Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : DJs, Producers, Promoters, Music Discussion Forum
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: ramzi Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:38 pm
 Post Post subject: Love Parade Demise Is Test for Techno

Read the full article here

"Now, to the extent that it is alive at all, techno music -- and its fans -- will have to go back to the roots -- the small cubs and dance parties where the movement got its start."

Could this be true?????

Ramzi

Posted by: Derek Carney Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:47 pm
 Post Post subject:

That's fine with this guy right here.

Heck, just give me a drum and some floorspace and I'm happy.

It was cozy acid-house parties at 1961 Ford thrown by Cushmere Bell and his crew in 91/92 that got me full throttle into the music anyhow.

Big parties are only good if its an illegal, dirty warehouse space anyhow.
Personally comparing my days in the big parties to the current good times being had in the lounge at Wish and 2527 and Twist on Sundays and V-Lounge...I've met way more good, decent people lately and have been having a blast.

"Corporate Raves Suck." <---Remember those shirts? It's true.

Although...I wouldn't mind some outdoor parties this Summer. Anyone remember the afternoon parties at that park near E. 55th? Anyone got a generator? There's a chillin little park near E. 12th and...somewhere behind the Kinko's on 9th...anyhow, a daytime party there would be sweet...as well as Whipp's Ledges/Hinckley Park.

Alas, I wish I had a generator.

Posted by: Tiesto Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:54 pm
 Post Post subject:

Yeah, my understanding was that the sponsers pulled out and much like DEMF it was hard to make it work as a free event economically. Personally, I don't really care for these uber-events that try to cater to everybody and their uncle... just not my style. What's so wrong with the music moving to smaller venues? That's where innovation takes place... as long as there's the critical mass to support. (Ok, another topic in itself.)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:34 am
 Post Post subject:

This is old news kids. If you can't see the writing on the wall you're blind or in denial.

I totally agree with derek on this one. give me a small room, enough like-minded people to fill it and create a thick vibe, and some great music and I'm happy as a clam. Quite frankly I get really tired of sharing my space and my music with people who would be just as happy listening to fifty cent or britney spears.

Side note...I should have gone to tesor when I was in berlin last year just to see it before it died...oh well.

Posted by: Tiesto Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:02 am
 Post Post subject:

Tresor closed b/c it was in an area that got bought out for re-development, not b/c crowds died or anything like that. I think there are plans to re-open it elsewhere. I would have liked to have gone nonetheless.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: ramzi Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:14 am
 Post Post subject:

1200 wrote:
Tresor closed b/c it was in an area that got bought out for re-development, not b/c crowds died or anything like that. I think there are plans to re-open it elsewhere. I would have liked to have gone nonetheless.

That maybe true but I believe the finale was a raid on the club with a few hundred detained and about a dozen arrested for drugs. I read this in some link off the livesets.com site which is now gone. They had a tribute to Tresor.

Ramzi

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:17 am
 Post Post subject:

1200 wrote:

Potsdamer Platz IIRC. Sony's dumped a ton of money into that area, I think there's a new opera hall, etc. etc.

Posted by: jdat Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:44 am
 Post Post subject:

ramzi wrote:
1200 wrote:

That maybe true but I believe the finale was a raid on the club with a few hundred detained and about a dozen arrested for drugs. I read this in some link off the livesets.com site which is now gone. They had a tribute to Tresor.

Ramzi

Being on the border with Germany I get access to some things you may not.
Well beyond that, there was an interview and a whole piece on the closing of Tresor on a franco-german tv station here and the owner of the place was going over the history of the place and explaining that it was closing due to the redevelopement.
But I dont think he would have dared mention drug raids in a thing for tv for fear of leaving a bad image.

Kind of forgot all that was said though Confused

On a side note:

The Techno parade has not been " techno " in a while. At least not for the most part. Well yes and no that's debatable.

Page 1 of 1