Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Forbidden City (General Discussion)
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: stoutxtc Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:15 pm
 Post Post subject: WRUW telethon

Beginning next week and continuing all week long, WRUW will host their annual telethon in which all shows including Beat Matrix and Raver's Edge will reach out to the community to ask for donations that will help fund the station's annual budget.

In previous years, funds raised from the telethon was used to purchase much needed equipment in the air studios that was broken from constant wear & tear from use of the 24/7 broadcast, up to date production and live music concert events put together and hosted by WRUW. The funds were also used to strengthen the transmitter feed to 15,000 watts, which means that all programming, including guest DJ's on Beat Matrix & Raver's Edge are heard by a larger audience!

I know that it is hard for many of us that resides in one the poorest cities in the nation to come up with any kind of extra money, but for this I know it is worth it. Any amount that can be spared, not matter how big or small will be greatly appreciated! Think of the people who will get to hear local DJ's that they haven't known about or events they haven't heard about for one reason or another. Most importantly, think about the kids that will soon be old enough to start attending these event's!

We scenester's know that we are fighting the good fight and try to support as many events as we can, but we need more people to support all of the events! People who are sick & tired of being sick & tired of being force fed commercial music through corporate heavyweights who only care about profits, not music! Outlet's such as WRUW are just one very important in the nurturing of this scene!

I've said it dozen's of times before and I'm saying it once more. Support your local scene! This is one very important way, no matter what type of music that you are into, to do that.

Cool

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Posted by: vitruvius Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Grillmaster
Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:16 pm
 Post Post subject:

Hey thanks for putting this up, I was meaning too, but was too swamped this week.

We have some great thank you gifts this year for donations as well.

Sure to be a popular choice: a WRUW-logoed pint glass as our thank you gift for a donation of $25. :-D

...and much more.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:15 am
 Post Post subject:

BizUMP!!!!

Its the start of the annual telethon this week! Donate what you can and help support all of your WRUW shows! We will be playing some of your favorite tunes throughout the week and as always continue to support your local scene! You CAN make a difference!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Posted by: ENENEN Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:33 am
 Post Post subject:

woah, cleveland has an electronic station? since when? how far is the listening range? i've never heard this station, and i'm wondering if it's new (as in since I left for school), or if it just didn't reach the Akron area.

Posted by: jdat Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:30 am
 Post Post subject:

ENENEN wrote:
woah, cleveland has an electronic station? since when? how far is the listening range? i've never heard this station, and i'm wondering if it's new (as in since I left for school), or if it just didn't reach the Akron area.

It's not electronic exclusively but most of the shows are all pretty good Wink

taken from www.wruw.org

A Brief History of WRUW

In 1946, WFSM was founded by the Flora Stone Mather Radio Club, "broadcasting" via a public address system. Since that time, it evolved into an AM carrier-current station (WRAR, starting in 1955) and then (on February 26th, 1967) to the FM broadcast station it is now. WRUW 91.1 FM began as a ten watt mono station serving the University Circle neighborhood of Cleveland. WRUW gained stereo capability in 1974 and, in 1980, raised its power to 1,000 watts. The evolution of WRUW was competed when, on March 5th 2002, WRUW increased its power to 15,000 watts. WRUW now serves a large portion of the Northeast/Northern Ohio region, from the Ohio/Pennsylvania border (to the east) to Toledo and parts of Michigan (to the west) and portions of Canada (to the north).

So yeah it's 91.1 check it out ... but I'm not sure if it works all the way down in Akron but you can always listen to the stream online.

Posted by: graph Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 hublugggggghhhh
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:20 am
 Post Post subject:

friday night i was crusin' to lakewood and there was awesome jazz on 91.1. perfect Smile

Grillmaster
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:30 pm
 Post Post subject:

graph wrote:
friday night i was crusin' to lakewood and there was awesome jazz on 91.1. perfect :)

"Down By The Cuyahoga" with Jazzbo. Longest running Jazz show in Ohio. :-)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: ENENEN Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:22 pm
 Post Post subject:

whoops, i hit the back button and reposted.

Posted by: Suburban Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:02 pm
 Post Post subject: better living through radio

The beauty of WRUW is that it is a non-profit, non-commercial entity allowing programmers such as myself and Vitruvius to have complete creative freedom over our timeslots.WRUW provides a service for the local scene here by allowing shows like the Beat Matrix, Electroshock Therapy and the Raver's Edge.

Radio is one of the most accessable ways for somebody to learn about new music, especially the younger crowd. A lot of kids in high school (and even middle school) have no legitimate way to listen to new underground music. They are too young to go to clubs, and probably have a hard enough time affording CDs to begin with. Downloading music on the internet is an option, but it is illegal, and its hard to know where to begin.

Thanks to WRUW, people in Cleveland (not just the youth) have access to the latest titles in electronic music; not just CD releases but the 12" singles that our guest DJs play every week. WRUW also provides a downloadable archive for anyone's personal use. FUrthermore, we are able to publicly broadcast event listings and news pertaining to the local scene.

Radio, WRUW, provides a way for the younger generation to learn about electronic music and our local scene. The kids listening to WRUW now are probably going to be ones going out to events and checking out all of you locals in a couple of years. Radio really has the ability to shape young minds and tastes. By supporting WRUW, you are essentially supporting yourselves. The more audiences WRUW can reach, the more audiences will seek out the scene.

How do your contributions help WRUW you ask? Past contributions have helped the station upgrade from 1000 watts to 15000 watts, extending the broadcast range to reach nearly all of north eastern ohio. Last year, telethon contributions helped the station purchase a digital studio to transmitter link to improve audio fidelity. The WRUW tech-crew is always cooking up new and better ways to deliver music to our listening audience.

College radio is truly the only alternative to commerically owned radio stations. Think of it as the last line of defense underground music has against corporatized radio. How much is that really worth to you?

Donations in any amount go a long way, especially when everyone makes one. This is the only week we'll be asking for your support, you won't get a chance until next year!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Grillmaster
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:09 pm
 Post Post subject:

Oh, and we even have an online form this year as well. http://www.wruw.org/telethon

Though if you want WRUW Schwag, you gotta call in.

Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:05 am
 Post Post subject:

Thanks to all those who made donations during our telethon edition of Beat Matrix! Now remember, this is only the beginning of a week long event so if you couldn't make a donation during our broadcast, you have all week to make one no matter how big or small, it will be of great significance to WRUW and besides you still have Raver's Edge to support! Now, if you would like to make your donation and make it in support of Beat Matrix...well by all means feel free! :wink:

Grillmaster
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:45 pm
 Post Post subject:

Hey just an update from the telethon office.

Thanks for all your support so far! Keep it up, we have some great electronic shows coming up this weekend.

Saturday 6-8pm The Raver's Edge (House, Techno, etc.)
Saturday 10pm-12am Darkfield Imagery (Industrial, SynthPop, Trance)
Sunday 2-5am Urban States of Brainwashing (Hip Hop, Trip Hop, D&B)

So make sure the call in support some great electronic programming.

216-368-2208
www.wruw.org

Things are going really great so far, and we want to keep the awesomeness going!

Grillmaster
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:54 pm
 Post Post subject:

More heads up. We got in plenty of great music premiums today (thank you gifts for donations, and whatnot) and I wanted to let you know about a few of them.

We have a few copies of the new Daft Punk (I know some of you aren't keen on it, but I kinda dig it).
Some Trax Record compilations.
A whole bunch of Fabric and FabricLive mixes (including some of my favorite ones: Stacey Pullen. Freestylers, Doc Marten, etc.

We'll have those and much much more as thank you gifts for donations going into this weekend. So remember to call in and pledge your support for WRUW!

Posted by: NRM Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mod from the Future
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:46 am
 Post Post subject: oh yeah

people should donate, i donated online to "beat matrix".

an asset to the community as well as the electronic music scene in general!

MLF/NRM

Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:31 am
 Post Post subject:

On behalf of Suburban & myself... Thank you Mike! And a Thanks to all of those who have donated & supported Beat Matrix and all of the programmed shows on WRUW! We've got one day left...Its On!

Page 1 of 1