.

Absolute

"The Situation"
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:53 am
 Post Post subject:

El cinco de mayo ("Fifth of May" in Spanish) is a national holiday in Mexico. It commemorates the victory of Mexican forces led by General Ignacio Zaragoza over the French expeditionary forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.

Under the pretext of forcing payment for Mexico's outstanding and crippling debt, Britain, Spain and France sent troops to Mexico. The democratically elected government of President Benito Juárez made agreements with the British and the Spanish, who promptly recalled their armies, but the French stayed. Emperor Napoleon III wanted to secure French dominance in the former Spanish colony, including installing one of his relatives, Archduke Maximilian of Austria, as ruler of Mexico. Although Abraham Lincoln roundly condemned Napoleon's imperialist ambitions in a neighboring country, he was unable to assist Mexico as the United States was embroiled in the American Civil War at the time.

Confident of a quick victory, 6,500 French soldiers marched on Mexico City to seize the capital before the Mexicans could muster a viable defense. Along their march, the French already encountered stiff resistance before Zaragoza struck out to intercept the invaders.

The battle between the French and Mexican armies occurred on May 5 when Zaragoza's ill-equipped militia of 4,500 men encountered the better armed French force. However, Zaragoza's small and nimble cavalry units were able to prevent French dragoons from taking the field and overwhelming the Mexican infantry. With the dragoons removed from the main attack, the Mexicans routed the remaining French soldiers with a combination of their tenacity, inhospitable terrain, and a stampede of cattle set off by local peasants. The invasion was stopped and crushed.

Zaragoza won the battle but lost the war. The French Emperor, upon learning of the failed invasion, immediately dispatched another force, this time numbering 30,000 soldiers. By 1864, they succeeded in defeating the Mexican army and occupying Mexico City. Archduke Maximillian became Emperor of Mexico.

Maximilian's rule was short-lived. Mexican rebels opposed to his rule resisted, seeking the aid of the United States. Once the American Civil War was over, the U.S. military began supplying Mexicans with weapons and ammunition, and by 1867, the rebels finally defeated the French and deposed their puppet Emperor. The Mexican people then reelected Juárez as president.

Contrary to popular belief in the United States, Cinco de Mayo does not mark Mexican independence day. That distinction is reserved for Dieciséis de septiembre ("September 16"), which is celebrated on the night of September 15 through to the early morning hours of September 16 with a re-enactment of the Grito de Dolores – the formal call for an end to Spanish rule in 1810 – at all offices belonging to the executive branch of government, from the president down to the municipal governments.

Also on 5 May 1901, Ignacio Bravo telegraphed the news of the end of the Caste War of Yucatan with the Mexican victory against the state of Chan Santa Cruz.

President George W. Bush greets dancers before their performance during Cinco de Mayo festivities at the White HouseThe rise in Cinco de Mayo's popularity in the United States can be attributed to the Chicano student movement of the late 1960s. Inspired by student-activists nationwide, members of the MEChA organization in California sought to find a day of celebration that highlighted their largely Mexican ancestry. El Dieciséis de septiembre seemed like an obvious choice; however, this day proved too early in the school year for college students to effectively organize rallies and celebrations. Thus Cinco de Mayo became the de facto alternative for these student assemblies. Over the years this holiday grew outside university circles and its activist roots, and was absorbed by mainstream culture in the Southwest United States. For many Mexican-American communities Cinco de Mayo is an important way to proudly honor Mexican heritage, overshadowing Mexico's Independence Day in significance. Non-Mexican Americans also participate in the celebrations, much in the same manner that non-Irish Americans observe St. Patrick's Day, with holiday-themed parties marked by the consumption of Mexican food, tequila and Mexican beer.

Although honored today as a national holiday in Mexico, Cinco de Mayo is more of a regional celebration, particularly in the state of Puebla where the famous battle took place.

- join me at fusion on thursday for some latin flavored goodness from 6-11 . . .

Page 2 of 2