Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Suggestions, Support, and Bug Reports
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:06 pm
 Post Post subject: FORUM PROBLEMS

For those of you who were on Tuesday, you know we had a lot of problems.

I thought it was due to some of the recent upgrades (and Lord knows I've probably made some errors)... but the best guess is that the Calandar Mod was causing the problems.

I don't know how no one noticed it before, but the javascript that opens the "week at a glance" pre-loaded the images. Evidently all the events this week had intensive graphics that were adding to the problem.

But... I don't believe that is the whole reason because our friendly system administrator said this site was bogging down the whole server and those images weren't on this box.

ANWAYS...

We have a fresh install. The forum, as you can see, loads *MUCH* quicker now!

The downside is that we lost of lot of the settings of our specialty Mods. Over the course of the next few weeks I will be fixing these.

* Obviously the Calandar is gone. I will be looking into a new one.

* The option to chose your post order is gone (one of my favorite Mod). **FEIXED**

* The option to turn off siglines is gone.

* The CHAT module is gone, never to return. No one used it.

* I am debating about dumping the gallery. Please discuss.

* Merge Topic mod for Moderators will be re-installed.

* RSS has been removed. A new one will be installed.

* This theme, zBlue, was coded terribly with a lot of errors and isn't up to date so that is a problem. I paid for the skin, and shortly after they stopped selling and supporting it - which is why we have a unique look. I'd like to consider replacing it in upcoming weeks if anyone wants to poke around the net and find something suitable I would greatly appreciate it.

If you notice any other inconsistencies, it would be *VERY* helpful to me if you mention them in this thread because it may be something I overlooked. PLEASE be proactive in troubleshooting Smile

Thanks guys, and sorry for the troubles. I wish the new version of phpbb was out because I'd rather be using that with a whole new skin :/

Last edited by Tymezup on Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: Alexandru Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trancecracker
Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:42 pm
 Post Post subject:

Give in: switch to vBB Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:54 pm
 Post Post subject:

Vbb costs money. I like phpbb a lot, really. Just slow to develope.

Anyways

I had to disable all HTML code in siglines and posts.

They will return when phpbb releases a fix for their stupid error.

Still hoping to do the postorder mod tonight.... not having that drives me insane :/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:30 am
 Post Post subject:

SORTORDER has been reinstalled.

This MOD allows you to view NEWEST to OLDEST instead of OLDEST to NEWEST in a thread. You can change your settings in your profile.

By default, phpbb displays oldest first. Anyone who logged on while I was installing this from 12 AM - 1:30 AM might have had their settings switched to display newest first. This forum has always been set up to "turn on" this feature, not turn it off.

Posted by: NRM Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mod from the Future
Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:49 am
 Post Post subject:

ha! i thought you just switched the tag option to fuck with all the people who have suddenly put the biggest most annoying photos in their dig lines...

i still found a way around it (-:

Posted by: Hoppa Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:34 am
 Post Post subject:

:wink:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:51 am
 Post Post subject:

This thing FLIES now Smile

Posted by: geeves Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Professional Hipster
Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:30 am
 Post Post subject:

Many of these mods, while the php may be coded logically, is not coded efficiently and can cause some major bottle necks. Such as nested loops or bad MySQL indexing or just adding extra SQL calls inside of loops :shudder:

Images are the least of your worries, especially since most aren't hosted on your site!

Though for viewing the forums you mainly only have about 25-30 images that are part of the forum - and 9/10 times these are cached inthe users' browser.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:51 am
 Post Post subject:

Adam...

A lot of the mods haven't been updated with current verisions of phpbb either :/

Are you using an existing Calandar Mod on Soulglo? It looks a lot like the one I used to use. I definately want something that is not as heavily integrated as the one that we were using.

I don't really plan on doing many mods this time around so I can avoid problems in the future Smile

Posted by: geeves Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Professional Hipster
Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:26 pm
 Post Post subject:

I think it's the same mod. I just don't put much focus on it. I've written (what I think is) a better calendar / events mgmt into the main page - which is a separate DB altogether. I was going to integrate the two, but too much archic / bad code.

There should have been some sort of calendar feature built into the forum from the beginning. Also the Mod while not being updated is beside the point, is integrated poorly. It should be a lookup table with the pertinent info and not mess with the phpbb_topics table. This way, you can display the calendar and necessary info and not access the topics and posts and post_text table. The rollover and the text from the first post are unnecessary, and only necessary because the calendar has weak information design. The rollover woudl have the date / time / venue / etc and clicking on it would take you to the full post. Anything more than that is cluttered (visually) and overkill.

The existing tables - they're already so cluttered. The only thing they kinda get correct is the posts / posts_text tables. Separate stats from data and keep tight constraints / foreign keys.

Then caching, caching, caching can be important - especially with high views / not as high post rates. For every 10 people who visit 1 person posts (I just made that ratio up). 9 unnecessary DB transactions. If things are cached, it's basically reading files off the server with the only DB transaction being authentication.

Posted by: NRM Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mod from the Future
Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:05 pm
 Post Post subject:

yes it is flying compared to yesterday, i was gonna tell you the site was BROKE (-:

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:34 am
 Post Post subject:

Just and update...

* Calandar is still gone. When I get time next week, I will try to install our original one, or reinstall the last one.

* The option to chose your post order is fixed. I'm still pissed that no one reported the guest account was messed up.

* The option to turn off siglines is gone. That was a mod for dialup users to ignore people with 23423423 banners in their sig.

* The CHAT module is gone, never to return. No one used it.

* I am debating about dumping the gallery. Please discuss.

* Merge Topic mod for Moderators will be re-installed.

* RSS has been removed. A new one will be installed.

* This theme is poorly coded, though I'll deal with it until the next version of phpbb. I *think* I fixed the problem where it loads the default skin first... I didn't document what I did the first time to fix it.

If you notice any other inconsistencies, it would be *VERY* helpful to me if you mention them in this thread because it may be something I overlooked. PLEASE be proactive in troubleshooting

Posted by: ramzi Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:36 am
 Post Post subject:

Doug Burkhart wrote:

* The option to chose your post order is fixed. I'm still pissed that no one reported the guest account was messed up.

Remember that time when guests could post anon???? You fixed that one quick!

R

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:41 am
 Post Post subject:

ramzi wrote:
Doug Burkhart wrote:

Remember that time when guests could post anon???? You fixed that one quick!

R

It took someone 24 hours to tell me that guest account was listen threads from newest to oldest (i had something backwards when I installed it, and it set the default for everyone who logged on to that time in the wrong order).

I liked making this area anonymous for people who can't figure out how to register, but all of the sudden there was too much spam for otc drugs and pr0n Wink

Page 1 of 1