Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Forbidden City (General Discussion)
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:46 pm
 Post Post subject: CNL Upgrade Time - Help us out

Hello...

It is time to bring CNL up to date finally. It will be done by April 1 (if not sooner).

STYLES
I have looked at several different styles and these are the ones I like so far:

buziness_board
3myl_excellence
Absolution

If you feel like googling 'PHPBB3 STYLES' for other styles, I'm open to suggestions. Please participate and post a link in this thread if you see something you like. Pay attention to the way the style works, for instance, in Absolution the user info is on the left, but in buziness_board it is on the right. Styles that don't get actively updated by the developer are harder to maintain, so I will steer away from those unless I absolutely love it!

If I think your style will work for us, I'll install it on the test form. We'll revisit this in a week or so and start a poll for the official new look.

VALIDATION
Validation will be fixed with the upgrade. There will be no POST validation, but the events forms will still require TOPIC validation. As an added benefit, we can give individual users the ability to start new topics if they do it right consistently.

CALENDAR
I have not looked at Calendar options yet. I'm not sure how many of you use this feature currently, but it is rather useful in my opinion for people that want to know what is happening on any given night.

MODERATORS
This is much more involved and you would have to have good internet skills. We'll keep some of the current ones, and others have not been active. I'll be looking for more, if you have interest show it by participating in the demo. If want moderator (or even admin) capabilites on the demo form, let me know.

GROWING PAINS
There will be a learning curve, and growing pains. We'll wipe out the 'Bugs/Help' section when we go live and start fresh and work them out as you find them and have problems. The 'Permissions' are complicated so if something isn't working as you feel it should you need to speak up in the support form. HTML does not work on PHPB3 so you may need to fix your sig and some of the u-tube posts won't work. It uses ONLY BBCode though I can create new BBCODE options if we need them down the road.

DEMO FORUM
http://clevelandnightlife.net/future is the demo board that I set up. Your current user account is active there now.

Please limit your posts to the 'CNL 2.0 Test Category' because that is all I'll be looking at. All data from THIS board will carry over when we go live, but any posts you make there, will not carry over to the new board.

You can change your style, by going to USER CONTROL PANEL : BOARD SETTINGS : BOARD STYLE. When we go live, we will all use the same one.

GRAPHICS
When we decide on a Style, we'll need new graphics. All you artists, get ready!

TAPATALK
http://clevelandnightlife.net/future has TAPATALK installed for all you app fans. It is currently on the ABSOLUTION style (which is currently the default). I'm not sure if you change your BOARD STYLE (when logged in from a pc) if it will affect this app. Unfortunatley, I don't have cool phone to test it on.

Any other questions, suggestions, or input is welcome.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: stoutxtc Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:15 pm
 Post Post subject:

Ok...I think this is awesome! Though I like the current format change is good...and quite frankly its about time...especially with the validation issue IMO...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Posted by: TekKnowProd Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:19 pm
 Post Post subject: Re: CNL Upgrade Time - Help us out

Tymezup wrote:
Hello...

It is time to bring CNL up to date finally. It will be done by April 1 (if not sooner).

STYLES
I have looked at several different styles and these are the ones I like so far:

buziness_board
3myl_excellence
Absolution

If you feel like googling 'PHPBB3 STYLES' for other styles, I'm open to suggestions. Please participate and post a link in this thread if you see something you like. Pay attention to the way the style works, for instance, in Absolution the user info is on the left, but in buziness_board it is on the right. Styles that don't get actively updated by the developer are harder to maintain, so I will steer away from those unless I absolutely love it!

If I think your style will work for us, I'll install it on the test form. We'll revisit this in a week or so and start a poll for the official new look.

VALIDATION
Validation will be fixed with the upgrade. There will be no POST validation, but the events forms will still require TOPIC validation. As an added benefit, we can give individual users the ability to start new topics if they do it right consistently.

CALENDAR
I have not looked at Calendar options yet. I'm not sure how many of you use this feature currently, but it is rather useful in my opinion for people that want to know what is happening on any given night.

MODERATORS
This is much more involved and you would have to have good internet skills. We'll keep some of the current ones, and others have not been active. I'll be looking for more, if you have interest show it by participating in the demo. If want moderator (or even admin) capabilites on the demo form, let me know.

GROWING PAINS
There will be a learning curve, and growing pains. We'll wipe out the 'Bugs/Help' section when we go live and start fresh and work them out as you find them and have problems. The 'Permissions' are complicated so if something isn't working as you feel it should you need to speak up in the support form. HTML does not work on PHPB3 so you may need to fix your sig and some of the u-tube posts won't work. It uses ONLY BBCode though I can create new BBCODE options if we need them down the road.

DEMO FORUM
http://clevelandnightlife.net/future is the demo board that I set up. Your current user account is active there now.

Please limit your posts to the 'CNL 2.0 Test Category' because that is all I'll be looking at. All data from THIS board will carry over when we go live, but any posts you make there, will not carry over to the new board.

You can change your style, by going to USER CONTROL PANEL : BOARD SETTINGS : BOARD STYLE. When we go live, we will all use the same one.

GRAPHICS
When we decide on a Style, we'll need new graphics. All you artists, get ready!

TAPATALK
http://clevelandnightlife.net/future has TAPATALK installed for all you app fans. It is currently on the ABSOLUTION style (which is currently the default). I'm not sure if you change your BOARD STYLE (when logged in from a pc) if it will affect this app. Unfortunatley, I don't have cool phone to test it on.

Any other questions, suggestions, or input is welcome.

I like the changes except the style and for only one reason.
It looks like most other boards, theres something cool about the fact no other forums I use look anything like this one.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:25 pm

Did you try the other styles I mentioned paul?

Subsilver2 and Prosilver are the vanilla ones. 3myl looks a LOT like this one Smile

FYI... if you are googling for better ones... the ones based on PROSILVER are preferred to the ones based on subsilver2 (which I don't like as much).

http://www.awesomestyles.com/phpbb3-styles/demo and http://demo.phpbb3styles.net have a lot of demos however one of the ones I found were found just be looking through a lot a sites.

Last edited by Tymezup on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: stoutxtc Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:28 pm

TekKnowProd wrote:
I like the changes except the style and for only one reason.
It looks like most other boards, theres something cool about the fact no other forums I use look anything like this one.

That's the exact reason why it took sooooo long for Doug to think about changing the board. I personally think that its time though...Absolution and Business Board are in my current running....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Posted by: TekKnowProd Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:36 pm
 Post Post subject:

3myl is cool, the buizness one is crazy though. I think I like it.

Posted by: theoriginalfuzz Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:51 pm
 Post Post subject:

I really love the Absolution one....as for the calender im meh about it but it does come in handy.....

Posted by: Rltvty Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Tallest Nightlifer
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:59 pm
 Post Post subject:

I like the PROSILVER and subsilver2 themes the best, mainly because they still use the full-width of the monitor.

The other 3 use a narrower section of the page (at least with a wide monitor) and I can see less on the screen at one time.

I wonder if anyone could design a theme to match our current style.

Also, I'm interested in helping with moderation in the future.

-- rltvty

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:23 pm
 Post Post subject:

Rltvty wrote:
I like the PROSILVER and subsilver2 themes the best, mainly because they still use the full-width of the monitor.
-- rltvty

I'm not going with prosilver or subsilver for sure - they are just there because they are the defaults. There are plenty that use the full scren though, so get hunting and be proactive about it Smile

Tallest Nightlifer
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:42 pm
 Post Post subject:

Tymezup wrote:
Rltvty wrote:
-- rltvty

I'm not going with prosilver or subsilver for sure - they are just there because they are the defaults. There are plenty that use the full scren though, so get hunting and be proactive about it Smile

Ok, I like these....

http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/X-Treme
http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/AeroBlue
http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/CA+Black
http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/CA+Orbital

http://www.awesomestyles.com/phpbb3-styles/demo/prospace
http://www.awesomestyles.com/phpbb3-styles/demo/skyblue
http://www.awesomestyles.com/phpbb3-styles/demo/hermes (similiar to current)
http://www.awesomestyles.com/phpbb3-styles/demo/ca-orbital (same as CA orbital above, with different background)
http://www.awesomestyles.com/phpbb3-styles/demo/blackbox-blue (very simple)

In general I prefer, a full width or floating width layout, with a dark-colored background and light-colored text.

Trainspotter
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 pm
 Post Post subject:

+1 on the dark color backgrounds there is something about them for sure....should we also be considering other sub forums perhaps? Maybe expanding what we have?

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:44 pm
 Post Post subject:

Eric... I will definately install Hermes to evaluate it was on my list AND there is a way to adapt the color scheme on that one. I have to look at the others again.

Fuzz... we have always added forums as there has been a need. Is there a need? One for sure will be adding that PW protected forum for nightlife insiders.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:52 pm
 Post Post subject:

Hermes is installed. I wish it was a little lighter, though.

Tallest Nightlifer
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:52 am
 Post Post subject:

Tymezup wrote:
Hermes is installed. I wish it was a little lighter, though.

I sent you an email to your poobas address, with a modified Hermes. Its a bit lighter with Orange headings to match the current.

Tymezup wrote:

Fuzz... we have always added forums as there has been a need. Is there a need? One for sure will be adding that PW protected forum for nightlife insiders.

Maybe a sell/buy/trade forum. New items here should be validated. Maybe even ask for a $5 or $10 donation to the forum before being able to sell items on the forum.

Trainspotter
Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:29 am
 Post Post subject:

Tymezup wrote:
Eric... I will definately install Hermes to evaluate it was on my list AND there is a way to adapt the color scheme on that one. I have to look at the others again.

Well maybe a technology forum since we have alot of people who know computers and what not well thats the only one off the top of my head...I know we have these currently in a broad sense but....

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:48 pm
 Post Post subject:

Hermes_Eric is installed as an option now. I'm not sure how I feel about the "full forum" but I do like the style Smile

Suggestions are good... maybe we can add a third group or something. I think those can be made once we go live.

Trainspotter
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:55 am
 Post Post subject:

I like the Hermes-Eric but still thinking it might be too dark a bit......

Tallest Nightlifer
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:30 am
 Post Post subject:

Tymezup wrote:
Hermes_Eric is installed as an option now. I'm not sure how I feel about the "full forum" but I do like the style Smile

I can easily mod the Hermes_Eric so that it takes up 90% of the screen width or 95% of the width. This would create a border space along the edges like we have now, and also maintains the floating width for wide monitors.

Let me know if you want me to make the mod.

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:31 am
 Post Post subject:

I like the hermes_eric for layout, and it's pretty easy to read too. def. should be an option (or something like it that's tweaked as folks like).

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:35 pm
 Post Post subject:

What version of Hermes are you modifying Eric? I haven't figured out how to update styles yet. It is a learning curve for me Smile

* There is a bug in ABSOLUTION and HERMES with the ACP redirect
* Buziness Board, and ABSOLUTION have my favorite layout

I like the menu in Hermes, because it is easy to find. I like the same thing in Buziness along with the other design elements. Absolution it is heard to find stuff.

I still am not a fan of the Hermes color - it does need to be lighter. I don't like the way the headers look too it seems redundant (that header that reads forum).

I'm still looking for other styles Smile

Page 1 of 2