Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : The Food Court: Dining Out or In
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: validation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 "The Situation"
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:09 pm
 Post Post subject: Two Killer Spots

Pearl Of The Orient (Rocky River)

Been hitting this spot for years and it's always been consistent. However, they recently remodeled and busted out a huge new menu and it's now become my new favorite local spot. The new space looks very modern, very big city, but still cozy. The menu offers cuisine from Thailand, China, Japan, Vietnam and maybe a couple other countries.

The sushi is killer.

Momocho (Tremont)

I love Mexican food - REAL Mexican food. If you know what I mean by this statement, stop by this place. Their menu is great and the space "formerly known as the Fulton Bar" suits what they are doing perfectly.

They also serve Sangrita (note, Sangrita, not Sangria).

Posted by: bushwik Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:37 pm
 Post Post subject: Re: Two Killer Spots

Jim Beam wrote:

Momocho (Tremont)

I love Mexican food - REAL Mexican food. If you know what I mean by this statement, stop by this place. Their menu is great and the space "formerly known as the Fulton Bar" suits what they are doing perfectly.

They also serve Sangrita (note, Sangrita, not Sangria).

Wait...they closed 'The Fulton'??! WTF

"The Situation"
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:41 pm
 Post Post subject:

yes, but John from the Fulton is still front of house. Brandt, if you have a chance, check out the Frontera Grille in Chicago - my favorite Mexican restaurant and chef (Rick Bayless).

Posted by: Avalon Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Nightlife Goddess
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:16 pm
 Post Post subject:

What are the prices like at Momocho...wanted to check it out, but we'd like to be prepared for the bill. Esp the friday night brunch. Smile

"The Situation"
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:52 pm
 Post Post subject:

Quote:
What are the prices like at Momocho...wanted to check it out, but we'd like to be prepared for the bill.

honestly, not sure. had gift certificates and drank a bunch of tequila shots and the wifey paid. but i would assume it's inline with any other decent spot in the hood.

Posted by: ashybutclassy Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:14 am

Jim Beam wrote:
Pearl Of The Orient (Rocky River)

Been hitting this spot for years and it's always been consistent. However, they recently remodeled and busted out a huge new menu and it's now become my new favorite local spot. The new space looks very modern, very big city, but still cozy. The menu offers cuisine from Thailand, China, Japan, Vietnam and maybe a couple other countries.

The sushi is killer.

You read my mind..I've been meaning to stop in there for the last month. My only problem is I can't stop eating at Szechuan Garden in Lakewood. The spring rolls are the best I've ever had, and I've had spring rolls in several countries. Very fresh...hand rolled..light ...crispy...and packed full of veggies. I've been eating there for years and I've never had a bad meal. Well, I take that back. One time a few months ago I didn't care for the shrimp...but that was only one time out of years of going.

I'll stop by the Pearl sometime this week on my way back from Mayfield.

Posted by: skyelarae Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:39 am
 Post Post subject: Momocho

I love that spot. I am a fan of authentic Mexican food and this place gives it. The chef/owner Eric Williams has done some amazing things with the menu. Here is the website:

http://momocho.com/

Posted by: Metz Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:58 am

Jim Beam wrote:

Momocho (Tremont)

You had me confused for a minute. It's in Ohio City, not Tremont.

Posted by: Disco Steve Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:46 am
 Post Post subject: Momocho

be forwarned it IS costly...

"...DANCE...everyday!"

"The Situation"
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:07 am
 Post Post subject:

Quote:
You had me confused for a minute. It's in Ohio City, not Tremont.

of course, my dumb.

Posted by: curved.space.labs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:39 pm
 Post Post subject:

worst. chinese. ever.

(in Bill Hicks voice: don't take that wrong.) Wink

sorry, but i've been having this discussion for over a year - no good Asian food in Cleveland. Especially Thai and Indian. But I read about the Pearl joint online, it got great reviews...megas were raving about how it was the best Chinese in Cleveland. And after living in Chinatown NYC for 2 years, I was going thru withdrawal in a major way....so i made it a point to try it with only the best expectations...

it sucked. flat out. the only thing i'll give them is that they are the only joint i've seen here that has, or even knows, what a scallion pancake is. Those were decent, but this place was no different than any other Chinese in the Greater Cleveland area, imo. Gelatinous globs of "sauce" and absolutely no flavor.

by all means, i'm not trying to be a dick....on the contrary, i would love for someone to show me the spot. Please...for real, i'd love to have to eat my words. it would mean good things.

My theory is that since there is no demand in the midwest, sans Chicago, for Asian food in general, nobody cares. They cater to American tastes, and tweak their recipes, and i'm not just talking spiciness. This is the land of Kraut, potatoes, sirloin and corn. Massaman Curry not spoken here. Sad

on the other hand, authentic Mexican can be found around here for sure. I'll def. try that joint. Cool

"The Situation"
Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:46 pm
 Post Post subject:

yeah, i wasn't really hyping their chinese food (which is funny since that is the type of restaurant they are considered, but i never order it). believe me, i know there is "american" chinese and "real" chinese. i just like their japanese cuisine - which i should note, is probably dumbed down as well.

Posted by: Tiesto Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:22 pm
 Post Post subject:

Cleveland has a couple of good, authentic Chinese joints (read: antithesis of PF Changs... ick) on the near East side around St. Clair. Two that come to mind are Bo Loong and Li Wah. Bo Loong probably has the better food, but is quite frankly a dump. I would definitely hit up Li Wah on a Sunday morning/early afternoon for Dim Sum. Huge variety of dishes and a fun festive atmosphere where ducks hang from the ceiling. Yum!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

"The Situation"
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:57 am
 Post Post subject:

yes damon, i agree.

i think the reason i got so excited about pearl was the fact that they remodeled and made the spot look like a big city hotspot and they extended their menu beyond chinese cuisine. i didn't mean to convey that they are serving the real deal (far from it). it's just good food at a good price close to home (and i normally prefer ethnic eateries over bar & grill type spots). plus i know the owner and main bartender, so i always feel welcome when going there.

Posted by: Avalon Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Nightlife Goddess
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:28 am
 Post Post subject:

Tiesto wrote:
Cleveland has a couple of good, authentic Chinese joints (read: antithesis of PF Changs... ick) on the near East side around St. Clair. Two that come to mind are Bo Loong and Li Wah. Bo Loong probably has the better food, but is quite frankly a dump. I would definitely hit up Li Wah on a Sunday morning/early afternoon for Dim Sum. Huge variety of dishes and a fun festive atmosphere where ducks hang from the ceiling. Yum!

So is that where we can find food like you had at your rehearsal dinner? I literally have been craving some more of that since then. Please do e-mail me the full menu listing you had that night. Yum! Very Happy Wink

Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:48 am
 Post Post subject:

curved.space.labs wrote:

on the other hand, authentic Mexican can be found around here for sure. I'll def. try that joint. Cool

Where? I go to Mexico City on a regular basis, and I haven't found anything yet (although I haven't looked THAT hard) that is truly authentic Mexican. I see a lot of 'more authentic than most' restaurants, but nothing that comes close to what I get in Mexico City. I haven't tried the east side, so I don't know what's over there.

Any suggestions?

Posted by: lilmisszarah Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:31 am
 Post Post subject:

curved.space.labs wrote:

on the other hand, authentic Mexican can be found around here for sure.

eww! Are you kidding me?

I have lived in Cleveland for about a year and a half and I have yet to have any Mexican that I would say was "good."

I'll have to try the momocho place, but it sucks that it's costly.

I'm from Toledo and there are a lot of Mexican people there that make some kick ass food (cheap).

Posted by: curved.space.labs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:59 pm
 Post Post subject:

lilmisszarah wrote:
curved.space.labs wrote:

on the other hand, authentic Mexican can be found around here for sure.

eww! Are you kidding me?

I have lived in Cleveland for about a year and a half and I have yet to have any Mexican that I would say was "good."

well, a fuckload more authentic than the asian, let's put it that way. there is actually a substantial Latino population on the west side, and that means more restaurants and, in my own estimation, a few gems as a result.

and i mean 'authentic', as in real dishes prepared in a traditional way as opposed to Chipotle... Wink

I'd say Mi Pueblo on Lorain is pretty tight...

Quote:
I go to Mexico City on a regular basis, and I haven't found anything yet (although I haven't looked THAT hard) that is truly authentic Mexican.

uhhhmmm....of course there wouldn't be anything remotely comparable. You gotta hit Chicago, LA, NY, and Miami for that....that's just obvious and not even worth stating.

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:34 am
 Post Post subject:

Thread resurrection...we tried momocho a few weeks ago and loved it. It's definitely a cut above any other Mexican that I've had in Cleveland. Both dishes we had were good, the salsa trio was excellent as an appetizer (although the chips had an insane amount of salt on them) and the fried ice cream we attempted to share as a dessert was freaking gargantuan...there had to be nearly a pint of ice cream in the damn thing. The prices weren't too expensive (I think we got out for around $80 with a few drinks) but don't go there expecting cheap mexican.

Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:27 am
 Post Post subject:

Quote:
I go to Mexico City on a regular basis, and I haven't found anything yet (although I haven't looked THAT hard) that is truly authentic Mexican.

Quote:
uhhhmmm....of course there wouldn't be anything remotely comparable. You gotta hit Chicago, LA, NY, and Miami for that....that's just obvious and not even worth stating.

Probably about as worth as you taking the time to make that comment.

Last edited by ashybutclassy on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Page 1 of 2