Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : DJs, Producers, Promoters, Music Discussion Forum
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: Avalon Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Nightlife Goddess
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:56 am
 Post Post subject: What makes you play best?

This is a silly little question I'm asking just to satisfy my own curiosity. When we were in Detroit and Saunderson was on the stage It was amazing to look at the volume of people across the main stage area with their fists pumping in the air. Then I got to thinking...could you imagine being the DJ looking out the OTHER direction over all those people. WOW.

I asked Jamie "Can you imagine DJing in front of all these people? I'm amazed he's not so nervous it's trainwreck city. (of course it WAS Saunderson)" and he said something to the effect of the more people the better most DJ's ( or he) plays...that and well it WAS Saunderson.

What conditions do you think make you guys (gals) play best?

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:02 am
 Post Post subject:

She pretty much has it. The two things that lead to me playing good sets are (1) a setup that I'm comfortable with and don't have to mess with much, and (2) more importantly energy from the crowd, be it ten, 100, or more. Good DJ sets are a 2-way street...the more the crowd feels your music the more energy they give you...the more they give you the more you give back...etc. etc....well, at least for me anyway.

Posted by: Jugoe Boss Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:23 am
 Post Post subject:

I concur: a comfortable set up (w proper monitoring) an energetic and open-minded crowd, and perhaps one of the most important things - VODKA. I'm not even joking. I can't play sober. I need at least 3 drinks in me before I can rock it. You lose your inhibition and have the balls to experiment. Sure your judgment is impaired and you might end up playing Samantha Fox, but hey - it's a party right?

If I had any money I'd have socks on.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:35 am
 Post Post subject:

Hmmmm...most of the sets I've played that have gone really well have been...drunken. Jude has a point there.

Posted by: Phoenix Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 CNL Bigmouth
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:04 am
 Post Post subject:

neuspeed wrote:
Hmmmm...most of the sets I've played that have gone really well have been...drunken. Jude has a point there.

To add.. I'm a hyperspaz on the dancefloor, but when I see the deejay up there going berzerk, I feed off of that energy, too. I love to yell at the deejay! Meh! When he reacts and gives a high five or pumps a fist, that is total POWER RANGERS action there, sir! It is a two way street, in constant motion. Razz

Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:05 pm
 Post Post subject:

For a very long time, most of my sets as well were drunken. Jude is exactly right that you loose your inhibitions and it becomes more of a party.

However, when I started at Groovee that all changed for me. I stopped drinking and Mick pointed out to me that Psycho Bitch (someone I admired at one point) told him she became twice the dj she ever was after she stopped drinking. Then I started taking notice, and I could come up with a list of people who I used to love to listen to but can no longer tolearte because their drunkness behind the decks shines through in their music. I think there is a balance... drunken dj's = fun. Alcholholic dj's = tragic.

As for what gets me going? I like to rotate a dancefloor. I want to see people always coming on and off it. I also like it to peak 3-4 times. I like seeing someone getting off in their own little corner, I do not like to see people watching me. I'd rather play off in the corner and watch a crowd of 30 people going crazy to the music than i would to a crowd of 1,000 and have one person standing there on my DANCEfloor watching me with his hands in the air. In fact, there was a day when I would have turned the record off and said "please either dance, or get off the dancefloor".

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: stoutxtc Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:10 pm
 Post Post subject:

I would have to concur that setup and vibe are two very important things. A crowd is key to a really good set although I've gotten into a mode where all I need is one person that can feel me and I'm ok(like the people at Twist dance...well sometimes). Booze is cool but I've had some really good sets sober and just...well feelin on pure adrenaline alone! You should try unlocking that vibe and record sets on & off booze to see the difference!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Posted by: Brandon A Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:49 pm
 Post Post subject:

There was a time, and I think many can relate to this, when being a newbie to playing out mentally inhibited me; to which I thought the answer was alcohol. It definately helped me not look like an epileptic siezure patient when putting the needle on the record, however it also caused those times when I pulled a Sasha@Shelley's and would grab the needle off the wrong record...whoops. Ultimately this led up to comfortability with not only the technical set-up but the environment of the venue as well.

The other factor that affects me is the other dj's that I'm playing with. Personally you can set your own tone and groove, but collectively there's a vibe dj's get from other dj's for constructive creativity / criticism. I don't wanna call it one-up-manship but you do want to keep the caliber of performances and leave your mark on the night.

that bitch is a 4 on a good day -K

Posted by: Derek Carney Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:39 pm
 Post Post subject:

jugoe wrote:
...and you might end up playing Samantha Fox, but hey - it's a party right?

Very Happy That was great when you dropped "I Wanna Have Some Fun" at Lava.

I don't know if anyone else enjoyed it, but I thought it was hilariously unexpected.

Posted by: thomar Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:19 am
 Post Post subject:

my girlfriend. she tells me when i suck.

Posted by: Avalon Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Nightlife Goddess
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:36 pm
 Post Post subject:

thomar wrote:
my girlfriend. she tells me when i suck.

Hmmmm...nah, that would probably get a record over my head.

Page 1 of 1