Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Forbidden City (General Discussion)
View previous topic : View next topic

Would you support EDM events at Abbasso...
Sure, I'd go back there any day
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
I'd consider going back there if the event sounded good
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
I'd consider going back there if I knew all my friends would be there only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I really don't want to go back there but I might consider it for something special
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Screw that place. They ain't getting shxt from me
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
WTF is an Abbasso?
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:57 am
 Post Post subject: The dreaded 'A' word

OK boys and girls, it really seems like this is now more than ever a relevant topic due to some recent events, and, well, the apparent west sixth attitude in general. What is everyone's opinion on Abbasso at the moment? From my point of view it seems like John has the only downtown bar that's apparently willing to stick its neck out a little on EDM events, but I want to hear everyone's opinion. So, speak up!

Posted by: ROBTRONIX Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:12 am
 Post Post subject:

I would probably go there again.

I've only been there on 2 occasions so I guess I would go back.
I don't really know what all went on at that club, with the management situation.

Posted by: candice radin Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:17 am
 Post Post subject:

I can tell you this….
Napoleon had his problems with the owner and had to go off his way for his own sake and is completely happy with the decision he made. I have heard of a couple different crews doing events at abbasso since, and had problems with the new manager closing early and not giving a $hit about the music. Well, that manager is no longer with Abbasso and was just temporary. For those of you that know Mark- he used to bar back and then started bartending…..he is the new manager. As far as I know, he’d be completely supportive to music events.

Posted by: jdat Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:24 am
 Post Post subject:

I would go back any day.

It's very childish to say "I'm not going back because of internal problems"

I know we all want to be supportive of each other; especially Naps cause we're close to him ... but .... I won't comment more. I might make some of you mad Mad

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:35 am
 Post Post subject:

My opinion of the skinny on mgmt. at abbasso...John (the owner who manages sometimes at night) is not the easiest person to get along with. However he is generally pretty straightforward, and at least the last time I talked to him seemed willing to do EDM stuff at abbasso. Mark, who I believe manages on Saturdays, is a generally nice guy and would probably be really easy-going about stuff (and wants EDM stuff back there too).

My personal opinion is that if you don't know why everyone left in the first place and/or haven't dealt with the management from a promotion perspective you shouldn't have any reason not to go there.

As far as supporting Napoleon goes, I would still like to do things at Wish (his new hangout) but the club is not the right size for more intimate events, and may or may not have the 'it needs to be full' attitude

Posted by: validation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 "The Situation"
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:04 pm
 Post Post subject:

fyi- mark is john's brother . . .

Posted by: jasonalias Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:14 pm
 Post Post subject: abasso

i think abasso worked really well for events because of its regular usage ie. regular weekly nights such as the old thursday. i'd like to think it would have the same level of support, but something tells me different.

john would be interested in anything that would bring people into the place, but i don't think his position on the music or the types of people that EDM events bring will change. Mark is very cool, and clearly he will support anything that someone brings to the table.

most people outside of the djs and friends don't care what happened in the past, but getting the djs back in their might be a problem. i know that some are steadfast in their non-support.

just curious though, why you think wish isn't the right place. you could always close one level...

Posted by: validation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 "The Situation"
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:55 pm
 Post Post subject:

for sure jason. when i book shows like john arnold and jazzanova, i have no intention on filling the place up or evening using all the levels - that is just wishful thinking if you think you could do that on w.6th in this moment in time.

Posted by: candice radin Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:58 pm
 Post Post subject:

Personally, the only place I like playing at in wish is the basement. Well, nevermind……I shouldn’t talk. I’ve never played upstairs, but I’m not a fan of playing on the ground floor. I don’t throw events either, but I do like Wish a lot and will continue to go there. Abbasso will never be a regular place I to go to again. However, I do know so people will be doing events there that I would like to check out, so just because it’s at abbasso, that is not going to stop me from going there. Some events are being taken to abbasso over wish because of wish being booked with other events. Also, for certain events, abbasso seems to be the right size/intimate space to do those shows at. As for Thursday open tables at Abbasso….that was in the past. Thursday open tables are now at Wish Smile

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:24 pm
 Post Post subject: Re: abasso

jasonalias wrote:
i think abasso worked really well for events because of its regular usage ie. regular weekly nights such as the old thursday. i'd like to think it would have the same level of support, but something tells me different.

john would be interested in anything that would bring people into the place, but i don't think his position on the music or the types of people that EDM events bring will change. Mark is very cool, and clearly he will support anything that someone brings to the table.

most people outside of the djs and friends don't care what happened in the past, but getting the djs back in their might be a problem. i know that some are steadfast in their non-support.

just curious though, why you think wish isn't the right place. you could always close one level...

Wish - they never have just the top level open, they always keep people on the first level and then open the top level when they have 50-60 people or it's about 11:30. So, if you were only doing something on the top level you'd have what, 3-3.5 hours only to have music. I suggested to Robert @ wish doing something along the lines of having DJ's on the first floor 'till 12, and on the top floor from 11:30 'till close, but he has yet to get back to me on that...IMO that's the only way to do a smaller show at wish and have it work, and that's how I'd like to do it.

Posted by: Justin Hartman Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Hot Tub Beer Golf Champion
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:29 pm
 Post Post subject:

dj vodka wrote:
fyi- mark is john's brother . . .

And two totally different people. Very Happy

I'd go back for shows that I'd like to see or if I would be asked to play. Like Candice said, It will never be My regular hang out again. Booooooo John -- Abbasso YEAAAAAAAA! Its seems like such a waste not to throw partys there.

Posted by: Tekatoka Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:02 pm
 Post Post subject:

Little Picture / Big Picture

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Posted by: andy james Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:58 pm
 Post Post subject:

for those of you who still like abbasso and wanna have a good time.........
http://clevelandnightlife.net/viewtopic.php?t=368

Cool Twisted Evil Cool Twisted Evil Cool Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: Deviant Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:55 pm
 Post Post subject:

I've dealt with a lot of bar owners/managers both here and in New York, and I think that John really gets a bad rap. He has provided us more support for events than any owner or manager whom I've ever worked with. I have never had a problem with his personality. In fact, he often sees things in a very lucid, practical manner. He has given more support to EDM than any manager/owner in town. Name me one other club that has *never* had a hip hop, salsa, or Top 40 night in the last three years (aside from special private events that happened at Abbasso occasionally). He has passed up numerous easy opportunities to cash in.

If you aren't dealing directly with John, then what do you care about his personality, really?

Abbasso is a great spot, we've had great times there, and it's a stupid fucking shame to flush all that down the toilet. There is no compelling reason that I have heard to tell me that Abbasso should not continue being to us what it used to be. There is no other spot in Cleveland that I think will ever substitute for the vibe that we created there (at least, not until we open our own club!). It was the clubhouse for all the people who didn't fit into the cookie-cutter mainstreamism of Cleveland.

And just wait until we throw some subs in there...

--D

Posted by: Tiesto Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:44 pm
 Post Post subject:

Yeah, I guess that I like a lot of people have mixed feelings about the ol' cave. Like others have said, I don't see it being a weekly option or 'homebase' as it used to be. Given the current situation in Cleveland, though, its probably better to utilize the space to push quality events rather than let it sit empty and choke the scene. I don't think the immediate objective would be to make things as they were. That wouldn't happen overnight, if at all. We'd be starting with a blank slate in a way.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: jovana Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:44 pm
 Post Post subject:

i am way out of the loop, i didn't know there was Abbasso drama. I *heart* it there, its the only place i can dance shoeless in cleveland without coming home with splinters or glass shards in my feet. There is also an overwhelmning friendliness and positive energy in that space that i havn't experianced anywhere else in Cleveland...which is precisely the reason i never go out. so whatever the circumstances may be, i cannot wait to dance in the basement again...

...and with subs. mmmm.

-jovana

Posted by: Justin Hartman Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Hot Tub Beer Golf Champion
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:56 pm
 Post Post subject:

I think for the most part people want to party there again. All this talk about that joint makes Me want a Tall Paul like a mother fucker.

Posted by: Tekatoka Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:25 pm
 Post Post subject:

Guinness.

Tap.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:18 am
 Post Post subject:

headrushmusic wrote:
Guinness.

Tap.

Valid.

Point.

Posted by: andy james Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:15 pm
 Post Post subject:

we didn't have any problems with john last friday and he was pretty upbeat about the whole night. sure he didn't like the music that much, but i could care less about his musical tastes. as long as the people in his club are drinking then he is happy. yes it sucks that abbasso can't stay open past 2:30 like days of old, but life goes on. for many reasons i will always have a fondness for abbasso so i see no reason to never go there.

Twisted Evil FREQUENCY RESPONSE @ ABBASSO - 6/18/04 Twisted Evil

Page 1 of 2