Calendar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : Suggestions, Support, and Bug Reports
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: Tymezup Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:00 pm
 Post Post subject:

theoriginalfuzz wrote:

Not trying to be a jerk but just saying beyond the uniformity of the subject line what is the one good reason to require validation on replies and posts in those forums? Other than censorship

There is no way to turn it off, if moderators would validate properly it would not be an issue.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Posted by: Project7 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Person Who Passes Out Flyers
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:12 pm
 Post Post subject:

So is it or is it not a bug then? Some mods say it is some say its not its just frustrating.....Im thankful for the board and yes i know its free but so is every other forum im on and those are not so heavily moderated like those 2 on here are.....again just trying to be constructive

Posted by: stoutxtc Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 pm
 Post Post subject:

I thought that its a bug...if not then by all means let me know so I don't have peeps up my(edit) everytime I pop online...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Posted by: Project7 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Person Who Passes Out Flyers
Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 pm
 Post Post subject:

stoutxtc wrote:
I thought that its a bug...if not then by all means let me know so I don't have peeps up my(edit) everytime I pop online...

Stouty it was just a matter of my timing again but there does seem to be confusion if its a bug or not

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 am
 Post Post subject:

Moderators should never use the "validate" button. The correct way to do it is:

1. Edit the FIRST post in a thread.
2. Check both of these options:
..... Validate all posts awaiting validation in this topic
..... Deactivate Post Control in this topic
3. Click Submit

It is easier, you validate all posts in the thread, and you end up turning it off in the thread.

Note:
If the person who started the thread edits the first post, validation for the thread is enabled again

The Bug!
Sometimes, this is random, if the author of a thread makes a reply validation gets turned back on. It is never consistent, sometimes nothing happens, sometimes validation gets turned back on, sometimes nothing happens.

What this means:
If you make a post, did not start the topic, and the author did not make a new post - if it requires validtion the moderator did it wrong.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number

Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:06 am
 Post Post subject:

Ok! Duty noted...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Posted by: validation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 "The Situation"
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:01 pm
 Post Post subject: ..

Question

Last edited by validation on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted by: graph Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 hublugggggghhhh
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:48 pm
 Post Post subject:

misterbradleyp wrote:
come on guys, how many times do we have to go through this fucking post validation fucking bullshit? didn't doug just tell you how to avoid this fucking shit? fuck.

UGH I NEED EVERY AVAILABLE SECOND BEFORE MAY TO PROMOTE THIS

FUCK

Posted by: graph Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 hublugggggghhhh
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:03 pm
 Post Post subject:

misterbradleyp wrote:
worst day ever ... looking forward to punching somebody in the face tonight. sign up sheet at the front door of the grog shop. no cover.

cheer up brad Very Happy

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:02 pm
 Post Post subject:

misterbradleyp wrote:
hey dick, start spending thousands on shows and you will freak out too. this forum shit isn't rocket science and once again, this is the only fucking board i know of that requires validation. i also think it's interesting that i'm the only one that bitches about this board openly and therefore seem to pay the price with having my posts constantly fucked up.

Get over yourself, please. I might take it a little more seriously if you bothered to click the paypal donate button but you have never done that. (one person here does - once a year). Also we are lucky to get 1 ad click a week. There isn't much incentive to keep it up. So shut up, put up, or make an offer on the site. The last appraisal I had done was actually pretty substantial. Here's the stats for the last 30 days:
8,974 Visits
67,416 Pageviews
7.51 Pages/Visit 25.85% Bounce Rate
00:05:47 Avg. Time on Site
20.99% % New Visits

I actually turned off validation because I was sick of your whining, just to give a trial run, but the more I think about it back on it goes. Say what you want, do what you will, if you haven't noticed I could care less.

Posted by: (216)BASS Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:37 pm
 Post Post subject:

brad, do you want me to delete all of your events or are you going to put the info back up for them?

Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:14 pm
 Post Post subject:

I think that we should just wait it out til the tantrum is over...

Posted by: Naps Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mix Librarian
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:36 pm
 Post Post subject:

So Brad finally snapped on this, I have been sitting back watching this culminate for a LONG time now... Popcorn

To be honest I do see his point though.

Posted by: (216)BASS Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:46 pm
 Post Post subject:

it makes no difference to me, i just help out moving events to the reviews section and validating posts when i can. not sure what happened this time & like everything else could give a fuck less about it. let me know if i should move these threads to clean up the events section, have a nice day.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:47 am
 Post Post subject:

Naps wrote:
So Brad finally snapped on this, I have been sitting back watching this culminate for a LONG time now... Popcorn

The point I see is that it is a conflict of interest to have moderators who host events. They can disable validation as they make a post. There is no mal intent on their part, that is just the way it is.

Playing the vicitim, pointing fingers, and turning it into a conspiracy theory is not a way to proove this point.

Posted by: Naps Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mix Librarian
Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:40 pm
 Post Post subject:

Tymezup wrote:
Naps wrote:

The point I see is that it is a conflict of interest to have moderators who host events. They can disable validation as they make a post. There is no mal intent on their part, that is just the way it is.

Playing the vicitim, pointing fingers, and turning it into a conspiracy theory is not a way to proove this point.

My first post down(at least, or more) should be moved to drama so we can all talk about this because I do think there are some good things to discuss openly here.

That being said I do see both sides.

Objectively this is the only forum of any kind that I am on that uses a "validation"

I do understand the need to keep things uniform and to make sure all info is available before the post goes up.

The issue really is the amount of time it takes to validate posts and the crazy "bug" that pops up and lists post needing "validation" with-in the thread itself after it has been up. We all know that does suck and I do not see that happen on any other forum.

I do appreciate both sides of this, but I do feel the validation thing doesn't need to happen and it causes more problems than it does good.

Just my 2 cents.

PS
Anyone remember the "Nitty Gritty Forum"????
And maybe we should throw in some cash to keep this old girl running!! Tax refund anyone??

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:43 am
 Post Post subject:

We might as well keep it all in one topic Naps.

First of all, the idea for uniform topics came from Blulight. Maybe our Moderators forum has the original discussion I will have to look. There were several reasons for this.

Do you guys remember the way we originally did this?

No one could start a new thread. You had to reply to a sticky post, and then someone would get around to eventually creating your post. That method took 2-3 days to get your post and people complained far less then.

Benefits
======
1. Uniform Topics make for a better presentation.
2. Uniform Topics made the Calendar function easy to use. Believe it or not some people do use it and this is a feature other forms don't have.
3. Ensuring that Spam, Inappropriate posts, and lame "claim a date" threads weren't getting posted.
4. Forcing a price to be posted, so that people couldn't get away with charging whatever they want whenever they want.

Disadvantages
==========
1. No instant gratification or drunk topics, etc.
2. Some of the Mods can't figure out how to turn off thread validation once the topic is validated. I don't know how I can be any clearer on this.
3. If you edit the first post in the thread, thread validation is back on.

Some of the mods host events, so it appears they have an unfair advantage. Realisticly we are talking about a matter of less than 24 hours for a thread to be validated and while I see the point - this is just a whole lot of whining and excuses.

I would have been receptive to turning it off because I actually see the conflict of interest and how this is not good. Had it been presented this way, it would probably have been done. In the case of Brad who repeatedly talks about how no one reads this forum, how he doesn't need to post here, how he doesn't know why he posts here --- to turn around an whine about validation --- I started to think "I wonder what the people who pay for the form think". Then I realized just who these people were, and that only 1 out of the maybe 10 have voiced an opinion. The one person who contributes yearly hasn't come out against it.

I am thinking towards PHPBB3 in the next few months. With this upgrade, the current bugs will go away. We'll also loose the calendar and the look will change to something a little more sterile (unless someone finds something cool we can use). Discussing it is really kind of pointless.

If someone were to find a PhpBB3 look that were decent and help contribute some graphics work I would do the upgrade this month.

Housin' Yo' Ass
Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:42 pm
 Post Post subject:

I'mma throw my two cents here...

With Todd and myself coming aboard here as mods I think that we were on the validation thing...making the wait time smaller and smaller and taking some of the slack off of the other mods cause we're on here more. I myself have on more than one occasion engaged Brad and tried to put his mind at ease. After awhile tho, I'm like sorry I do have a life and I'm not always readily available to turn off validation 24-7 just cause someone whose using a free site to promote wants instant gratification and I shouldn't be contacted through other means just to come up to the site to validate when I'm not online. I don't think that any of the mods on here are intentionally keeping validation on a post with anyone if its formatted correctly.

All n All...even if I do see the point to the rant....its still ultimately dumb as fuck and the constant bitching is old...

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:14 am
 Post Post subject:

Me can move to a reactive perspective instead of proactive - do away with validation. In turn, lock (or continue to invalidate) threads that aren't properly formatted.

Posted by: Derek Carney Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 I<3CNL
Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:08 am
 Post Post subject:

Tymezup wrote:
Me can move to a reactive perspective instead of proactive - do away with validation. In turn, lock (or continue to invalidate) threads that aren't properly formatted.

How could anyone change/edit/fix a post that's locked, though?

Page 2 of 3