Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : DJs, Producers, Promoters, Music Discussion Forum
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: ROBTRONIX Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Too Hip For A Rank
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:30 am
 Post Post subject: Re: Ouch

bac wrote:
And let's not forget that as other people mentioned, trance is how many people get into EDM. Some of us just happen to grow up and move onto Drum and Bass Bye

OOooooh snap!

Lmfao Bac.... Laughing

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:58 am
 Post Post subject:

dj vodka wrote:
i don't this event is being thrown to educate little kids about edm, it's being held to make money.

+1. Therein lies the difference between Tru Nightlife and virtually every other group that throws events in Cleveland. Granted there are a few folks (brad for b-sides, jude for Moca are about all I can think of off the top of my head) who are paid to book shows but they are in the direct employ of the club (or museum in jude's case) that they are working for, which is a different situation entirely. If you really want to know why Tru catches so much shit that's it in a nutshell.

Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:47 am
 Post Post subject:

I don't have a problem with anyone putting some coins in their pocket to feed the meter. This is another discussion entirely, though.

The bottom line is what you do with it, and in the entertainment bizz the different between a smart businessman and a dumb one is one who realizes that music is progressive. A record label isn't investing their money in furthering Britney or Justin career, they are spending their money developing what is next. Just as a smart promoter would realize that you must be developing what is "next" to remain ahead of the curve. Unfortunately, not enough people think like that and when they fall behind the curve they just say "dance music just doesn't cut it".

I'd say that Mellon has done a couple of relevant shows, in comparison to rockstars that really don't matter. While we have RITUAL to thank for bring the price of TRU shows out of the rafters, and maybe they learned something. But seriously... take a look at the shows this summer... the ones you are all supporting... and paying $25-30 to go to... when 2/3 of the lineup isn't getting paid. I'd have to say something else is WAY wrong and it isn't this... because at the end of the day PAUL VAN OAKENBUREN is an opportunity to find people to promote to. How much luck do you have promoting to the mindless masses on w6? At least the people finding there way to moda on a wednesday night kinda sorta know something.

I'm not saying you gotta support this stuff, because there are a lot of people into things that Tru would never ever consider even listening to let alone booking... but we gotta stop feeling threatened by some silly trance show. You can go to the party, be cool, and talk to pepople, and tell them how much you think this music sucks... and maybe just show them something else. You won't change the world, but at least you can change one person at a time who will hopefully pay it forward.

Don't get me wrong... I still think Armand Van Helden said it best...
"Oh wait, your late, trance sucks I think you need an update. It's white. Too white. Republican Nazi White.". However.... Rosi O'Donell also said "to walk thru a gallery with a black crayon scribbing on the canvas of others must be a difficult job." There isn't anything wrong with calling things as you see it, and we are all entitled to our own opinions, but all this pc nicey/nicey stuff means we skirt issues and never really get to the real problem half the time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: Phoenix Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 CNL Bigmouth
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:00 pm
 Post Post subject: Re: I agree

Part of what is attractive about the EDM scene is the supposed notion that it is all-embracing and accepting, and I'm just saying that those of us who have in fact grown past trance should approach it with a more big-brother attitude, rather than a bully attitude. A better solution than "trance sucks" may be "OK, so you like trance. Well, check THIS out".

THIS is a GREAT attitude and mirrors mine, also. Great post! Cool

Page 3 of 3