Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : The Food Court: Dining Out or In
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: curved.space.labs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:06 pm
 Post Post subject: Mint Cafe

Ok, tried this joint earlier today, and I was pretty disappointed, considering it's a "critics' pick", and those have been pretty solid overall so far.

1st off, nice spot, very comforatable layout...great staff. Very friendly, plenty of smiles all around, which was nice. If I'm in the neighborhood, I'll most likely give it another shot, because of that...and I'm also thinking I may have caught them at an off time (too early, perhaps). I'd also like to try a few more things to get a more solid basis (I went alone and was unable to try a variety of dishes).

But that being said, the food...hmmm, overall I'd give it a C+.

Definitely better than places like the 2 small joints on Madison in Lakewood, or, god forbid, lemongrass grill, but I was expecting much, much more out of the food given all the accolades.

The Tom Yum Goong was pretty bland. I could barely get any lemongrass out of it, and that's never a good sign. Plus it was not spicy at all (Ty Fun's blows the doors off with flavor and spice), which is a huge downer. Not horrible, but it could have been soooo much better.

And the Massaman Curry was pretty on with the overall flavor, but had undercooked sweet potatoes in place of regular potatoes - bad choice on their part. Also, they brought it out in a flash, I wasn't done with the soup, and it's already on my table? May not have been the freshest as a result.

Gonna have to say Ty Fun blows this place out of the water, but everything considered, I'd still say check it out if you're in the area.

Posted by: Tekatoka Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:07 pm
 Post Post subject:

Go to Bangkok on Mayfield Rd. in Lyndurst. They used to be on Warrensville Rd, but moved several months ago. Have yet to be disappointed. When we first started going there, we were the only people in the place. But now it is steadily packed on weekends. ALWAYS the perfect mix of tangy, sweet and spicy.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Page 1 of 1