Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cleveland Nightlife Forum Index : The Food Court: Dining Out or In
View previous topic : View next topic
Posted by: curved.space.labs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:08 pm
 Post Post subject: Ty Fun Bistro...

FUCKING OWNS CLEVELAND.

ok, seriously, i don't even know how to describe what a shot of brilliance this is to Cleveland's poor restaurant scene.

A+ on all levels. very simple and minimal decor...wait staff was pleasant and efficient...presentation was creative and very attractive and the food was absolutely outstanding. purely awesome and nothing short of the best Asian food in Cleveland.

FINALLY something real in this 'burg.

We had the Thai Spring Rolls, Chicken Satay and Tom Yum Goong for appetizers...and a whole Striped Bass w/ Tamarind sauce and Chicken Massaman Curry for entrees...

every single bite was bursting with flavor...the massaman could have had just a tad more zing to it, but was comparable to the best massamans i've had in Manhattan, Queens & Brooklyn. The Tom Yum and the spring rolls were really out of this world...just superb....

Why is food like this so hard to come by here?????? jesus, MORE PLACES LIKE THIS PLEASE. ((
be warned: they don't have a liquor license...its BYOB.))

do yourself a huge culinary favor, and check this spot out. its moderately priced...and you def. save by bringing your own drinky...

***and you can trust this review...i've eaten at the best Thai joints in New York (about 10-15 total) and San Francisco...and i mean the best Thai in NYC (Jai Ya), so i can say with a pretty good basis of comparison what's good and what isn't...and i'm saying this place kicks major fucking ass. i'll stop short of blowing the chef, but...yeah.....aces. real asian food in cleveland..imagine that!

815 Jefferson in Tremont.

edit: I totally forgot about the Pad Thai. "is nice....i will like it very much..."

Afterhours Champion
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:06 am
 Post Post subject:

ha...just found this... Laughing

No one digs Asian food here? I mean, it would explain why there's no good Japanese, no good Chinese, and 1 Thai joint to speak of. Oh yeah, and Cafe Tandoor on the east side for some decent Indian. But for real...oh wait...let me guess...I pissed everyone off by calling out Clevo on it's sucky offerings in this area of cuisine? [It wasn't about bashing, though, it was about bigging up. Wink ]

Reason I bring it up is they apparantly got their liquor license now. And I want to go there right this minute @ 4.03am and go the fuck off on their entire menu.

Posted by: Metz Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:41 pm
 Post Post subject:

curved.space.labs wrote:
ha...just found this... Laughing

No one digs Asian food here? I mean, it would explain why there's no good Japanese, no good Chinese, and 1 Thai joint to speak of. Oh yeah, and Cafe Tandoor on the east side for some decent Indian. But for real...oh wait...let me guess...I pissed everyone off by calling out Clevo on it's sucky offerings in this area of cuisine? [It wasn't about bashing, though, it was about bigging up. Wink ]

Reason I bring it up is they apparantly got their liquor license now. And I want to go there right this minute @ 4.03am and go the fuck off on their entire menu.

Madras Cafe (formerly Maharaja) is better than Cafe Tandoor. I still love Phnom Penh for Asian.

http://www.pluggedincleveland.com/restaurants/1226+madras+cafe+old+maharaja.html

http://www.ohiorestaurant.com/

Afterhours Champion
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:28 pm
 Post Post subject:

Metz wrote:

Madras Cafe (formerly Maharaja) is better than Cafe Tandoor.

I would try it before I passed judgement, but Indian is actually the one cuisine I'll judge more critically than any other, as I know it better than the rest, having gotten the treatment for 10 years w/ my ex, her mother, grandmother, aunts, and the 3 cooks they had over that time. I have little patience for sub-par Indian food, and don't really eat it at restaurants because 9 times out of 10, I can cook it better at home. Wink

Posted by: vitruvius Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Grillmaster
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:43 pm
 Post Post subject:

Metz wrote:
I still love Phnom Penh for Asian.

Agreed.

Honestly, I've been less than impressed with Ty Fun. Food's not bad, but it's a bit pricey for what you're getting, IMO.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Afterhours Champion
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:41 pm
 Post Post subject:

vitruvius wrote:
Metz wrote:

Agreed.

Honestly, I've been less than impressed with Ty Fun. Food's not bad, but it's a bit pricey for what you're getting, IMO.

Dudes:

Phnom Penh is Cambodian (with a smattering of Vietnamese thrown in).

Ty Fun is Thai.

I hope you're not trying to compare the two...seriously, this is like the 6th time in the last 2 years someone has brought up Phnom Penh when I'm talking about Thai food. What the shit!?! One has nothing to do with the other Wink

As far as Thai food in the Cleveland greater metro area, Ty Fun is light years beyond anything else available. It's not the best I've ever had, not by a long shot, but unless you want to take a trip to San Francisco or New York, you're not going to find better around here.

Posted by: Touch Supper Club Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 VIP Line Jumper
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:42 am
 Post Post subject:

Have you been to Mint or PepperMint?

curved.space.labs wrote:
vitruvius wrote:
Metz wrote:

Agreed.

Dudes:

Ty Fun is Thai.

I hope you're not trying to compare the two...seriously, this is like the 6th time in the last 2 years someone has brought up Phnom Penh when I'm talking about Thai food. What the shit!?! One has nothing to do with the other Wink

As far as Thai food in the Cleveland greater metro area, Ty Fun is light years beyond anything else available. It's not the best I've ever had, not by a long shot, but unless you want to take a trip to San Francisco or New York, you're not going to find better around here.

dine::::::drink::::::dance::::::connect

Online Supper Reservations Here

Cleveland: Pay for what you get.

Posted by: Disco Steve Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mnml Scarf Wearer
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:50 am
 Post Post subject: Ty Fun Bistro...

Keep exploring: both are extremely affordable, and consistantly good.
Let's not bash Cleveland / we are here - let's make the best of it!

Tay Do
11725 Snow Rd.
Parma, Ohio 44130

Phone: 440.842.0392 Chinese,Vietnamese,Vegetarian

Udupi Cafe
6339 Olde York Rd. ( G R E A T buffet !! )
Parma Heights
(440) 743-7166 Southern Indian cuisine with an all vegetarian menu.

* Wed. - Mon. 11:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.
* Tues. CLOSED

D. Steve

"...DANCE...everyday!"

Posted by: glitchjunkie Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mix Librarian
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:58 am
 Post Post subject:

[quote="curved.space.labs"]
vitruvius wrote:
Metz wrote:

Ty Fun is Thai.

Phnom Penh rocks.. so f'ing good.

Never been to Ty Fun.. but if you are ever in Akron area check out Siamone's.. it is run by a cambodian lady but it is all thai food.

If any of you remember Bangkok gourmet down in the valley (of akron) years ago she used to chef there.

If you are REALLY lucky and stick around till late night she *might* get out the stripper pole. Smile

Afterhours Champion
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:27 pm
 Post Post subject:

glitchjunkie wrote:

If you are REALLY lucky and stick around till late night she *might* get out the stripper pole. Smile

reminds me of this one time....wait, nevermind.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have heard decent things about Udupi, but you basically have to force me at gunpoint to go into that part of town.Wink And like I said, I'd rather cook Indian at home - just made Zheera Aloo & Hare Masale Wali Murghi...massive win everytime.

And I've heard of Mint, but somehow overlooked it. I'm intrigued...and steamed for not having seen that it was Best Thai 2007 & critics pick. Shocked I think I just mistook it for the place on Coventry & Mayfield that closed. Even more mysterious, since I regularly scan the Scene Restaurant guide...

Posted by: vitruvius Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Grillmaster
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:40 pm
 Post Post subject:

curved.space.labs wrote:
Dudes:

Ty Fun is Thai.

I hope you're not trying to compare the two...seriously, this is like the 6th time in the last 2 years someone has brought up Phnom Penh when I'm talking about Thai food. What the shit!?! One has nothing to do with the other ;)

I'm not necessarily.

To be fair, though, you first brought up the broad category of it being the best Asian food around, and you also slammed the entire Cleveland restaurant scene, so I don't think you can really slam us for being overly broad in comparisons.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Afterhours Champion
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:57 pm
 Post Post subject:

vitruvius wrote:

I'm not necessarily.

To be fair, though, you first brought up the broad category of it being the best Asian food around, and you also slammed the entire Cleveland restaurant scene, so I don't think you can really slam us for being overly broad in comparisons.

Fair enough. Though, what I meant by the best Asian food was that it was the best food I'd had, regardless of regional/country cuisine, as it speaks to the fact that I finally had scored in that department.

I just have such a fondness for most of those cuisines, and eat and have eaten so much of it, that I got used to a certain level of quality and availability....i guess that first post was worded in such a way that it might be misconstrued.

I will, however, stand by my original assertions as far as the entire umbrella of different Asian cuisines go based on my personal experience so far: 1 or 2 Indian joints and 1 or 2 Thai joints for an entire city is piss fucking poor. I've still never had good Japanese food here, and have basically had good Chinese once, and that was in 1995. The Vietnamese I've had is average, and I've never seen any Korean joints. It's not trying to slam Cleveland for the fuck of it. It's stating a fact in relation to having a basis of comparison, and at the same time a wish that things were different.

The entire review of Ty Fun contained nothing less than 95% positive praise and glorious rejoicing, and 5% disdain for living in a place with a low Asian population as it pertains to my being able to satisfy my gastronomic cravings. Again, those damn internets.

Posted by: TekKnowProd Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:30 am
 Post Post subject:

Siam Cafe
3951 St. Clair Ave.
Cleveland, Ohio 44114

No atmosphere, good Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese.

Mix Librarian
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:53 am
 Post Post subject:

TekKnowProd wrote:
Siam Cafe
3951 St. Clair Ave.
Cleveland, Ohio 44114

OOOO.. I used to eat here years ago and it was awesome.. but they moved and I didn't know where they went.

I would bet it is the same place.. they have a bunch of really weird drinks.

Posted by: NRM Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mod from the Future
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:19 pm
 Post Post subject:

TekKnowProd wrote:
Siam Cafe
3951 St. Clair Ave.
Cleveland, Ohio 44114

i have always loved this spot but i find it inconsistent, sometimes a dish i had last visit was great, next time its bland.

still ones of my faves

Posted by: Shubs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:44 pm
 Post Post subject:

Being Indian, I can definitely say that I haven't had good Indian food in Cleveland. Mind you, I am not a big fan of Indian food myself, but I do definitely do know Indian food.

My biggest concern with Asian food is the lack of variety for Vegetarians. Does Ty Fun have decent selection? I'd be willing to try it out if they do.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Posted by: TekKnowProd Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Afterhours Champion
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:45 pm
 Post Post subject:

Only place Ive had indian in the area

Saffron Patch
1244 Weathervane Lane
Akron, OH 44313
330-836-7777

Superb, and I ate alot of indian food made by my indian friends back at Kent.

Note: There are a few other "Saffron Patch"s in the Cleveland area, dont know if they are related or just sharing a name, cannot vouch for them.

Mix Librarian
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:55 pm
 Post Post subject:

Shubs wrote:
Being Indian, I can definitely say that I haven't had good Indian food in Cleveland. Mind you, I am not a big fan of Indian food myself, but I do definitely do know Indian food.

My biggest concern with Asian food is the lack of variety for Vegetarians. Does Ty Fun have decent selection? I'd be willing to try it out if they do.

*MOST* asian places will toss tofu in your dish instead of meat. Not your cheap chinese places but every thai/vietnamese/cambodian/malaysian/burmese place I've been to in the area are happy to throw some bean curd in instead of some swine or whatever.

As far as indian.. the aforementioned Saffron Patch rocks.. in akron there is also raj mahal... Raj is a little less high quality than saffron patch but still tasty.

Posted by: NRM Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Mod from the Future
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:01 pm
 Post Post subject:

TekKnowProd wrote:
Only place Ive had indian in the area

Saffron Patch
1244 Weathervane Lane
Akron, OH 44313
330-836-7777

Superb, and I ate alot of indian food made by my indian friends back at Kent.

Note: There are a few other "Saffron Patch"s in the Cleveland area, dont know if they are related or just sharing a name, cannot vouch for them.

yeah cleveland has one in shaker that has been there for over a decade.

i also like the indian place across from richmond mall and some of the cafe tandoors are better than the others.

whats that indian place in lakewood like?

Posted by: Shubs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List
 Trainspotter
Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:53 pm
 Post Post subject:

I've eaten at the one Saffron Patch in Cleveland, and the food is far from good. Very bland and tasteless. Only good thing they had was the Samosa.

I wish they could have a Copper Chimney in the US. Primo mughlai food.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Page 1 of 2