Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index

Calendar

Post new topic   Reply to topic DJ Skribble :: Thursday, April 7 :: Wish :: Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Reviews (Completed Events)
View previous topic : View next topic

What to do?
Cancel
100%
 100%  [ 10 ]
Reschedule
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Posted by: stoutxtc Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:16 pm
 Post Post subject:

Boo Slam Head Slam Head Slam Head Boo

Teevee

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Posted by: Jamie Tyler Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:17 pm
 Post Post subject:

Deviant wrote:

Skribble backs up this philosophy with action. He has been known to play free gigs in the least savory of situations, including ... the annual convention for the Deaf Americans Society in Cleveland, Ohio.

the funny thing is that I read right through this and the BS meter in my head didn't even budge. I think it needs a new battery.

Posted by: candice radin Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:18 pm
 Post Post subject:

Nice one dave Laughing Shocked
funny stuff Laughing Laughing

Posted by: vinyljunkie Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:29 pm
 Post Post subject:

Strauzzie wrote:
Quote:
"Hell, I could even beat-mix silence if I had to."

I took this to mean he had a rare copy of John Cage's 4'33" on vinyl. Or not.

hahaha. nice one!

Posted by: ashybutclassy Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:48 pm
 Post Post subject:

Hip-Hop ><= Rap

Posted by: Tekatoka Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:50 pm
 Post Post subject:

Deviant wrote:
Just found this article...very interesting...

EXCERPT FROM PROFESSIONAL DJ MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2002:

SPOTLIGHT ON: DJ SKRIBBLE
by Brock Armstrong

Don't miss next month's spotlight on MARK RONSON.

Now, this is a genuine article on MARK RONSON Shocked Some of this sound familiar? :giggle: I think Dave had to actually deal with this guy when in New York.

Goldfinger

Mark Ronson is not merely a celebrity DJ. He also inspires the artists he spins.

BY REBECCA LOUIE

If most DJs heard as many requests for songs as Mark Ronson does for work, more than just their records would spin. In a typical month, Ronson receives more than 70 job offers from popular entertainers, fashion moguls and the cultural elite. He has played everything from the White House Correspondents Dinner to the Playboy Lounge and is the celebrity DJ of the moment, someone whose name on an invitation almost guarantees the right mix of cool.

"I'll do stuff that's strait-laced if I can balance it with a premiere or record release party," says Ronson, 25, sipping merlot in a Manhattan restaurant. Dressed in dark jeans and a Stevie Wonder T-shirt, his lanky frame and runway-disheveled hair give him the appearance of a disaffected preppy. "You don't want to look like you'll say yes to anybody. You can't totally sell out."

Before spinning records became an art form, the DJ was set up in the background, close to anonymity. Big names in the '80s earned about $50 a night. But their fortunes changed once shows for live bands died out and rap crossed over. The status of the DJ soared to the point where Ronson now is in heavy rotation on Page Six and in the major glossies.

The irony is that Ronson, who pulls $2,000 an hour, now finds himself just as famous as the celebrities who hire him. He's an ex-model for Tommy Hilfiger with a huge loft in fashionable Tribeca and a set of best friends from an A-list Rolodex. In 1998, Jennifer Lopez hired him for Sean "P. Diddy" Combs' 29th birthday bash.

The son of British socialite Ann Dexter Jones and stepson of Mick Jones (guitarist for Foreigner), Ronson grew up vacationing in the Hamptons and hanging out with Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen at his family's Central Park West home. As a teen, he was nerdy - "bookish musically" is how he puts it - the type of kid to memorize album liner notes and pore over Billboard. Party czar Peter Gatien gave him his first professional job, in high school, working the turntables at the sprawling Club USA. Attending Vassar and then NYU, Ronson became a regular at downtown hip-hop spots where bartenders broke up fights by smacking people in the head with fire extinguishers, and soon he was fielding offers for store openings and celebrity parties. "I'm not doing the super-hard-core parties, like The Tunnel, where there are shootings and stabbings," Ronson says. "I'm kind of in between. Everybody's pretty chill. Like, half the place smokes weed, but it's not Ecstasy- or drug-driven. That's the big, big clubs."

Later this night, he'll play Club Cheetah, one of his two weekly New York gigs (the other is Centro-Fly). Ronson likes to roll in about 10 minutes before going on, with three or four people behind him lugging big crates of 12-inch vinyls, usually around 400. "I'm a kitchen sink DJ," he says. "I bring everything so I'm sure."

An encyclopedic record collection and fast hands aren't the only things that place Ronson a cut above the rest. Unlike most DJs, who play one type of music, or blocks of favorites, Ronson keeps clubgoers guessing what he'll drop the needle on next. He's known as much for wowing crowds with his track twists as for packing the dance floor, and he can play to diverse audiences. It's not every turntablist who can make an inspired transition from Joan Jett & the Blackhearts to M.O.P. "Every DJ can have the same hit records; it's how you play them that counts," says pioneering club and radio personality Red Alert.

But Ronson says moving the crowd just isn't what it used to be. A surplus of "model chicks" has turned the parties into "these pseudo-fabulous things where people come for the scene more than the music." That's why on most nights last summer Ronson could be found in a production room at the Hit Factory, focusing on a career as a producer. He's now working on a comedy album with Saturday Night Live standout Jimmy Fallon. "This is my new acquisition," says Ronson, holding a vintage Baldwin Fun Machine. "It's like this '70s keyboard with all these cool old sounds. It gives me inspiration." He hits the samba button and plays a set of chords from Beck's Where It's At. Being in the studio has taken some getting used to, says Ronson. He misses the thrill of experimenting live, in front of a crowd.

It's almost as if Ronson hears what others miss, a common beat or agreeable lyric that links tracks from distinct eras. He showed just how clever he is at a party two years ago: In the middle of Jay-Z's Do It Again, Ronson inserted a snippet of the intro to Big Daddy Kane's classic Ain't No Half Steppin' - hot on the heels of Jay-Z's rhyme warning against the sort of thug gimmickry to which Kane had fallen victim. It lasted only seconds, but people are still talking about it - especially Jay-Z, who was in the audience. Months later, when they ran into each other at a gym, Jay-Z told Ronson he'd "bit" Ronson's mix and performed it at Summer Jam 2000. Jay-Z had stopped the record at exactly the same point and brought Kane onstage via a hydraulic lift.

"It was the coolest feeling," Ronson says, sounding like a boy whose project just won the science fair, "to know that in playing the records I love, I inspire the artists who recorded them."

New York writer Rebecca Louie spins the Cure on her portable Crayola record player.

http://www.usaweekend.com/01_issues/011125/011125goldfinger.html

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Posted by: validation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 "The Situation"
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:58 pm
 Post Post subject:

he spins with q tip at table 50 on wednesdays (i think).

Posted by: Tekatoka Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:43 pm
 Post Post subject:

dj vodka wrote:
he spins with q tip at table 50 on wednesdays (i think).

Yeah, I think he's more of a straight up hiphop dj now; what I was marveling at in the article was that someone would actually bring 400 records to a gig. I could see having that many in stock at the club if you were there all the time, but actually lugging that much on a cab or through an airport....dayum. I think I'd rather learn how to use a CDJ!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

"The Situation"
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:21 am
 Post Post subject:

yeah, no doubt. i usually try to stick with the 'one crate only' way of doing things.

Posted by: Archived Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:10 am
 Post Post subject:

except for the Fusion marathons, right B?

"The Situation"
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:10 am
 Post Post subject:

for house, yes. for other music, fusion takes another half bagger :wink:

Posted by: andy james Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:23 pm
 Post Post subject:

headrushmusic wrote:

what I was marveling at in the article was that someone would actually bring 400 records to a gig.

that's what i was referring to in my post. techno djs like adam beyer, jeff mills, dave clarke, etc. who spin on 3 decks usually only bring 2-3 crates MAX for a 3 hr. set (or longer).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Posted by: PhuturePhysix Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Professional Hipster
Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:01 pm
 Post Post subject:

reviews anyone?

phuturephysix@yahoo.com
"to walk in someone elses footsteps, means you'll leave no impression on the earth"

Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:07 pm
 Post Post subject:

As per Damien...

Skribble's wife is pregnat and he didn't want to leave her and chance being stuck out of town over the holidays. He did not play and the basement and middle floors were open.

I filled in for Rob Black, who was sick, at Twist.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: Justin Hartman Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Hot Tub Beer Golf Champion
Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:38 pm
 Post Post subject:

That and there were 8 flights coming in or going out of Cleveland yesterday. 230 canceled flights.

Posted by: Touch Supper Club Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:16 pm
 Post Post subject: RESCHEDULED FOR THURSDAY FEBRUARY 24TH

RESCHEDULED FOR THURSDAY FEBRUARY 24TH

Posted by: andy james Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:45 pm
 Post Post subject:

TymezUp wrote:

Skribble's wife is pregnat and he didn't want to leave her and chance being stuck out of town over the holidays.

i think he didn't make it to cleveland because the airlines couldn't fit all 9 crates of records on the plane so he said screw this i'm going home Finger Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:39 pm
 Post Post subject:

Next Thursday!!

Laughing

dine::::::drink::::::dance::::::connect

Online Supper Reservations Here

Cleveland: Pay for what you get.

Posted by: DJIanC Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:18 pm
 Post Post subject: Info

Need info. Whats the charge to get in? What time does he start? Some details please

VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:21 am
 Post Post subject:

W00t
Bump!

dine::::::drink::::::dance::::::connect

Online Supper Reservations Here

Cleveland: Pay for what you get.

Page 3 of 5