Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Post new topic   Reply to topic MILES MAEDA :: SATURDAY, APRIL 16 :: Wish Nightclub
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Reviews (Completed Events)
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: Derek Carney Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:41 am
 Post Post subject:

TymezUp wrote:
Big ups to d-wreck for being the only one on the floor during that time who was showing his appreciation by dancing (soditch was ralleying troops to be moving on the floor as well).

I didn't even notice. It must have been the yogic trance he had me in. That's funny, 'cuz I thought there were like 5000 people dancing with me.

Anyhow, so, okay, Ramzi... I have to skip out of this thread for two reasons. I absolutely admire and respect Miles (especially after finally talking to him and learning some yoga from him, too) on many levels so I am obviously biased on this matter.

And, two...I'm already causing some blood to boil over on the thread about "no more vinyl" so I'm just gonna let it go. I would suggest, though, that you email Miles and ask him why he plays/played that song. That would be the best thing to do because then we'd know for sure right from the source.

Cool?

Posted by: Naps Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mix Librarian
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:27 am
 Post Post subject:

Quote:
i think when there is a light turnout the dj should play in the basement . . . so the heads can unite and get get down.

At the end of the night everyone came together and got down, even though it was a little light, it was all good at the end. I'm pretty sure even Miles was having fun the last hour, did you guys talk to him at the end of the night??

The one big question I have is, why as a member of the audience did you let Miles, "become lonely". I know first hand that you have to give a little to get a little, and that's one of the main reasons I love dance music and DJ events. The last hour or so got better because the crowd and the energy got better. So why did people just sit around for the first half of his set, or why were they not even upstairs in the first place? Why did the audience let Miles, become "Lonely"?? If you as a memeber of the audience knew this was going on, and care about it, why did you just sit against the bar and not react to it?? Why didn't you go and, " give a little to get a little "... Dance, bob your head, whatever, but be proactive in helping the situation. Why just sit there and bitch later??

This isn't directed at one person, it's just more for everyone to think about who was up at the show earlier in the night. Question

I<3CNL
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:16 pm
 Post Post subject:

Ramzi, I forgot to include Miles' website so you can email him:

http://www.milesmaeda.com/

You can send him email at the bottom of the page.

Let us know what he has to say about it.

Thanks.

Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:30 pm
 Post Post subject:

naps wrote:
Quote:
i think when there is a light turnout the dj should play in the basement . . . so the heads can unite and get get down.

At the end of the night everyone came together and got down, even though it was a little light, it was all good at the end. I'm pretty sure even Miles was having fun the last hour, did you guys talk to him at the end of the night??

The one big question I have is, why as a member of the audience did you let Miles, "become lonely". I know first hand that you have to give a little to get a little, and that's one of the main reasons I love dance music and DJ events. The last hour or so got better because the crowd and the energy got better. So why did people just sit around for the first half of his set, or why were they not even upstairs in the first place? Why did the audience let Miles, become "Lonely"?? If you as a memeber of the audience knew this was going on, and care about it, why did you just sit against the bar and not react to it?? Why didn't you go and, " give a little to get a little "... Dance, bob your head, whatever, but be proactive in helping the situation. Why just sit there and bitch later??

This isn't directed at one person, it's just more for everyone to think about who was up at the show earlier in the night. Question

Personally I don't like the idea of starting in the basement and moving upstairs for two reasons:

1. If you are someone who decides to check out the show, and you are not part of the "in the know crowd" you have two choices.

1. You walk into top40 land and if you are looking for something "more" and you don't know the basement exists and you don't know anyone you are like WTF? What's the deal?
    2. If you *do* find the basement, it is at times an awkward atmosphere. Everyone knows everyone, and while we are all very friendly, it can be daunting for noobs because it's like walking into a family reunion. Don't get me wrong... that's not a bad thing (for us) but put yourself in the shoes of a customer.

2. THE VIBE. I don't get moving a party from one room to another and having it make sense or even be cool for the dj. Most people were getting upstairs just as Miles was going on. Why even bother with a warmup dj? Why not have everyone stand around in silence for 15-30 minutes then put the dj on to have more of an impact.

Maybe I'm being over critical, but I've heard more than one person make these comments. The dj going on so late is another big issue. I've seen this happen over and over again through the years with both bands and djs alike. In the bigger picture of things, it really doesn't make sense to put the dj on late. People know wish closes at 2:30 -- even if they do stay open late for guests that still means no liquor or whatnot.

Even for a head, it gets to be a bit of a hassle. If you know you can't go upstairs at wish until at least 12:30 on a saturday night - and you know you want to avoid top40 land and don't enjoy the basement setting -- then at what point does the hassle outweigh even going at all?

I dunno... just some ranting I guess. I purposely held off going out until late so I could go in and go straight upstairs. That was shot down when I got there and I figured the next best thing was "I'll wait until it opens then I'll get a prime seat at the bar" -- but all the seats at the bar were already filled before the upstairs even opened.

At the end of the day, however, Wish has brought in some great talent and done some cool stuff. The purpose of this post was not to nit-pick or bitch -- only to simply point out some stuff I see that could make the experience better and increase the potential for growth.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Mix Librarian
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:48 pm
 Post Post subject:

Quote:
Personally I don't like the idea of starting in the basement and moving upstairs for two reasons:

I agree with you, so far the best I've seen it work out at Wish was the Tripwire show. It's hard to work with the 3 floors??

Posted by: validation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 "The Situation"
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:51 pm
 Post Post subject:

i didnt mean start down there and then move it. i mean keep it down there - keep it underground where it should be!

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:51 pm
 Post Post subject:

naps wrote:
Quote:

I agree with you, so far the best I've seen it work out at Wish was the Tripwire show. It's hard to work with the 3 floors??

I'd agree with the Tripwire show -- but that was because a) there is a whole sect of kids who don't go out to clubs EVER who wanted to see tripwire and b) there was EDM on the middle floor before the upstairs opened. Brad was doing his own thing in the basement completely seperate.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:56 pm
 Post Post subject:

dj vodka wrote:
i didnt mean start down there and then move it. i mean keep it down there - keep it underground where it should be!

Even though its only me -- I probably wouldn't go at all if I knew in advance it would only be the basement. While I like the basement -- it takes dance music and relegates it to the lounge inside the dance club. To all those masses who already think "nobody listens to techno" it proves that point. Can't even put dance music in a room with a dancefloor -- and the available room to dance is sandwiched between two couches. If we are trying to be elitest about it... by all means... keep it in the basement.

Posted by: validation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 "The Situation"
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:07 pm
 Post Post subject:

i guess, but at the end of the night, who was left standing up there? pretty much the same people who hang in the basement on thursday. so i guess what i am saying is if the mainstream people aren't even gonna kick it on the third floor, then why not tighten it up and let the people who are going to enjoy it get down in an environment that doesn't seem so stark.

recently a local dj said to me something like 'this music is underground, we should treat it as such instead of trying to force feed the masses.' i don't about yall, but this hit home with me ...

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:23 pm
 Post Post subject:

dj vodka wrote:

recently a local dj said to me something like 'this music is underground, we should treat it as such instead of trying to force feed the masses.' i don't about yall, but this hit home with me ...

That brings up a whole other discussion.... so I'll bow out of it in this thread.

Mix Librarian
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:53 pm
 Post Post subject:

Quote:
b) there was EDM on the middle floor before the upstairs opened. Brad was doing his own thing in the basement completely seperate.

That's what I was getting at, an opening DJ on the middle floor! People get stuck in the basement, and I think the big shows should still be upstairs and not locked up in the basement. I know what you're saying Brad, but the upstairs dancefloor isn't really that big. If you get people on that dancefloor, it's on! But people have to get down and dance first, and that was my first point of being proactive! "Don't just sit there, DO SOMETHING!!" :wink:

Posted by: Phoenix Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 CNL Bigmouth
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:07 pm
 Post Post subject:

TymezUp wrote:
dj vodka wrote:

Even though its only me -- I probably wouldn't go at all if I knew in advance it would only be the basement. While I like the basement -- it takes dance music and relegates it to the lounge inside the dance club. To all those masses who already think "nobody listens to techno" it proves that point. Can't even put dance music in a room with a dancefloor -- and the available room to dance is sandwiched between two couches.

This I have to agree with, also. Although, the downstairs is very intimate and VIP-like, I can't stand it for dancing. I go to see deejays to dance and it feels like a bowling alley down there. My favorite are smaller intimate clubs, but that's just a bit too small and intimate. It's cool for a Thursday/Wednesday night, but I don't wanna be down there at all on the weekends. I love the top floor. Why not use it?

I<3CNL
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:09 pm
 Post Post subject:

Maybe they should move a couch or two from the basement onto the fringes of the upstairs dancefloor. .. thus creating a little more space in the lounge as well as giving the people who dance a quick spot to refresh and down a cocktail and then the floor upstairs won't look so sparse when we stop to refresh.

--------------------------------------------------------------
"That'll be exactly two cents... thank you for your opinion and have a pleasant tomorrow."

Posted by: ramzi Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:46 pm
 Post Post subject:

DJ Dwreck wrote:
I have to skip out of this thread for two reasons. I absolutely admire and respect Miles (especially after finally talking to him and learning some yoga from him, too) on many levels so I am obviously biased on this matter.

I would suggest, though, that you email Miles and ask him why he plays/played that song. That would be the best thing to do because then we'd know for sure right from the source.

Cool?

Dwreck you are taking all the fun out of this thread! If you read the first few messages you'll see that I'm a fan of Miles Maeda...

I'll give you two reasons to stay in the thread...1) You make film art 2) You like house music.

TymezUp's comment about house djs as story tellers is a great description...That is what makes House special. And I am not writing about the lower case h house either...

As for what floor to put the DJ at Wish it doesn't matter. If every floor was packed then in wouldn't matter. Hats off to Forte and the Funk Charms crew for filling the place!

A quandry is why weren't there more people there last Saturday...

Ramzi

Posted by: stoutxtc Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:05 pm
 Post Post subject:

I'm only posting this because this thread has gotten a little bit out of hand. I emailed Miles to thank him for coming and to tell him that I lots of fun! This was his response(I'm only copying & pasting here)...

i had a blast too! thank you for making it so enjoyable...it was nice to share some of the 'old school' with some of the 'old school'! and i'll be back to do it anytime...

cheerios
miles

Remember despite all of the problems and nit picking & bitching it all comes down to the music! It time to set all of that aside & make the best of what we got(at least for right now)! Summer is almost upon us so let's dance & act like we know!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

I<3CNL
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:13 pm
 Post Post subject:

ramzi wrote:

Dwreck you are taking all the fun out of this thread! If you read the first few messages you'll see that I'm a fan of Miles Maeda...

I'll give you two reasons to stay in the thread...1) You make film art 2) You like house music.

TymezUp's comment about house djs as story tellers is a great description...That is what makes House special. And I am not writing about the lower case h house either...

As for what floor to put the DJ at Wish it doesn't matter. If every floor was packed then in wouldn't matter. Hats off to Forte and the Funk Charms crew for filling the place!

A quandry is why weren't there more people there last Saturday...

Ramzi

Oh, so you just want to use me as your emotional punching bag! (just kidding )

:wink:

I was just going to skip out because I was picturing that guy from one of the Adam Sandler movies who keeps a list of people who rubbed him the wrong way and he's going to do bad things to them...so I just don't want to wind up on anyone's hit list. Shocked

Headline: Male, 32, dies from being force fed shards of a vinyl record at nightclub.

I don't wanna be THAT guy.

Anyhow, in all seriousness, I saw your comment as picking apart Miles' set and not appreciating the entire set as a whole. That's all... but I'm glad to hear that you indeed are a fan. That didn't come across too well, in my eyes..but then again that's the communication problem that pops its ugly head up when the written word is used without hearing someone's tone of voice or knowing their sense of humor... agree?

Posted by: ramzi Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:30 pm
 Post Post subject:

DJ Dwreck wrote:
Anyhow, in all seriousness, I saw your comment as picking apart Miles' set and not appreciating the entire set as a whole.

Just being conscious of what I was hearing...It is not muzak to me!

Actually, the Wish set was the most enjoyable time I've heard him. The sound was pretty good although Wish's subwoofer is blown. People were dancing. Friends hanging out.

Anyone ask Miles for a CD? In the past he was pretty good about giving out promos. Used to be you could only get his mixes from him or Grammaphone in Chicago. Kid you not we'd make the 5 hour drive just to buy Grind jeans and his mix tapes - before JNCO was in JcPenny!

Ramzi

I<3CNL
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:37 pm
 Post Post subject:

ramzi wrote:
Anyone ask Miles for a CD? In the past he was pretty good about giving out promos. Used to be you could only get his mixes from him or Grammaphone in Chicago. Kid you not we'd make the 5 hour drive just to buy Grind jeans and his mix tapes - before JNCO was in JcPenny!
Ramzi

True, I used to work at the GNC (2740 N. Clark) across the street from G-phone and Untitled and they always had a stockpile of amazing mixed tapes and CDs. Now I'm sounding like Spyder but I miss that convenience.

Posted by: Tiesto Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:50 pm
 Post Post subject:

I'm getting in on this late, and I wasn't at the show thereby destroying all credibility... but, sometimes a song is just a song without delving into 10,000 levels of the subconscious. Sounds like Miles had a good time. Why not leave it at that?

On the subject of floors, Wish is in a precarious position as the basement definitely has the vibe going on, but is about 5-10 feet too narrow to establish the kind of floor you would want for a medium-size draw. Sometimes it's nice to have the extra elbow room on the top floor, even if you have to deal with the usual W 6th business. It really creates a tough decision on where to place the DJ.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Page 3 of 3