Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : DJs, Producers, Promoters, Music Discussion Forum
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:42 pm
 Post Post subject: DE9 number 3...

Resident Advisor wrote:
Music News

Words: Paul Clement

Published: 11:44 am
Monday, May 23, 2005.

The electronic music world is incredibly difficult to stay ahead of. What is branded cool one week, might be slated as dirty the next. Endless techniques are used by artists and their management to try to keep themselves beyond mainstream musical comprehension, and therefore slipping from the razor’s edge where legends can be crafted.

Richie Hawtin is far beyond the forefront of electronic music. His uncrackable image matches his flawless sound and genre pioneering styles. After 4 years, he is back with his latest transformation, evolving alongside technology to ensure he doesn't get lost in a world of dated sounds, average compilations and half-assed singles.

His studio in Berlin has been in full production for the third release in the DE9 series. Following on from Decks, EFX & 909 in 1999 and then Closer to the Edit in 2001 DE9: Transitions is the long awaited latest mix from Hawtin. Utilising the latest recording technologies and automation techniques, he is said to explore not only the traditional musical transition over time and amplitude (X and Y) but the depth (Z) in terms of space and perception - bringing you much closer to the edit so to speak.

Released in September of 2005 on CD & DVD, DE9: Transitions will be recorded within a fully immersive 5.1 Surround Sound environment, complete with high resolution audio versions and accompanying visuals.

Richie Hawtin will preview DE9: Transitions in 5.1 surround sound for the first time at Sonar, Barcelona (June 16 -18, 2005).

WooHoo! Closer to the Edit is one of my favorite pieces of EDM ever...looking forward to this in a big way.

Last edited by Jamie Tyler on Thu May 26, 2005 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted by: Deviant Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:44 pm
 Post Post subject:

I wonder when the first 5.1 club will arrive. (I suppose that you would need a lot of 5.1 music, too...)

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:52 pm
 Post Post subject:

Deviant wrote:
I wonder when the first 5.1 club will arrive. (I suppose that you would need a lot of 5.1 music, too...)

RA wrote:
Richie Hawtin will preview DE9: Transitions in 5.1 surround sound for the first time at Sonar, Barcelona (June 16 -18, 2005).

I'm guessing here if not before...I wonder if the 5.1 processing will make things more 'Concert' - like since it was originally designed for movies which have one focal point (front-center)? Just a thought.

Posted by: ChristopherReddick Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:22 pm
 Post Post subject:

Deviant wrote:

I actually recall reading something in a trade mag about a surround install at a club overseas... and the DJ having a 'joystick' of sorts, that could not only move the music around the club, but rotate it as well. Of course, this was sourced with stereo music... through some sort of processing system made by XTA (i think)...

I'll see if i can dig up the article...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: bushwik Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:50 pm
 Post Post subject:

The new special edition NIN disc is a DVD on one side with a 5.1 recording of all thetracks...Its pretty fvckin badass with a nice house surround sound system. My buddies got a top notch set of B&W surround and it sounded great with the 5.1.. Very concert like I agree

Posted by: ramzi Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:44 am
 Post Post subject:

ChristopherReddick wrote:

I actually recall reading something in a trade mag about a surround install at a club overseas... and the DJ having a 'joystick' of sorts, that could not only move the music around the club, but rotate it as well.
I'll see if i can dig up the article...

This could be a quadraphonic sound - or four stacks of speakers.

Google Poeme Electronique. Not for the recording but for the 1958 world's fair pavillion. 400+ speakers with with 'tracks' to route electronic music!

A quad setup is roughly the same as a car with a balance (left/right) and 'fade' (front/back)...

Where do people listen to music anyway?

In headphones from their portable.

In the car while driving.

At home on the hi-fi.

At a club/concert/live performance.

On the above list the home hi-fi is most suited for 5.1

I don't see how much a club would benefit from 5.1. The odd echoes from the room + the reverb/effects in the music would disturb the 5.1 effect. Just a mono stack can create all sorts of spatial illusions...

Ramzi

Page 1 of 1