Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Reviews (Completed Events)
View previous topic : View next topic

What Evening (7-7:30) Is the Best For You!!
Monday Aug 2nd
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Tues Aug 3rd
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Wed Aug 4th
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Thur Aug 5th
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

Posted by: KosherKuts Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:56 pm
 Post Post subject: Open Discussion on Cleveland EDM

I posting this to try to take some intial steps in dealing with this. I would like everyone who cares to, to meet and discuss Cleveland and EDM. It would be a open discussion with someone to moderate. I would like to have it by the end of next week. so please let me know what you think. I will take the winning date from the poll and have it then. Right now the place to have it will depend on the night. I would like to use Poo-Bas because we all know it, and less likely for distraction, but its up to Doug.

I will give the poll a good 2 days so everyone can get a chance to vote.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:03 pm
 Post Post subject:

Take this seriously...only vote if you are really planning on attending

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Posted by: Tekatoka Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:27 pm
 Post Post subject:

If we want to take this SERIOUSLY, I think all club managers and owners should be in attendance also. When we say everyone has to work together, I think we should mean to say EVERYONE. This is not just up to us promoters, DJs, etc. The people who actually own and operate the spaces we use have to be in in 100% also.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:32 pm
 Post Post subject:

this is just a broad overview meeting, I hope to have more where we can then bring in club owners and managers

Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:14 pm
 Post Post subject:

Regarding the store...your welcome to use it but I agree with the patio thing somewhere... or someone's back yard. I think its gotta be somewhat private though.

I don't feel that this is the quite the right thing yet for many reasons, but I'm down for whatever. I might suggest that you take a "talking" stick and pass it around. Any time I have seen a group get together for a general meeting it ends up being a free-for-all and nothing really comes out of it, and inane topics get discussed. A way of keeping one person on the floor would be a wise idea.

The first area at hand that needs to be delt with is claiming dates and sticking to it. I personally feel this has hurt things a lot this summer. When the scene is so small, it is impossible to build momentum.

I also have to wonder who our discussions should include? If it is a promoter meeting, shouldn't we invite the big players as well? Promoters doing weeklies are also a different level than promoters doing one-off headliner events. I don't feel club owners should be invited, which I'm not going to get into the discussion on this. I feel STRONGLY that this meeting should NOT take place in any potential venue. Strictly on neutral grounds.

Again, what is the purpose of this meeting? What are the specific goals we need to accomplish? When it comes to issues of unity, it seems to me stop stepping on each other's events and the rest will come together in time.

I say we get a pavillion in the metroparks and do it there. I also say we hold off until there is a definative LIST of goals to be accomplished and topics to be discussed. Then it could actually get somewhere.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: candice radin Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:25 pm
 Post Post subject:

Quote:
I also say we hold off until there is a definative LIST of goals to be accomplished and topics to be discussed. Then it could actually get somewhere.

I agree with Doug here.

Posted by: jbunny Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:33 pm
 Post Post subject:

I doubt any club owners would come unless it involved their venue.

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:36 pm
 Post Post subject:

jbunny wrote:

Not even if it gave them the ability to self-servingly post on message boards about how much they care?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:49 pm
 Post Post subject:

Poobas wrote:
jbunny wrote:

Not even if it gave them the ability to self-servingly post on message boards about how much they care?

What do you mean by this comment?

Posted by: djmoose Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:05 pm
 Post Post subject:

unfortunately, my flight back from Portland comes back Monday night, but I kinda have to do BeatMatrix if I get back in time. I work the rest of the other nights. :-/

Count me out, unfortunately.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:19 pm
 Post Post subject:

jbunny wrote:
Poobas wrote:
jbunny wrote:

It was probably an out of place comment. Just remeber I made it, should it come to pass.

Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:28 pm
 Post Post subject:

Poobas wrote:
jbunny wrote:
Poobas wrote:
jbunny wrote:

It was probably an out of place comment. Just remeber I made it, should it come to pass.

I honestly don't know what you mean by it. Are you referring to my previous posts? Please explain.

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:39 pm
 Post Post subject:

jbunny wrote:

poobas wrote:

jbunny wrote:

It was just me looking into the future.. perhaps forseeing a post on cleveland.com

Let me rephrase...

Even if no one chose to use their venue, wouldn't give them the right to post about how much they care (just because they attended one scene orientated meeting)?

I'm not saying it is a bad thing that may come, and DOWN THE LINE it should happen... but... welll....

"Men of real merit, whose noble and glorious deeds we are ready to acknowledge are not yet to be endured when they vaunt their own actions". ....Schines

now back to the topic at hand...

If we are going to do this, we need a solid list of topics to cover.

Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:00 pm
 Post Post subject:

yeah we need a solid list, post topics if ya got them

Posted by: djkaotic Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:07 pm
 Post Post subject: meeting place

I live in Richmond Heights and there is a bar in my complex called Niccos and they never do any entertainment there but it holds over 150 people in the sports bar part of it so there would be plenty of room and lots of tables and it would be a neutral site. let me know

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Posted by: Tekatoka Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:38 pm
 Post Post subject:

I don't know...after a full day of talking about this, I'm not sure we have any more clarity on what it is needs to happen, other than "work together," which in my mind, requires to some degree having the same goals. Beyond just getting more people through the doors at our events, do we really have anything else in common?

Aside from just getting more people out, I perceive that each of us has different goals and objectives within the scene. Some DJs want to make a living off of it. Some promoters do, too. Other DJs just want to get out of their bedrooms, and other promoters just celebrated their first event. We've got the whole label/artist/promotions/international thing going. Others just want to 'keep it real' midwest-style. Some people want to sell records. Others want to sell booze. Some people want sex at their events. Others just want music and a good trip. It occurs to me that the reason there's no scene unity is because we all want varying goals that sometimes conflict with one another.

Idea Is there any unity around wanting a big collaborative event that's a fundraiser for the Kerry/Edwards campaign ? Idea

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:42 pm
 Post Post subject:

Count me in, let me know what I need to do

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:58 pm
 Post Post subject:

headrushmusic wrote:
I don't know...after a full day of talking about this, I'm not sure we have any more clarity on what it is needs to happen, other than "work together," which in my mind, requires to some degree having the same goals. Beyond just getting more people through the doors at our events, do we really have anything else in common?

Aside from just getting more people out, I perceive that each of us has different goals and objectives within the scene. Some DJs want to make a living off of it. Some promoters do, too. Other DJs just want to get out of their bedrooms, and other promoters just celebrated their first event. We've got the whole label/artist/promotions/international thing going. Others just want to 'keep it real' midwest-style. Some people want to sell records. Others want to sell booze. Some people want sex at their events. Others just want music and a good trip. It occurs to me that the reason there's no scene unity is because we all want varying goals that sometimes conflict with one another.

Idea Is there any unity around wanting a big collaborative event that's a fundraiser for the Kerry/Edwards campaign ? Idea

Well said, Amy, however selling records is not my only motive. I was just as active on the internet before the store and my passion for the scene (for those that knew me) was there previous as well. That is a common misconception that some people have (usually those sitting back juging everyone). So let me clear that up. Does anyone that was around in 96 remember taking a "nightlife" poll on the internet? That was mine.

I think ultimately everyone wants to see each other suceed. However, we can't do that unless we learn to respect the goals of others. Not only do we need to respect the goals of other, but promoters have to be willing to change the dynamics of their events so that they will strengthen the overall scene. For Koala Tea, maybe that means putting some house or trance in the lineup. Hard Prog/Trance seemed to work well when Quantum openef for Dieselboy. For Headrush, maybe it means that booking capable non-progressive djs to open for progressive headliners wouldn't be a bad idea. Who knows?

The one thing I really think we need to work on is:

Respect the goals of others.

The thing I hate the most is when those with NO GOALS shit on everyone with them. Or, most recently, promoters not making their "claimed" dates clear enough so that they aren't cutting into the same crowd.

One more time, since no one responded to it, wasn't Festivus supposed to be the first step in a collaborative event? I know some people who are out of town might want to add their input on all of this as well.

I think we need to take this discussion private, and work on a real set of goals.

Posted by: djkaotic Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:08 pm
 Post Post subject: .

i'm going to be downtown tomorrow and will stop by the democratic headquarters and see what they think about doing an event to pump up kerry and edwards :

if there are any specific questions anyone would like to be asked or ideas brought up pm me and i'll check my pm's before i go downtown around 1pm.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:21 am
 Post Post subject:

Poobas wrote:

I think ultimately everyone wants to see each other suceed. However, we can't do that unless we learn to respect the goals of others. Not only do we need to respect the goals of other, but promoters have to be willing to change the dynamics of their events so that they will strengthen the overall scene. For Koala Tea, maybe that means putting some house or trance in the lineup. Hard Prog/Trance seemed to work well when Quantum openef for Dieselboy. For Headrush, maybe it means that booking capable non-progressive djs to open for progressive headliners wouldn't be a bad idea. Who knows?

If you look at the Koal-Tea Line-UP you can see how diverse it is. In the begining stages of this weekly we are still trying to figure out a good formula. The house/trance dj has been brought up and deeply considered. Right now we are changing somethings with the night so that is a possibility.

Page 1 of 2