Back to top
|Don't smoke and shit at the same time:
Man Sues Over Exploding Porta-Potty
Posted 6/2/2005 08:20 AM
The lawsuit alleges Pennsylvania man was injured when methane gas leaked into the toilet and ignited when he lit a cigarette.
Story by The Associated Press
A Pennsylvania man injured when a portable toilet exploded is suing a general contractor and a coal company for negligence.
John Jenkins, 53, and his wife, Ramona Jenkins, of Brave, Pa., filed the lawsuit in Monongalia County Circuit Court in Morgantown on Tuesday. They are suing Chisler Inc., a general contractor from Fairview, and Eastern Associated Coal for $10 million.
The explosion occurred July 13, 2004, at Parrish Shaft in Blacksville. Jenkins is a North West Fuels Development methane power plant operator. He entered a portable toilet, sat down and tried to light a cigarette. When he struck the lighter, the toilet exploded.
The lawsuit says the cigarette ignited methane gas leaking from a pipe underneath the unit.
Eastern Associated Coal owns the property where the explosion occurred. Jenkins alleges Chisler ran over the pipelines with heavy equipment before the incident, causing the methane gas leak.
Jenkins had severe burns on his face, neck, arms, torso and legs. The lawsuit says he is permanently disfigured.